BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Development football is not the same as first team, Mike.

Winning matches, titles, trophies is great but it isn’t what it is about.

If he’s out of contract in the Summer then fine, it’s a punt.

He is out of contract.Article in the telegraph today that it's a sort of trial.Sean Wright Phillips was watching from the stands yesterday 

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I went to the game at Ewood and think there was around 10k on. How many would attend a final these days? Not sure you would get a third of that to be honest.

I think you’re right. Don’t think there will be that many on sadly. For that reason I hope the club publicise the crap out of this fixture. For the overwhelming majority of these players playing in front of a 5 figure crowd will most likely be the pinnacle of their careers. Hope they get to.

I’ll definitely be treating it with the same attending commitment as if it were the first team.

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I wouldn't be expecting all these lads to suddenly burst through in the next couple of years.

Our last squad to get to the final in 2012, only Lenihan really came through to play for the first team, although Jack O'Connell has made a decent career for himself too and currently plays in the top flight.

The Youth Cup final squad of 97-98 only had Martin Taylor and David Dunn come through I think. I went to the game at Ewood and think there was around 10k on. How many would attend a final these days? Not sure you would get a third of that to be honest.

If we could get three quality first team players from that bunch it would be superb.

Duff was also part of the same batch as Dunn and Taylor but he was fast tracked to the Premier League at 17 :) Also worth mentioned James Beattie who was only a year older than Duff/Taylor.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, briansol said:

Duff was also part of the same batch as Dunn and Taylor but he was fast tracked to the Premier League at 17 :) Also worth mentioned James Beattie who was only a year older than Duff/Taylor.

Yes you are correct, I didnt include Duff as he was already a first team regular by the time this final came around. Think he made his debut on the final day of the previous campaign.

A poster on Facebook is saying that he spoke to the parents of Sam Burns on Friday night, who say he's to be released in the summer. Shame because he looks a great player.

40 minutes ago, JoeH said:

A poster on Facebook is saying that he spoke to the parents of Sam Burns on Friday night, who say he's to be released in the summer. Shame because he looks a great player.

That seems strange. Only 17 still and the Arsenal commentators were jizzing over him. Said he was the type of player that bigger academies would be looking to poach. I know it was only one game but definitely looked worth persevering with for another year or two at least. We don't seem especially flush with strikers at that level. 13 games 5 goals in the league, 4 games 3 goals in the cup, a few appearances for the u23s...doesn't fit the profile of someone we would usually release.

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That seems strange. Only 17 still and the Arsenal commentators were jizzing over him. Said he was the type of player that bigger academies would be looking to poach. I know it was only one game but definitely looked worth persevering with for another year or two at least. We don't seem especially flush with strikers at that level. 13 games 5 goals in the league, 4 games 3 goals in the cup, a few appearances for the u23s...doesn't fit the profile of someone we would usually release.

Is he signed up to the wrong agent?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Surely this cant be right? He will make it as Professional footballer IMO

4 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Burns (and others) was told during the week that he was getting released. 

If you didn't know you can tell by his body language after his goals and also the final whistle. This cup run is hopefully going to save and make his career.

I have never seen the player in question so am not in a position to express an opinion on this decision, if it has been correctly reported. But to be fair to those at the club who  have to decide who goes on from youth level to the pro ranks, I can't offhand think of a single mistake in the last 10 years in failing to hold on to someone who proved to be any good.

9 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Burns (and others) was told during the week that he was getting released. 

If you didn't know you can tell by his body language after his goals and also the final whistle. This cup run is hopefully going to save and make his career.

Very surprise by this. I see Burns has having the ability to kick on. Can you post who the others are? 

4 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Sam Burns has subsequently been offered a pro..along with all second years except for Chanka Zimba.

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. Game of opinions but Sam Burns showed real maturity to put in a performance like that after hearing the news last week. The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

12 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. Game of opinions but Sam Burns showed real maturity to put in a performance like that after hearing the news last week. The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

If true, good work by Mowbray.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

Edited by Sparks Rover