BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Radio rovers

I have some experience in challenging authority on radio when I used to ring in to talk sport regularly. I once challenged some well known Geordie journalist when he said Burnley were a better supported club than rovers, Tom watts was the most pleasant radio presenter I have spoken to

I generally listen on my way to/from Ewood in the car mainly to get the team news but also to check what the players/manager thinks after the game...

Must say, the "presenters" are pretty rubbish...

Instead of getting plenty of fans views on air they spend ages chatting between themselves like a couple of mates would over a few cans at home?

It gets pretty boring to listen to so Im glad the signal can only be received for a small part of my journey!

Whats really poor is how they ask the same questions to each person they interview with the same responses obviously being received.

"do we feel its a case of when we do get that first win we will be able to really kick on this season"

"Is it a feeling of disappointment in the dressing room after that"

In their position they should be asking the tough questions, challenge the poor form, the poor decisions, the reasons for certain team selections etc.

• Like 1

Not liking the new player for live commentary, before you could click a button to listen to opposition commentary, now you have to log into oppositions site to listen to it then log out when game as finished and in to Rovers player to hear the humourous after dinner speech

Edited by perthblue02

Was also a bit confused with the lengthy conversation with Henley about the Wales International stuff.

Great he has been called up but I'm not really assed about hearing about how they are getting on when I'm tuned in for Rovers stuff...

I'm confused as to why you would think Rovers' own radio would not have a gargantuan rose tinted pro-club editorial leaning.....listen to something else.

There hasn't been anything I posted that points to me thinking the station would be anything but a "gargantuan rose tinted pro-club editorial leaning" broadcast...

I do however stand by the fact the presenters should be asking the more difficult questions and not repeating the same five questions to each person they interview.

Radio Rovers is absolute garbage. Stuck in the past and refusal to move in the current ages. It should be responsible for the atmosphere building pre match instead the fools simply turn us all off.

Should be turned off or the programme should be totally rehashed.

Radio Rovers is absolute garbage. Stuck in the past and refusal to move in the current ages. It should be responsible for the atmosphere building pre match instead the fools simply turn us all off.

Should be turned off or the programme should be totally rehashed.

Comes in handy when you can't get to matches.

The thing with Radio Rovers, it has a massive part to play at the club. In my opinion it has a number of functions that would seriously help out the club and get the fans behind the team.

1. For those fans who cannot get to the game and who can receive it, the show has a responsibility to provide entertaining match commentary, views and opinions and NOT in a biased manner. So, to change the current style, why not invite a fan onto the commentary to give their perspective ? It would certainly give an objective view of how a fans sees the game rather than relying on the rubbish they spout.

2. Pre match build up. RR are a vital cog in creating atmosphere pre match. With the right build up, right music it can get the fans up for it, it can get the players bouncing and it can create an atmosphere that works for the club and and goes against the opposition. Ewood can be a very loud stadium and the atmosphere can be electric. The current RR serves only to diminish any lingering atmosphere pre match.

3. Pump up the volume 15 minutes before kick off. Adopt a series of music and pick a new final minute anthem that gets us rocking. Bin "the wild rover", its long gone in the past and turns everyone off. We are not wild anymore we are simply a downbeaten club, treading the water until we ultimately sink under the waves unless changes happen.

4. RR does it arse about face. At half time they play better music but by then we are 1-0 down or losing !

5. At the end they punt out a tune like we have won, trouble is we haven't and the fans are heading home disgruntled !

6. After match, as long as I can tune in on the frequency, all I hear is the dreadful tones of 2 muppets and no fans. RR should be about the fans not about the two boring punters lamenting on how we failed to win, how well we player or how unlucky we were. Involve the fans and tell how it really is. Stop waxing lyrical about rubbish inept performances.

If someone from RR reads this, take note and improve your programme. Move into the year 2015. Pump up the volume with a new set of music, Loud and Proud not boring old crap. Set the standards at the next home game and see what type of atmosphere you can bring to the game.

You never know, it might entice GB to try and use tactics to get the best out of his players !!!!!!!!

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE, CHANGE or TURN OFF

• Like 2

Know what you're saying 1864, but I think a lot of it must be down to budget cuts.

For example, the TVs/big screen offering used to be called 'RoverVision' with theme music, screencards, a proper studio etc.

Now it's Neil Yardley pitch side reading out the teams, then legging it up to the gantry to do the commentary for Radio Rovers, then legging it back down to do the half time (now pitiful) draw, then legging it back to do the second half commentary, then chatting to the Radio Rovers host post match between interviewing players and Bowyer.

Radio Rovers is the same, no features, no guests, hardly any callers. Just a load of crap music pre match (who listens to music on medium wave these days!), then a studio chat and a couple of interviews post match.

Think back to the glory days and it was a completely differnt operation.

Edited by Mattyblue

Know what you're saying 1864, but I think a lot of it must be down to budget cuts.

For example, the TVs/big screen offering used to be called 'RoverVision' with theme music, screencards, a proper studio etc.

Now it's Neil Yardley pitch side reading out the teams, then legging it up to the gantry to do the commentary for Radio Rovers, then legging it back down to do the half time (now pitiful) draw, then legging it back to do the second half commentary, then chatting to the Radio Rovers host post match between interviewing players and Bowyer.

Radio Rovers is the same, no features, no guests, hardly any callers. Just a load of crap music pre match (who listens to music on medium wave these days!), then a studio chat and a couple of interviews post match.

Think back to the glory days and it was a completely differnt operation.

Definitely budget cuts. I'm pretty sure Rover Vision was made by CreaTV (Alan Yardley's company) and the level of staff involved must be far less as they had a close up cameraman and a wide angle cameraman in the gantry, plus studio cameramen. The footage taken was used on MOTD etc and I expect that contract would have paid quite a bit and would help provide a slicker production like when Graham Liver used to present it.

Re the current radio programme, I quite like the views of Neil Yardley though, much better than Gerald who's backside must have been a fire hazard with the amount of splinters he must have picked up sitting on the fence for twenty years. People need to bear in mind, you can't bite the hand that feeds you too hard but you can tell Neil doesn't buy GB'S excuses - but he is a proper Rovers fan.

Quick question; If you subscribe to radio rovers - can you use other teams commentaries on the same platform or is it just Rovers?

As often it's interesting (and maybe better?) to listen to the other teams commentary and opinions.

I think you are referring to Rovers Player and the answer I think is yes you can.

Think we have to remember that we didn't have anywhere near as much fan frustration or anger at what's happened as we do now. RR has always been full of propaganda - I don't think anything has changed on that front, but on and off the pitch, it certainly has. The blind positivity is just magnified for that reason alone.

Furthermore, I remember when that Scottish bloke used to be on. He was very well disliked, so it wasn't all rosy for RR, even back then!

I quite liked 'Scottish John.'

Very passionate.

The monotone commentator - who snoozed his way through to the early 2000s- used to do by head in.

He didn't have an enthusiastic bone in his body. He was so devoid and dreadry, I doubted he was a rovers fan - or if he even liked football.

Edited by A cup of beans

• 1 year later...