BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

25 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Excellent performance by the Under-21's last night at St. George's Park - and what an outstanding venue that is.  

We really ought to have won by more than one and controlled the game for long periods.  Joe Hilton was faultless in goal and looks a real prospect.  The two young centre-back - Hayden Carter and Sam Barnes were outstanding whilst Brad Lyons ran the show in midfield.  Stef Mols worked tirelessly - another impressive display by this lad.  Quite how Lyons and Mols can't make the bench I find astonishing at times.  It would be a real blow if these two lads end up leaving without being given at least a chance in a Cup game to show what they can do.

Finally, what an impressive place St. George's Park is as the centre for our national game.  The Hotel, the FA Building the floodlit pitches - indoor and outdoor - are all immaculate.  It must cost a fortune to maintain it at that level but I suspect the hotel brings in a huge amount of money with the number of clubs that use it.  The pitches were like billiard tables not a blade of grass out of place.  An unbelievable place!

Thanks Parson. I have only seen Hilton play twice and he looked really good. It beggars belief that we have two error ridden keepers as first choices with the likelihood of neither being here next season when we have a youngster who, with the right platform could shine and potentially be sold on for big money.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Excellent performance by the Under-21's last night at St. George's Park - and what an outstanding venue that is.  

We really ought to have won by more than one and controlled the game for long periods.  Joe Hilton was faultless in goal and looks a real prospect.  The two young centre-back - Hayden Carter and Sam Barnes were outstanding whilst Brad Lyons ran the show in midfield.  Stef Mols worked tirelessly - another impressive display by this lad.  Quite how Lyons and Mols can't make the bench I find astonishing at times.  It would be a real blow if these two lads end up leaving without being given at least a chance in a Cup game to show what they can do.

Finally, what an impressive place St. George's Park is as the centre for our national game.  The Hotel, the FA Building the floodlit pitches - indoor and outdoor - are all immaculate.  It must cost a fortune to maintain it at that level but I suspect the hotel brings in a huge amount of money with the number of clubs that use it.  The pitches were like billiard tables not a blade of grass out of place.  An unbelievable place!

Thanks Parson. I for one really appreciate reading these reports and good to hear the positive feedback about our national centre too.

• Like 7

• Backroom

Shows how much of a shame our meek cup exit was, not saying Mowbray would have tested a couple of the young lads but either way it can’t happen now 

@Parsonblue has Lyons visibly developed since being here? It would always take a while going from a semi pro level to full time, looks like he has some good technical attributes 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 08:52, Parsonblue said:

Only saw it on Wolves TV, but thought we played well, Lyons looks a good prospect and Hilton excellent. Did you spot Joey Barton watching, Fleetwood staying at the hotel there, as they were playing Burton on Saturday.

U-18s beat Sunderland 2-0 on Sunday. Zak Gilsenan and Sam Burns scoring. Looks like Sunderland's team must really suck - they've lost all 11 games and have a minus 36 GD. So they've lost, on average, by more than 3 goals every game!

Our lads are 9th in the u-18 Northern league, level with Manure on points.

Edited by bluebruce

Whitehall a really good player for his age, has looked VERY comfortable when he’s made appearances for the 23’s this year. As has Luke Brennan who I suspect will be next to sign a deal.

• Backroom

I don't get to many U23s games, but with the injury to Evans and maybe Smallwood going out on loan, how's Brad Lyons looking? 

He was on loan at St Mirren in the SPL last year and their fans seemed to rate him..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madon said:

I don't get to many U23s games, but with the injury to Evans and maybe Smallwood going out on loan, how's Brad Lyons looking? 

He was on loan at St Mirren in the SPL last year and their fans seemed to rate him..

Dunno in general but in the last game the Wolves commentators were saying he was the best player on the pitch and he took his winning goal pretty well.

Wouldn't mind taking cameo looks at a few of these players, you never know who will take to it like a duck to water.

Lyons, JRC, Butterworth when he was fit, Hilton could have been given the cup game, Davenport...but hell, TM didn't even give youth a chance last season when we were the first club in the league whose season was over (couldn't get relegated, couldn't go up). I'm not going to say he doesn't introduce youngsters, because he does (although I think he's had a particularly promising bunch compared to recent years). But he still takes a softly slowly approach with it, as he does in all things.

• Like 3

Thinking very, very, very far into the future, I wonder what are the chances of Dack playing for the U23s in the latter stages of returning to fitness? Could be a great opportunity to see him at Leyland for £3!

On another note, really chuffed to see JRC getting on at the weekend, especially with that assist to Gallagher. Been a big fan of him for ages. Well deserved! Hope Butterworth can get fit and get some first team time also, as another player I rate.

• Like 6

I thought last night's F.A. Youth Cup-tie was a very poor affair.  Charlton looked pretty poor and I honestly didn't think we were that much better.  A good individual goal from Sam Burns but that apart there wasn't much to get enthused about.  A home game with Preston in the next round but we will need to be better than this to make progress.  As one might expect, I thought Whitehall was our outstanding performer and he looked a class above the rest.  Charlton created a few opportunities but were dreadful in the final third of the pitch. 

• Like 5

If anyone's bored and looking for football to watch then the Under 23's are in action.

Game this weekend vs Crystal Palace. 1pm kick off at Brockhall, open to all free admission.