BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

A pretty dreadful game at Brockhall this lunchtime.  Conditions not great but, as always, whenever the Under-23's are filled with first teamers it rarely becomes anything more than a training exercise.  Probably Davenport and Williams the pick of our side, although I thought Tyler had a good game against a robust opponent.  Brereton did score a goal but looks a million miles away from Championship level.  Derby had the experienced Anya playing at left-back but their youngsters looked decent and I can see why they are doing well at this level.

• Like 3

Parson’s post illustrates what we were saying the other day about ‘leagues’ at this level.

We are in a ‘higher league’ than Man Utd ergo we should be bringing superior or at least equivalent talent through. Doesn’t work like that as results can be skewed by days like today when we have half a first team playing and it is quasi-reserve football and not ‘youth’ at all.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A pretty dreadful game at Brockhall this lunchtime.  Conditions not great but, as always, whenever the Under-23's are filled with first teamers it rarely becomes anything more than a training exercise.  Probably Davenport and Williams the pick of our side, although I thought Tyler had a good game against a robust opponent.  Brereton did score a goal but looks a million miles away from Championship level.  Derby had the experienced Anya playing at left-back but their youngsters looked decent and I can see why they are doing well at this level.

Strange, reports said BB played well; so too Davenport, Hilton and Thompson. Whereas Tyler gave away a penalty.

38 minutes ago, den said:

Save this one..

Just a shame it looks like he’s playing against a bunch of 16yo lads.

He really should have gone out on loan. He may have failed Mowbray but Mowbray has also failed him.

1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

Strange, reports said BB played well; so too Davenport, Hilton and Thompson. Whereas Tyler gave away a penalty.

I thought Brereton was awful despite the goal.  Struggled to take people on and little basic control.  Perhaps a run in the Under-23's might build up his confidence but I really don't see the basics in the lad at the moment.  Hilton didn't have that much to do but saved a poorly struck penalty - the lad makes goalkeeping look easy, he's calm, does the basics well and because of his build is confident in coming for crosses.

As I said, Davenport used the ball well in midfield and linked up will with Johnson. 

I thought Tyler did well against a very difficult opponent who took no prisoners.  He got out of position for the penalty and had to make a tackle from the wrong side otherwise I thought he looked pretty decent considering he's played so little football in recent weeks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I thought Brereton was awful despite the goal.  Struggled to take people on and little basic control.  Perhaps a run in the Under-23's might build up his confidence but I really don't see the basics in the lad at the moment.  Hilton didn't have that much to do but saved a poorly struck penalty - the lad makes goalkeeping look easy, he's calm, does the basics well and because of his build is confident in coming for crosses.

As I said, Davenport used the ball well in midfield and linked up will with Johnson. 

I thought Tyler did well against a very difficult opponent who took no prisoners.  He got out of position for the penalty and had to make a tackle from the wrong side otherwise I thought he looked pretty decent considering he's played so little football in recent weeks.

Well good to hear you think Tyler is going better, as he was run ragged on loan. 

Both reports I saw gave a glowing report on Brereton. And the boss was also very positive. Whist critical of 'rash' Tyler.

But always good to.hear other views.

9 hours ago, benhben said:

Chapman just posted a video on Instagram of him watching tv with two inflated leg braces or something on. Presume hes managing some sort of issue. 

That's Holtby isn't it?

7 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Well good to hear you think Tyler is going better, as he was run ragged on loan. 

Both reports I saw gave a glowing report on Brereton. And the boss was also very positive. Whist critical of 'rash' Tyler.

But always good to.hear other views.

I was at the game and I thought Brereton was distinctly average. The goal aside he didn't offer too much and was playing as an orthodox centre forward. I just don't see many positives about him. Of the other senior players Williams was the best and Johnson, after a shaky start dominated midfield along with Davenport who was fine. Samuel was more in the Brereton category for me. I was more impressed by both full backs though. Both looked to get on the front foot but they both had a physicality to them which they will need if they ever got a chance in the first team. And Hilton looks ready to at least displace Leutwiler on the bench.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Joe Nuttall was banging them in for the U23s once upon a time. It doesn't mean a great deal, especially when you see that other traits of their game aren't yet ready for first-team football at the level we want. Imagining Brereton getting a run of goals in the first team between now and the end of the season is a complete dream! But that's all it is.

In 2 sentences ,I literally said it was unlikely 

https://theathletic.com/1579893/2020/02/04/barrow-national-league-rooney-guardiola/ Nice article on Barrow's (so far very successful) efforts to play possession football in the National League. Both Platt and White on loan there at the moment and playing regularly, although no real specific mention given to either as the focus is more on the manager, Evatt. (And apologies if you're stymied by the paywall!)

Could be a sign of a good loan opportunity - teach them possession-style football in a tough-and-tumble lead. (Not necessarily Platt and White, who are both probably major longshots, but future non-league loans...)

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, skous18 said:

When is Butterworth due to return from his injury and do people reckon he will get a chance in the first time?

Fractured a bone in his spine I believe, out for the season most likely, he must be gutted after coming on with Buckley last season 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Fractured a bone in his spine I believe, out for the season most likely, he must be gutted after coming on with Buckley last season 

Given the injury situation in attacking midfield/strikers area of the pitch  he would have probably got a game or two now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces