BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

26 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I wonder if any of the Barrow lads where due to play, we did have a couple up there....I can't think of any other potential reason 

You mean Platt and White? 

Wasnt it Burnley decision to play the game there at Morecambe since it's their home game? 

39 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I didn't know it was their home match. Didn't they send a few on loan to Morecambe in January?

I'm unsure tbh. 

Surely it would better held at Stanley ground so fans from both set of clubs could attend. I would of attend if it was local. But Morecambe is too far. Please Children are off school so Ideal to hold the match locally. 1pm Kick off would have great

Edited by chaddyrovers

Alright now can someone explain this to me - D'Margio Wright-Phillips, son of Shaun, 18 years old, has made a couple of starts for us recently, scored against Preston. Looks a handy player.

Apparently he's on loan from Man City in an under 18s deal, and from what I've found in the press he seems pretty highly rated in Manchester (though tbf there might just be articles about him floating around because of the famous surname)

What does this mean? Are we literally being subcontracted to develop other teams youth players now? Are we being paid for this or are we paying to have someone else's player in our u21s? Surely the point of the youth teams should be to develop our players not those of a team a division above us swimming in cash? Who's getting the benefit here?

I'm sure its perfectly normal and all, I just don't know how these things work.

• Like 1

Would like to think it’s with a view to taking on an imminently ending contract...

But like you I really don’t know and find it odd if not.

Maybe City feel bad about letting him go because of the “legendary” status of his dad? ?

1 minute ago, AspRover said:

Alright now can someone explain this to me - D'Margio Wright-Phillips, son of Shaun, 18 years old, has made a couple of starts for us recently, scored against Preston. Looks a handy player.

Apparently he's on loan from Man City in an under 18s deal, and from what I've found in the press he seems pretty highly rated in Manchester (though tbf there might just be articles about him floating around because of the famous surname)

What does this mean? Are we literally being subcontracted to develop other teams youth players now? Are we being paid for this or are we paying to have someone else's player in our u21s? Surely the point of the youth teams should be to develop our players not those of a team a division above us swimming in cash? Who's getting the benefit here?

Here's Sharpe guessing that he's out of contract in the summer: 

So, this could be him having a trial with Rovers before a potential summer signing.

Or, if he's simply getting some game time he wasn't getting in their academy or he's being put in the shop window in general, with the Tosin loan seemingly going well, this could be part of a budding loan relationship between Man City and Rovers, which could be mutually beneficial. There was also Jack Byrne a few years ago and I recall rumours of us trying to loan in Jack Harrison last year. Top PL teams seem to be watching their loan prospects much more closely these days, so it helps to build up a rapport and a track record.

Even if highly rated, hard to imagine him entering the Man City lineup anytime soon, so could be a good example of the academy castoffs we should target. Turns 19 later this year, so it's starting to be make or break time for him.

Yeah maybe, a couple of articles from last September covering him signing his first pro contract though, seems odd that they'd give him a one year contract in September and loan him out in January with the prospect of him leaving at the end of it. Unless all that Man City wanted from the contract was the press coverage!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9891154/arsenal-ian-wright-dmargio-wright-phillips-shaun-man-city/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-transfers-wright-phillips-17672439

Edit: dates.

Edited by AspRover

I think if us and the Dingles win our next FA youth cup games we play each other.

Be absolute panic at the thought of it, but I remember the two games in 2012 (?) were great atmospheres played in front of decent crowds, with not a hint of bother.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2020 at 12:29, AspRover said:

Shaun Wright-Phillips has an 18 year old son? Those Wright men seem to settle in early. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Where next? Isle of Man? Orkneys?

Here an idea, hold the game at Dingle home ground. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Isn’t this Burnley’s home game? If so, as much as as it smacks of penny-pinching, Rovers can’t be blamed for this fiasco. Unless they are blocking an evening ko time...

Its Burnley home game. Down to them to sort out

On 05/02/2020 at 12:20, RoverCanada said:

https://theathletic.com/1579893/2020/02/04/barrow-national-league-rooney-guardiola/ Nice article on Barrow's (so far very successful) efforts to play possession football in the National League. Both Platt and White on loan there at the moment and playing regularly, although no real specific mention given to either as the focus is more on the manager, Evatt. (And apologies if you're stymied by the paywall!)

Could be a sign of a good loan opportunity - teach them possession-style football in a tough-and-tumble lead. (Not necessarily Platt and White, who are both probably major longshots, but future non-league loans...)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18284085.highly-rated-rovers-youngster-makes-first-loan-switch/

Vale now on loan at Barrow too, joining Platt and White.

We can sneer at the National League, but playing under a seemingly innovative coach and (highly successfully) playing a high-possession, passing game in a league full of players looking to give you a good kicking sounds decent for development! Could be a good loan relationship to continue if they do get promoted to L2.

Platt apparently getting plaudits from Barrow fans. It is the National League, but perhaps. He's out of contract in the summer, but I think Mowbray did mention him among the young CBs he'll be looking at in the summer, so perhaps we shouldn't rule him out just yet.

3 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18284085.highly-rated-rovers-youngster-makes-first-loan-switch/

Vale now on loan at Barrow too, joining Platt and White.

We can sneer at the National League, but playing under a seemingly innovative coach and (highly successfully) playing a high-possession, passing game in a league full of players looking to give you a good kicking sounds decent for development! Could be a good loan relationship to continue if they do get promoted to L2.

Platt apparently getting plaudits from Barrow fans. It is the National League, but perhaps. He's out of contract in the summer, but I think Mowbray did mention him among the young CBs he'll be looking at in the summer, so perhaps we shouldn't rule him out just yet.

I think that's a good move for him. He's ready for senior football and a few months there will make him ready for another loan next season. Barrow is heading for League 2 so might another season there. 

I've praised him on several occasions and he's got a lot of attributes to become a good all-round striker. Next step for him now is senior football and this should do him the world of good. Championship is probably a step too far atm, but he could be ready in the next couple of seasons.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/march/lewis-links-up-with-fylde/

Lewis Thompson off on loan to AFC Fylde.

Seems a stranger one than Vale, given he's a bit older, Fylde are a worse team than Barrow (battling relegation from the same league) and we are weak at left back. But experience of mens football is experience of mens football.

Edited by bluebruce