BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

28 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

I like that. Seeing him there at the dressing room post match was mightily impressive.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

I would imagine First team staff get more involved with pros at 23's upwards. The club employs managers at different levels to make these decisions. It could be budgets, positions, etc that determines who gets what. Plus, the loan system for young pro's. To suggest a first team manager gets involved with every scholar decision would seem to stretch it a bit in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

I would imagine First team staff get more involved with pros at 23's upwards. The club employs managers at different levels to make these decisions. It could be budgets, positions, etc that determines who gets what. Plus, the loan system for young pro's. To suggest a first team manager gets involved with every scholar decision would seem to stretch it a bit in my opinion. 

Ok, Mowbray has undermined his junior managers then who have seen him for 2 years, on the strength of a game.....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

"Him stunting their growth"

Mmm,well that's one take on it, I don't think it is the right one though. 

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

I suppose it's part and parcel, so I would hope they are realistic. Still not easy though. 

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, Mowbray has undermined his junior managers then who have seen him for 2 years, on the strength of a game.....

That's how hierarchical management works. It's not undermining. It's leadership and making a decision. He could hardly just accept every decision a manager below him makes with regards what players are kept on. 

If he kept some on and it didn't work,I am sure some would be asking why he offered the contract. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's how hierarchical management works. It's not undermining. It's leadership and making a decision. He could hardly just accept every decision a manager below him makes with regards what players are kept on. 

If he kept some on and it didn't work,I am sure some would be asking why he offered the contract. 

He must miss a few then 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2020 at 02:09, bluebruce said:

Christ, you've got some memory, remembering the names of up to seven youth team players from 1958 who never made it!! Fair play!

Griffiths

Wells, Pickering

England, Newton Leech

Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey

Barry Ratcliffe played a good few first team games for Rovers but when Ferguson and Harrison came along that was that.

Vinnie Leech had a good career at Bury and Rochdale. I played against his younger brother John, he was top amateur midfielder.

David Wells was doing really well at Rochdale when he broke his leg.That finished him.

Alan Bradshaw was a stalwart of the Rovers Central League team for years with the odd first team appearance.

Jervis, Daly and Mulvey had a few games for various teams in the old Fourth Division. A old pal of mine played with Daly for Manchester School boys. He was doing some scouting for City years later and came across Paddy Daly still playing amateur football when he was about 45 and he was still running the game.

Barry Griffiths just drifted out of football.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

U23s Burnley game at Curzon Ashton??? Tameside.2.00pm on a Thursday.  What the bloody ell is going on?

Burnley usually play reserve matches at Curzon Ashton. The odd part is that they've already tried having it at Morecambe and Oldham.

Things get even more complicated when you consider that tonight we are playing Wolves in the knock out stages of the competition, before completing the group stage 3 days later.

So if we lose tonight we are out of the competition, but then have to prepare for our final group game v the dingles.

Mental.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Griffiths

Wells, Pickering

England, Newton Leech

Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey

Barry Ratcliffe played a good few first team games for Rovers but when Ferguson and Harrison came along that was that.

Vinnie Leech had a good career at Bury and Rochdale. I played against his younger brother John, he was top amateur midfielder.

David Wells was doing really well at Rochdale when he broke his leg.That finished him.

Alan Bradshaw was a stalwart of the Rovers Central League team for years with the odd first team appearance.

Jervis, Daly and Mulvey had a few games for various teams in the old Fourth Division. A old pal of mine played with Daly for Manchester School boys. He was doing some scouting for City years later and came across Paddy Daly still playing amateur football when he was about 45 and he was still running the game.

Barry Griffiths just drifted out of football.

Great things were expected of Daly as i recall. Little bloke wasn't he? Think i remember being called the new Douglas!

Funny how some things don't work out.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Great things were expected of Daly as i recall. Little bloke wasn't he? Think i remember being called the new Douglas!

Funny how some things don't work out.

Yeah, he wasn't very big. We've had a few " New Bryan Douglas's ". My pal really rated Daly highly when they were lads, he was one of the few who could give Nobby Stiles the run around in schools football. My pal also played against Stiles and he reckoned getting tackled off Nobby was like getting an electric shock up your leg !

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 12:18, Snarley02 said:

Sam Burns has subsequently been offered a pro..along with all second years except for Chanka Zimba.

Also weird, for him to be the only one missing out. Has 8 goals in 13 games! Must be either an attitude thing, or contract talks haven't panned out.

(Before anyone says, unlikely to be because some other club has a deal lined up, as by not offering him a deal we lose our right to compensation)

On 08/03/2020 at 12:31, Snarley02 said:

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. 

The goalie? Nah pretty sure he wasn't released, they bought him. Was rumoured to be about half a million. I remember being amazed as they were paying that for him to just be backup in the youth team, more than we have paid for a first team keeper in years.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

The goalie? Nah pretty sure he wasn't released, they bought him. Was rumoured to be about half a million. I remember being amazed as they were paying that for him to just be backup in the youth team, more than we have paid for a first team keeper in years.

Yeah it was compensation but he never got offered a pro at Rovers. 

59 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

We wouldn't get offered any compensation if we didn't offer him a pro, unless he was still in contract at the time. Which from memory I think he was. So probably still on his youth contract and Liverpool couldn't be arsed to wait til it ran out and see whether he got released. But he wasn't released, pretty sure of that part.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Snarley02 said:

Anything on Zimba and why no deal? Saw he’d scored a few when seen reports 

Shame, I quite like Zimba, but I trust the people who see these players every day to make those decisions. Our issue has never been getting decent 18's talent into our Under 23's squad, it's the transition from 23's to first teamer.

Wharton, Platt & White are the first names which ring a bell. They're at an age where they should be playing for our first team, or not at the club at all. You can add Davenport and Chapman to that list, they're too good to be playing 23's football at Blackburn, but not good enough for a Top 6 CH team.

Wharton made his debut for Rovers about four years ago, has been on countless loan spells since and clearly just isn't good enough. At one time, in the Under 23's, he had that potential. Yet unlike Travis, who got a call up, a real run in the side and a chance to cement his name, Wharton has been pimped around League Two and League One for three years, stagnating. Same thing happened to Lewis Hardcastle, who thankfully will be back in the FL next season.

We've got to be harsher at 23's level I'd say. Too many players in our development squad that haven't "developed" for seasons on end.
Basically, I like the Barrow thing, but I like it with Jack Vale, not Matty Platt. Platt should've been released, he's never going to make it with us, Vale still could, he's young enough.

Both Zimba and Burns play as strikers for the 18's.

It might be a case of "look, only one of you will get any kind of game time underneath Butterworth at 23's level next season, the other will mostly struggle to make the bench in the PL2." 

Zimba may be choosing to not extend for this reason?

The U23's are playing the rearranged game against Burnley at Curzon Ashton's ground this afternoon, KO 2pm. Anybody going, free to season ticket holders. I checked with the ticket office five minutes ago just in case it got called off again.

• Like 1