BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Don't we have a highly rated 16/17 yr old fullback too? Jake Garett I think is his name. How did he play?

Didn't have a team sheet so don't know if he played, but supposedly fought off "top 6' club interest to keep him at the club. 

1-1 hf time. Mols with a very neat finish. Arsenal scored a penalty. Hilton saved the penalty and they scored the rebound.

rovers with a very young side out due to tomorrow's game with Oldham have been the far superior side and rob holding is playing at the back for arsenal. Very good first half 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

On 08/08/2019 at 13:00, JoeHarvey said:

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

They started brightly, controlling possession for the first 15 minutes, but then we took control. Isaac Whitehall was really effective at the back and French centre-back Flavien Boyomo was immense too. We managed the game and looked much more energetic than them. We could've been 2-0 up by 70 minutes but it wasn't to be. Special mention for midfielder Chanka Zimba who came on in the second half and blew me away. A massive presence in midfield who had so much more physicality than everyone else on the pitch, and always the ball seemed to find him.

Bright future at all levels in our academy it would seem. Jalil Saadi and Zak Gilsenan also looked bright.

Looks like on Saturday though, the u-18s got spanked at home by Liverpool....7-1!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Screenshot_20190812-200228_Twitter.jpg

No Fisher even on the bench...interesting. Loan deal maybe about to happen?

Is that Garrett on the bench our 16-year old defender Jake Garrett? Interesting to see him in a u-23 squad already. One to watch I think.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

No Fisher even on the bench...interesting. Loan deal maybe about to happen?

Is that Garrett on the bench our 16-year old defender Jake Garrett? Interesting to see him in a u-23 squad already. One to watch I think.

Fisher playing tomorrow? Would make sense to give him a game over the Canadian imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Fisher playing tomorrow? Would make sense to give him a game over the Canadian imo.

Could be. Would have thought maybe the Canadian would get game time in the U-23s if that were the case though. Get him some game time for if he is needed later in the season, so he can be sharper. You can still have up to three senior players I think?

On 08/08/2019 at 13:00, JoeHarvey said:

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

Apologies, JoeHarvey, for only quoting this first paragraph of your heartening post about this game; but my inner cynic couldn't resist the chance to point out similarities with the first team.

Sorry.

Disappointing defeat tonight which didn't really reflect the balance of play. Thought we were looking good value for a point which would have been a good start to the season for what was a young and inexperienced side missing the familiar faces of the last couple of seasons (Grayson, Buckley, Butterworth, Rankin Costello). Rare event of 3 penalties all awarded to one team and all scored but couldn't really have any complaints with any of the decisions as it was very easy for the referee to award them. 

Hope we get a manager sorted soon as it has gone on long enough. The number of games we have to get through at u23 level really means we need a decent manager in place to lead us through it and up for the challenges ahead competing in a multitude of competitions this year.

• Like 2

It could be a tough season for the Under-23's depending on what happens to the likes of Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Butterworth etc.  With Tyler already out on loan and others likely to follow it will be a young team.  It will take time for the younger ones to come in and adjust to a different level.

I thought that we competed extremely well for about two-thirds of the game last night before Arsenal's possession football began to put us under sustained pressure.  We tired over the closing period, after having put so much effort into the game, and gave away soft penalties.  They were definitely penalties but really tackles that, I suspect, were caused by tiredness - both physical and mental.

Stef Mols was outstanding until forced off by injury and Brad Lyons gave a powerful performance in midfield.  Jack Vale ran them ragged at times until he tired over the closing stages.  Charley Doyle, normally so reliable, had a night to forget.

• Like 2

Jack Vale a great player, who will carry that team, but him and Mols the only real attacking presence without Nuttall, Butterworth or JRC. Could've done with a young striker in for that team really, as I'm sure the midfield will be okay with Lyons and White. Thompson/Evans great Left-Backs and at centre-back we've Platt, Grayson from time to time, Carter and Annesley. We just don't have any other attackers really besides the Under 18's.