BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

4 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Comfortable win for the Under-23's at Kendal last night.  Four first half goals in a seven minute spell - Vale, Chapman 2 and Nuttall - proved far too much for Kendal.  Credit to them they worked hard in the second half, as the Rovers seemed to ease off, but never threatened our goal.  Louie Annesley again looked impressive at the back whilst Tom White and Brad Lyons held the midfield with little difficulty.  Chapman troubled them with his pace in the first half but often tried to beat one man too many and faded out of the picture in the second half - clearly still working on his fitness.  Nuttall troubled them with his strength and power but his finishing was erratic at times.  An enjoyable night in a very warm Kendal.

Who was in charge of the team Parson?

16 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Comfortable win for the Under-23's at Kendal last night.  Four first half goals in a seven minute spell - Vale, Chapman 2 and Nuttall - proved far too much for Kendal.  Credit to them they worked hard in the second half, as the Rovers seemed to ease off, but never threatened our goal.  Louie Annesley again looked impressive at the back whilst Tom White and Brad Lyons held the midfield with little difficulty.  Chapman troubled them with his pace in the first half but often tried to beat one man too many and faded out of the picture in the second half - clearly still working on his fitness.  Nuttall troubled them with his strength and power but his finishing was erratic at times.  An enjoyable night in a very warm Kendal.

How did White look? 

Big drop down in level that he's used to be playing at, so expect him to stand out.

22 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Tony Carss.  I think Darragh Tuffy was assisting him.

Thanks Parson. Hopefully the wheels are in motion to make a seamless appointment to carry on the great work by Johnson.

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The job is being advertise. 

I was thinking someone like Jimmy Shan might apply for the job

Who is he? I thought I remembered the LT saying applications for the job had now closed?

Edited by bluebruce

Decent run out for the Under-23's at a very wet Brockhall today.  Southport had six former Ewood men in their line-up and gave a good account of themselves with Charlie Albinson outstanding in goal.

Nuttall came up with two, the first a superb free kick over the wall which beat Albinson all ends up.  However, Nuttall's general play was not quite so impressive.  Chapman, again, flattered to deceive and despite his pace there was no end product until the final stages when he created the goal for Nuttall.  Danny Butterworth, recovering from illness, was lively.  The back three of Louie Annesley, Tyler and Matty Platt, were rarely troubled and looked comfortable.  Brad Lyons was the pick of the players for me with a very good display in midfield.

It will be interesting to see who Mowbray keeps and who goes out on loan.  My guess is that Platt, Tyler, Lyons and Nuttall will be given the opportunity to taste first team football elsewhere for the first half of the season before re-evaluating in January.

• Like 7

Well I went to my first ever u23 game today, enjoyed it immensely. We had planned to go to Haig Ave as it’s quite local to us so decided to go anyway when it was changed.

Agree with a lot of Parsons post above, especially about Chapman.He was sharp, pacey + threatening , but too often ends up losing the ball. Unlucky when he hit the bar though.

The stand out for me however was Tom White. On today’s evidence, we’ve got a player here. Strong in the tackle, always available, comfortable on the ball + has certainly got a pass in him. Would like to see him against better opposition but very impressed today.

Charlie Albison was excellent in goal for Port , without him, could have been 5 or 6.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience though + can’t wait to see how these lads progress.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Decent run out for the Under-23's at a very wet Brockhall today.  Southport had six former Ewood men in their line-up and gave a good account of themselves with Charlie Albinson outstanding in goal.

Nuttall came up with two, the first a superb free kick over the wall which beat Albinson all ends up.  However, Nuttall's general play was not quite so impressive.  Chapman, again, flattered to deceive and despite his pace there was no end product until the final stages when he created the goal for Nuttall.  Danny Butterworth, recovering from illness, was lively.  The back three of Louie Annesley, Tyler and Matty Platt, were rarely troubled and looked comfortable.  Brad Lyons was the pick of the players for me with a very good display in midfield.

It will be interesting to see who Mowbray keeps and who goes out on loan.  My guess is that Platt, Tyler, Lyons and Nuttall will be given the opportunity to taste first team football elsewhere for the first half of the season before re-evaluating in January.

Southport seem to do very well off our arrangement with them (we still play our u-23 games there right?). They get to keep tabs easily on our lads and probably get first dibs on the lesser ones we let go, with them being comfortable with the surroundings etc.

Interesting to hear about a 'lack of end product' from Chapman...I don't expect him to be delivering goals and assists all game. An assist and hit the bar in this one and 2 goals in the previous wasn't it? Sounds like enough end product for me. However I'm sure he won't get as many breaks at Championship level so if he isn't consistent with the end product it could be an issue in the first team. Sounds like Arma really. Electric and unplayable at his best, but little more than a nuisance (and an outlet to stretch play) when he isn't. I think our fans are harsh on Arma personally.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Southport seem to do very well off our arrangement with them (we still play our u-23 games there right?). They get to keep tabs easily on our lads and probably get first dibs on the lesser ones we let go, with them being comfortable with the surroundings etc.

