BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You might query his position etc but ultimately he made zero attacking contribution in either start which as an attacking player is ok to point out. Im sure he tried his best and worked hard but just as its right to acknowledge a good pass at Hillsbrough, its ok to acknowledge the lack of impact in his two starts without pretending otherwise and equally its not negative or not giving him a chance to do so. Hopefully he will do something when his next start comes about.

Tbh, the entire team struggle to make impact in either game which you have to acknowledge. 

He did try his best and word hard in both game. Against Fulham asked to do a role which wouldnt suit him and most of our players. Against Boro started left but we struggle going forward as a team if my memory serves me right. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You might query his position etc but ultimately he made zero attacking contribution in either start which as an attacking player is ok to point out. Im sure he tried his best and worked hard but just as its right to acknowledge a good pass at Hillsbrough, its ok to acknowledge the lack of impact in his two starts without pretending otherwise and equally its not negative or not giving him a chance to do so. Hopefully he will do something when his next start comes about.

How do you feel he has looked in a straight comparison with Buckley? Personally I think he looks a better player and more likely to fit into the cut and thrust of Championship football once he finds his footing. Physically better, more stuck in, and technically hasn't looked any worse for me. Aside from Sheff W there was another game where I thought he looked decent but not outstanding. I can't remember which. He's been a bit anonymous in a few others, but so have players like Rothwell at times. Even Dack is known to look like he's barely there for a stretch (though obviously he does tend to still deliver the goods at the goal end).

I'm intrigued to see how he does next season, and probably consider him the most likely to be the next breakthrough to regular football in our first team, if he gets enough of a run at it. These things can change so quickly though, especially when we've barely seen the players in question and they're youngsters breaking through. I remember seeing Jay McEveley mark Beckham almost out of a game and think he was gonna go on to be a star, whereas other youngsters have underwhelmed for a while before breaking through.

42 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

How do you feel he has looked in a straight comparison with Buckley? Personally I think he looks a better player and more likely to fit into the cut and thrust of Championship football once he finds his footing. Physically better, more stuck in, and technically hasn't looked any worse for me. Aside from Sheff W there was another game where I thought he looked decent but not outstanding. I can't remember which. He's been a bit anonymous in a few others, but so have players like Rothwell at times. Even Dack is known to look like he's barely there for a stretch (though obviously he does tend to still deliver the goods at the goal end).

I'm intrigued to see how he does next season, and probably consider him the most likely to be the next breakthrough to regular football in our first team, if he gets enough of a run at it. These things can change so quickly though, especially when we've barely seen the players in question and they're youngsters breaking through. I remember seeing Jay McEveley mark Beckham almost out of a game and think he was gonna go on to be a star, whereas other youngsters have underwhelmed for a while before breaking through.

I think Buckley for the vast majority of time has looked as far away as you could possibly be in terms of impacting games, which I think is obviously at least partially down to his physique. I remember him coming on for the first time v Bolton last season and he looked like a little boy whereas Butterworth looked really sharp and got involved. I dont think hes been helped being played out wide, hes not particularly fast. The Charlton away game was a different story, he played as a number 10 and he looked a different player, very smooth picking the ball up on the turn and I can see technical ability there. With Rankin Costello I have not really seen what he is about in admittedly much less game time. He also came on at home as a sub I recall and again looked a little overawed.

I definitely think that there is more scope for Rankin Costello in terms of the position he could play in the team compared to Buckley as we are desperately short out wide whereas Dack and Holtby are number 10s. I suspect the play offs will probably be beyond us a game or two before the end of the season so maybe additional scope to get them game time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

For me Buckley looks incredibly fragile and not massively ready yet. But he's improving and he does have a habit of showing the off flash here or there. You can tell there is a player in there. And once he fills out a little could be a great player

His dribbling is incredible, looks technically fantastic and a good balance. How people don't rate him is beyond me. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

His dribbling is incredible, looks technically fantastic and a good balance. How people don't rate him is beyond me. 

The only game when he really had an influence on the game was that Charlton game. Obviously he scored v Wednesday with a feeble shot that took a big deflection but otherwise hes looked like a little boy lost and has had very little impact on games. Im not saying hes a lost cause or coming to any extreme conclusion myself but equally how you can justify that last sentence based on what weve seen is beyond me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Decent prospect, but it’s a sign of how far we’ve fallen as that quote is how we would’ve described Damien Duff 20 years ago...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The only game when he really had an influence on the game was that Charlton game. Obviously he scored v Wednesday with a feeble shot that took a big deflection but otherwise hes looked like a little boy lost and has had very little impact on games. Im not saying hes a lost cause or coming to any extreme conclusion myself but equally how you can justify that last sentence based on what weve seen is beyond me.

