BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Magloire played in the 5-2 League Cup win for Rochdale over Bolton. I guess their fans weren't too impressed with their first impression though, as this player rating vote has him down as the worst player on the pitch, including the subs: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/match-ratings/rating/match:6288

Mind, it also has Jason Lowe down as one of the best players on the pitch, so what do they know eh?

On 13/08/2019 at 18:30, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers closing in a new under 23's head coach acvording to LT

The selection will say a lot about the future direction on the U23s - and Mowbray’s view of it.

Another Ben Benson and it’s curtains. A credible appointment - an ambitious ex player or experienced development coach - and maybe it still has an important part of our future. Surely Venkys won’t let their investment be wasted.

Theres no point in TM mollycoddling young players and saying they're ready for the 1st team when, as Tuesday showed, many of them are not (at least consistently) despite their obvious talent & ability at U23 level.

A bit of tough love can help keep their feet on the ground , though I accept there can be a fine line.

He clearly rates them as prospects or he wouldn't be playing them after having watched many U23s games. I've not seen these  comments he's meant to have made deriding the academy, but the evidence in the squad (not only his brooding of many U23 players but also the fact of not signing another CB indicates a belief on their ability to step in as cover when required this season.

As for the new manager, I am very confident they will look to another young, progressive appointment in the Johnson mould in view of his success. I'm not sure how obvious or experienced he was as a candidate when he got the job, so whoever's comes in we'd be sensible not to judge a book by its cover. Theres clearly a good crop of players there and a good coaching staff to work with, so that should at least ensure that the quality of candidates is right up there.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2019 at 00:58, bluebruce said:

Magloire played in the 5-2 League Cup win for Rochdale over Bolton. I guess their fans weren't too impressed with their first impression though, as this player rating vote has him down as the worst player on the pitch, including the subs: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/match-ratings/rating/match:6288

Mind, it also has Jason Lowe down as one of the best players on the pitch, so what do they know eh?

He’s very poor, from what I’ve seen.

On 15/08/2019 at 06:34, Stuart said:

The selection will say a lot about the future direction on the U23s - and Mowbray’s view of it.

Another Ben Benson and it’s curtains. A credible appointment - an ambitious ex player or experienced development coach - and maybe it still has an important part of our future. Surely Venkys won’t let their investment be wasted.

Billy Barr...to be promoted he Is very much front runner apparently 

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

Billy Barr. Kind of has a Ben Benson, Ben Brereton, Bruno Berner, “BB” edge to it.

Doesn’t inspire me in the slightest. Wonder if it will inspire the young players?

If he changes his name will that make you happy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Good appointment if true.  Like Johnson, when he took over the Under-23's, has a good knowledge of the Academy, worked with the players during their formative years and has produced some decent teams at Under-18 level.  Last season he was working with Johnson at a number of games - Billy and Mike Sheron shared the duties, after Dunny left, on matchday as you have to have two qualified coaches on the bench.  A different character to Johnson but well qualified and a decent coach. 

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Thanks for sharing that. Do you know if Jimmy Shan apply for job? 

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Good appointment if true.  Like Johnson, when he took over the Under-23's, has a good knowledge of the Academy, worked with the players during their formative years and has produced some decent teams at Under-18 level.  Last season he was working with Johnson at a number of games - Billy and Mike Sheron shared the duties, after Dunny left, on matchday as you have to have two qualified coaches on the bench.  A different character to Johnson but well qualified and a decent coach. 

Agree Parson

Just now, 47er said:

Again, I think Johnno will succeed TM. Promoting from within does appear to be Venky's preferred modus operandi.

Sticking with something that hasn't worked! way to go.

It seems to work fine in Chicken rearing, slaughter and experimentation and Football is just a business .... ...

Plus it's cheap.

Was Mowbrays recent "not good enough to play Oldham" comment direct at Youth or Senior players? Can anyone confirm?

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Sticking with something that hasn't worked! way to go.

It seems to work fine in Chicken rearing, slaughter and experimentation and Football is just a business .... ...

Plus it's cheap.

Was Mowbrays recent "not good enough to play Oldham" comment direct at Youth or Senior players? Can anyone confirm?

Saves on travel expenses for interviewees!

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Ok fine, so what do you know about him that has you so uninspired?

Not sure what you are driving at here, Bruce. You seem to be trying to make some kind of point and going about it in a very petty way.

The bloke has no pedigree in the game with which to “inspire”. His playing career zenith was at Crewe in the 90s and his management experience is non-existent: a couple of brief caretaker roles.

Does that inspire you in that you look up to him or are impressed? He has done very little in the game to make fans sit up and take notice as far as I’m concerned.

Please do enlighten everyone with where I have said he is a bad coach, if that is the point you are trying to make?

Our U23s are about to go backwards, and all because Mowbray has pulled Johnson and is in no hurry to bring in a credible replacement which, given his recruitment record, is about par. Now we are looking like not bothering and just promoting from within because it’s easier.

Fire away with whatever clever comeback you have lined up. :rolleyes:

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

@Stuart, can I please ask how much of the under 18's you have seen under Billy Barr? 

Same as you Chris.

I’m not sure why the word ‘inspire’ is so hard for people to understand. Maybe it’s because we’ve forgotten what it feels like to be inspired by Venky’s Rovers.

Looks like we are heading back to going for the cheapest option. Probably because Mowbray wastes all of our money on strikers who can’t strike!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Not sure what you are driving at here, Bruce. You seem to be trying to make some kind of point and going about it in a very petty way.

The bloke has no pedigree in the game with which to “inspire”. His playing career zenith was at Crewe in the 90s and his management experience is non-existent: a couple of brief caretaker roles.

Does that inspire you in that you look up to him or are impressed? He has done very little in the game to make fans sit up and take notice as far as I’m concerned.

Please do enlighten everyone with where I have said he is a bad coach, if that is the point you are trying to make?

Our U23s are about to go backwards, and all because Mowbray has pulled Johnson and is in no hurry to bring in a credible replacement which, given his recruitment record, is about par. Now we are looking like not bothering and just promoting from within because it’s easier.

Fire away with whatever clever comeback you have lined up. :rolleyes:

Players with fantastic playing careers have made terrible managers and coaches in the past.  Likewise, people with moderate playing careers have been hugely successful as both managers and coaches.  A coach inspires players with his coaching methods, by improving the players not by what he himself as done as a player.  If a successful player puts on poor coaching sessions the youngsters will quickly pick up on that - as footballers do at all levels. 

You say the U23s are about to go backwards but how can you tell?  The U23 squad for this year is totally different from the one we've had over the past two years - that's the natural progression of Under-23/Under-18 football.  They tend to work in two-year cycles and then the players either graduate to the first team squad, move out on loan or are released.  It's quite possible that the players this year in the Under-23's won't perform quite as well as last seasons - particularly during the early part of the season when they are finding their feet at a new level.

The players, for the most part, with which Johnson has enjoyed such success over the past two seasons were given the foundations by Billy Barr at Under-18 level.  If Billy can develop one or two of the forthcoming crop of Under-23 players into first team prospects he will have done his job successfully - just like Johnson, Kinder, and Bowyer before him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Same as you Chris.

I’m not sure why the word ‘inspire’ is so hard for people to understand. Maybe it’s because we’ve forgotten what it feels like to be inspired by Venky’s Rovers.

Looks like we are heading back to going for the cheapest option. Probably because Mowbray wastes all of our money on strikers who can’t strike!

What do you mean same as me? 

Stuart, i asked the question cos I know you watch some of Rovers under 23's football.