Interesting to hear about a 'lack of end product' from Chapman...I don't expect him to be delivering goals and assists all game. An assist and hit the bar in this one and 2 goals in the previous wasn't it? Sounds like enough end product for me. However I'm sure he won't get as many breaks at Championship level so if he isn't consistent with the end product it could be an issue in the first team. Sounds like Arma really. Electric and unplayable at his best, but little more than a nuisance (and an outlet to stretch play) when he isn't. I think our fans are harsh on Arma personally.

The u23s play at Leyland  (Lancashire FA) and before that it was Leigh Sports Village ?

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Everton play at Southport.  Rovers moved from Morecambe to Leigh a number of years ago and for the past couple of seasons have been at the Lancashire FA headquarters at Leyland.  It just seems that over the years a number of our players who drop down the leagues seem to end up at Southport at some point on their travels. 

With regard to Chapman and Armstrong I would say that Armstrong is a far better player at this point in time and Chapman will have his work cut out to get a starting place based on what we have seen in pre-season. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

The u23s play at Leyland  (Lancashire FA) and before that it was Leigh Sports Village ?

Fair enough, don't know why I got Southport in my head. Have we played there when the other facilities were unavailable or something? Or maybe we just played Everton a lot, I dunno.

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

You really don’t like Nuttall, do you.

Doesn’t matter what he does you will always criticise. Think it was about his “wayward shooting” last time out.

Sadly, the lad will get nowhere at this club. Mowbray has made up his mind and so have his pals.

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You really don’t like Nuttall, do you.

Doesn’t matter what he does you will always criticise. Think it was about his “wayward shooting” last time out.

Sadly, the lad will get nowhere at this club. Mowbray has made up his mind and so have his pals.

I think Nuttall has tremendous potential in terms of pace, power, physique etc.  However, there is something missing - that something that I can't quite put my finger on.  He drifts out of games and seems to lose concentration.  He improved around the turn of the year after Mowbray had words with him but then his game drifted again, in my opinion, towards the end of the season.  We played Everton on a number of occasions last season and I compared him with Bassala Sambou and that lad seem to have that missing ingredient.

I dearly wish Nuttall comes good because, as I've said, I think he has all the physical attributes required but that certain something that makes great strikers.

Hopefully we can loan him out somewhere that will enable him to play first team football on a regular basis and then come back and score goals for us.  

As I don't know Tony Mowbray I wouldn't what he and his pals think of Nuttall.  I only know what I think as someone who has watched him an awful lot since he arrived and as someone who really wants him to succeed at this club. 

• Like 3

Chapman must be behind Armstrong, Rothwell, Brereton, Gallagher, Bennett, Downing, Buckley, Butterworth & maybe even JRC now for a starting place in our "front 3".

I'd be amazed if he starts a league game before Christmas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I think Nuttall has tremendous potential in terms of pace, power, physique etc.  However, there is something missing - that something that I can't quite put my finger on.  He drifts out of games and seems to lose concentration.  He improved around the turn of the year after Mowbray had words with him but then his game drifted again, in my opinion, towards the end of the season.  We played Everton on a number of occasions last season and I compared him with Bassala Sambou and that lad seem to have that missing ingredient.

I dearly wish Nuttall comes good because, as I've said, I think he has all the physical attributes required but that certain something that makes great strikers.

Hopefully we can loan him out somewhere that will enable him to play first team football on a regular basis and then come back and score goals for us.  

As I don't know Tony Mowbray I wouldn't what he and his pals think of Nuttall.  I only know what I think as someone who has watched him an awful lot since he arrived and as someone who really wants him to succeed at this club. 

The trouble is that a player like Nuttall needs regular game time (as, I expect, does Brereton) while at the same time Mowbray has a rotation policy that takes no account of form or ability or potential. They are like pinball machines that he just plugs in and expects them to operate. That’s bad enough but he then has the cheek to talk about players needing to “take their chance”. Nuttall took his chance when he first came into the side last season and was then dropped as soon as the eternal crock Samuel was back (temporarily). Rothwell took his chance but is in and out of the side. To a lesser extent Williams took his chance but it’s looking like Mulgrew is back in favour. Brereton also took his chance when actually played as a number 9 but then Mowbray-sense prevailed.

My view is that Nuttall is an out and out striker who Mowbray can’t put out wide as he seems to want to do with his strikers. He could be the next Jason Roberts or Kevin Davies if he had a manager who believed in him. Sadly Mowbray is a tinkerer who buys too many midfielders and attackers and then spends his time trying to find a system which they can operate in, while the all take turns at being in the side. Meanwhile he sticks with mediocre players in defence who he leaves to it, barely even recruiting them (preferring to convert midfielders), let alone having enough depth for healthy competition.

• Like 1