He's being asked to play Right midfield. The kid is a 10. Give the boy a chance

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He's being asked to play Right midfield. The kid is a 10. Give the boy a chance

Its not about giving him a chance ? its the typical go to line of someone who for some reason is unwilling to accept any constructive critical judgement or skepticism. I made it quite clear that I hadnt written him off (same with Rankin Costello) and I know that he has been played out of position and its hard to break through at his age and cement a place but that doesnt warrant the description of his dribbling being "fantastic" him looking "technically fantastic" and of course "how people dont rate him is beyond me." In which first team games bar Charlton which ive praised him for can you highlight performances to warrant such hyperbolic praise? 

At the moment I would suggest that Buckley has had one impressive game and Rankin Costello one impressive pass. I acknowledge they are both young, the former has suffered from being played out of position and they have not had much game time at all between them and I certainly havent written them off as your petulant response suggests but what else have you seen from Buckley to warrant such praise?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Ah that'll be because he hasn't really demonstrated any of that yet (well I'll give him the good balance). Average dribbling without the pace for it to matter, decent technically but far from fantastic (so far, at this level) and lightweight.

As has been said, he's played out of position, still early etc, but I simply haven't seen anything yet to prove the level of hype he had in the u23s or, from some quarters, since. Bar odd brief glimpses. Hopefully he develops and shows what he is really about. I'd love little more than for him or any of our kids to shine.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

On 14/06/2020 at 19:57, roversfan99 said:

acknowledge a good pass at Hillsbrough

Correction: several GREAT passes at Hillsbrough. 

If we're going to criticise his overall gameplay at Fulham and Boro then let's look at the entire Wednesday game instead of playing it off as one moment. He had an impact in more than just one attack. Slightly unfair on the lad.

Can't help but feel as though giving some of the younger lads some 1st team action without the added pressure of a crowd, could be a nice way of ''dipping their toe'' into senior football.

Obviously, I want us to make a run at the playoffs, but if we fail, I'd love to see the last home game (vs. Reading) lineup look like this:

Fisher

Nyambe - Lenihan - Carter - Thompson

Davenport - Travis - Buckley 

Rankin Costello - Brereton - Chapman

With a new season likely to start again in August, the increase to 5 subs and the spike in muscle injuries in the Bundesliga, I'd expect as soon as we're out of contention for a playoff spot, the lineups will get a little experimental!

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Correction: several GREAT passes at Hillsbrough. 

If we're going to criticise his overall gameplay at Fulham and Boro then let's look at the entire Wednesday game instead of playing it off as one moment. He had an impact in more than just one attack. Slightly unfair on the lad.

I am a season ticket holder and get to some away games and watch the majority of others live in full, but to be honest the Sheffield Wednesday game I only saw the highlights of. A reason for my post was to perhaps prompt examples in games or bits of games that I have missed to warrant people being so defensive and being hyperbolic in the case of Buckley. Or indeed remind me of times when he did something in a game I did see.

The main point that I was trying to get across is being so defensive and refusing to accept that players have had minimal involvement in games so far, or going way over the top on them being "fantastic" and totally flabbergasted as to how anyone doesnt rate them is totally needless and not a constructive attitude to take. And equally, to tell someone who has acknowledged the mitigating circumstances/difficulties and not written the player off, indeed going out of their way to say as such, to "give them a chance" is not a useful or relevant comeback.

In regards to Rankin Costello, as I said I didnt see the full game but saw his assist which was perfectly timed and there was also another pass just before in the highlights where it looked like he was trying to play in Gallagher but didnt get the direction quite right and it went behind his legs but ended up going through to Armstrong. It has been touched on that it was against a 10 man team waiting for the FT whistle, but still it takes the ability to make a pass like he did and I have credited him accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Can't help but feel as though giving some of the younger lads some 1st team action without the added pressure of a crowd, could be a nice way of ''dipping their toe'' into senior football.

Obviously, I want us to make a run at the playoffs, but if we fail, I'd love to see the last home game (vs. Reading) lineup look like this:

Fisher

Nyambe - Lenihan - Carter - Thompson

Davenport - Travis - Buckley 

Rankin Costello - Brereton - Chapman

With a new season likely to start again in August, the increase to 5 subs and the spike in muscle injuries in the Bundesliga, I'd expect as soon as we're out of contention for a playoff spot, the lineups will get a little experimental!

As far as I can see our line-ups are usually " a little experimental " !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The main point that I was trying to get across is being so defensive and refusing to accept that players have had minimal involvement in games so far, or going way over the top on them being "fantastic" and totally flabbergasted as to how anyone doesnt rate them is totally needless and not a constructive attitude to take.

I agree.

I think he was poor at Boro and Fulham, as I said. I think to offer up a criticism of his entire game at those games but not his entire game at Wednesday is lob sided however.

I'm not for one second arguing that he was excellent in all three games - he wasn't, but you can't dismiss a good game for him as "just one pass" so to speak, and the other games as just generally poor without offering specifics. Has to be one or the other.