Jump to content
blueboy3333

Academy & U21s

Recommended Posts

Rovers are to participate in the Premier League International Cup

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17802738.rovers-participate-premier-league-international-cup/

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-international-cup-explained

A look at last seasons competition shows that it was spread out over the full season:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Premier_League_International_Cup

It would be nice to see Rovers games on iFollow :rover:

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rovers are to participate in the Premier League International Cup

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17802738.rovers-participate-premier-league-international-cup/

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-international-cup-explained

A look at last seasons competition shows that it was spread out over the full season:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Premier_League_International_Cup

It would be nice to see Rovers games on iFollow :rover:

A look at last season's competition also shows a certain Sam Gallagher notched a winning goal in it for Southampton in the first group stage game. Against eventual finalists Dinamo Zagreb.

Edited by bluebruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

Sounds like that was quite a test for our youngsters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

Sounds like that was quite a test for our youngsters!

U23s facing tougher competition in preseason than our first team, couldn’t make it up. The whole of the close season has been utterly incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

Sounds like that was quite a test for our youngsters!

That’s ridiculous to even call it an U23s team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

U23s facing tougher competition in preseason than our first team, couldn’t make it up. The whole of the close season has been utterly incompetent.

Hang on didn't we beat Rochdale 5-1 behind closed doors ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it was an U23s game Stuart, just a Utd 11 v Rovers U23s. I suspect it was hastily arranged to give the Utd players more game time, or maybe it's something that they normally do versus Bolton but couldn't this season for obvious reasons & we stepped in last minute.

Pure speculation on my part mind, but it would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even our ladies have had stiffer opposition. Our pre-season has been poor in my view and led to over-confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

I don't think it was an U23s game Stuart, just a Utd 11 v Rovers U23s. I suspect it was hastily arranged to give the Utd players more game time, or maybe it's something that they normally do versus Bolton but couldn't this season for obvious reasons & we stepped in last minute.

Pure speculation on my part mind, but it would make sense.

You’ve got to hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Lutwiler

Nyambe Magloire Grayson JRC

Buckley Smallwood Evans Chapman

Vale

Brereton

 

Cheers Skip. Any idea if we gave them a closer game than the scoreline might suggest, standout performers or injuries? Any sign of Samuel or Williams?

Sorry for the bombardment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Cheers Skip. Any idea if we gave them a closer game than the scoreline might suggest, standout performers or injuries? Any sign of Samuel or Williams?

Sorry for the bombardment!

I know the game was organised more for united than Rovers, it was 3-0 at halftime, 2nd half a raft of changes for Rovers with some other u23s getting a run, the only players to get 90 mins were Nyambe, JRC and Vale for Rovers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope our lads have learned a thing or two from the United boys.

Glad this game went ahead............good experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

Sounds like that was quite a test for our youngsters!

Maguire and Rashford amongst the bench but off duty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United agreed not to steal any promotions from the women's team for 2 years in return for providing cannon fodder...I mean opposition at short notice.

Premier League International Cup draw has placed Rovers in a group with Newcastle United, Benfica and Hertha Berlin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers are interviewing 6 candidates this week. I'm hoping for announcement at end of the week

Window dressing, we all know Judan Ali has it in the bag 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Window dressing, we all know Judan Ali has it in the bag 

Please don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

They started brightly, controlling possession for the first 15 minutes, but then we took control. Isaac Whitehall was really effective at the back and French centre-back Flavien Boyomo was immense too. We managed the game and looked much more energetic than them. We could've been 2-0 up by 70 minutes but it wasn't to be. Special mention for midfielder Chanka Zimba who came on in the second half and blew me away. A massive presence in midfield who had so much more physicality than everyone else on the pitch, and always the ball seemed to find him.

Bright future at all levels in our academy it would seem. Jalil Saadi and Zak Gilsenan also looked bright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

They started brightly, controlling possession for the first 15 minutes, but then we took control. Isaac Whitehall was really effective at the back and French centre-back Flavien Boyomo was immense too. We managed the game and looked much more energetic than them. We could've been 2-0 up by 70 minutes but it wasn't to be. Special mention for midfielder Chanka Zimba who came on in the second half and blew me away. A massive presence in midfield who had so much more physicality than everyone else on the pitch, and always the ball seemed to find him.

Bright future at all levels in our academy it would seem. Jalil Saadi and Zak Gilsenan also looked bright.

Don't we have a highly rated 16/17 yr old fullback too? Jake Garett I think is his name. How did he play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Don't we have a highly rated 16/17 yr old fullback too? Jake Garett I think is his name. How did he play?

Didn't have a team sheet so don't know if he played, but supposedly fought off "top 6' club interest to keep him at the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.