BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Norman Bell v Chris Brown

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither Thompson (who was decent on his day and scored 26 in 100 appearances) nor Round (who scored five in five at one point in his Rovers career and is a great supporter of the club). The first name of the player in question was John - might have been John Lowe (not John Lowey but he had a name very similar to another player about that time)

Sean Curry, hotter than vindaloo said the song. He was more like what follows the morning after !

Sean Curry was okay. He scored in a win at Maine Road and had a perfectly good goal chalked off at White Hart Lane in a league cup match (would have been the winner too).

He was a bit like a poor man's David Speedie.

A good lad as well, proper scouser!

Blimey. that brings back memories. I was at that game and our defence made O'Mara look like a world beater. I was delighted when we signed him - then the reality kicked in. Incidentally, we lost that game at Brentford 4-0 and the club seemed in a spiral of decline from which there seemed no escape. A bit like the present day in fact.

That was the longest journey back I have ever had from watching Rovers.

Sean Curry was okay. He scored in a win at Maine Road and had a perfectly good goal chalked off at White Hart Lane in a league cup match (would have been the winner too).

He was a bit like a poor man's David Speedie.

A good lad as well, proper scouser!

I'll take your word for it pal :)

All I remember is hating him after an awful performance away at Bradford and then him going awol from the club. He claimed he wanted more money or something because he could make more painting and decorating with his mate, it was in the Telerag. Mackay had to go to Liverpool to try and persuade him to come back. It did seem he had an awful attitude.

I'll take your word for it pal :)

All I remember is hating him after an awful performance away at Bradford and then him going awol from the club. He claimed he wanted more money or something because he could make more painting and decorating with his mate, it was in the Telerag. Mackay had to go to Liverpool to try and persuade him to come back. It did seem he had an awful attitude.

There wasn't much truth in that story mate

That was the longest journey back I have ever had from watching Rovers.

Longer than Selhurst Park 1989 Tony?

Fair enough, I'm not even sure if I recall correctly but I do remember it being in the paper. Only very vague memories of him as a player apart from at Bradford, think I was at that City game if it was the one we won 2-1. Think Mark Patterson got the other ?

Fair enough, I'm not even sure if I recall correctly but I do remember it being in the paper. Only very vague memories of him as a player apart from at Bradford, think I was at that City game if it was the one we won 2-1. Think Mark Patterson got the other ?

He did indeed. I got to know Sean through Patty. We had been thoroughly drubbed 6-0 on our previous visit to Maine Road and Patty was a City fan as a kid, so it was very special to him personally to notch that day.

He did indeed. I got to know Sean through Patty. We had been thoroughly drubbed 6-0 on our previous visit to Maine Road and Patty was a City fan as a kid, so it was very special to him personally to notch that day.

I thought Patty was a boyhood Rover although my Bolton mates tell me he was a boyhood Wanderer Ha Ha!

Anyway he made me happy that day because it was massive going to Man City and winning for me as a young'un. I seem to remember it being very ropey getting away after as well, didn't take defeat well that Kippax lot back then.

I thought Patty was a boyhood Rover although my Bolton mates tell me he was a boyhood Wanderer Ha Ha!

Anyway he made me happy that day because it was massive going to Man City and winning for me as a young'un. I seem to remember it being very ropey getting away after as well, didn't take defeat well that Kippax lot back then.

If he reads this MB he'll probably be on the phone to me for outing him as a young City fan, but you have to remember that when me and Patty were kids, Rovers were in the third division, so as well as supporting Rovers we all had our favourite first division team (mine was Liverpool). He was NEVER a Wanderers fan. I've travelled to Burnden Park with him a few times supporting Rovers as teenagers. We got chased a time or two an' all lol. And funny you should mention bother that day at City, a mate of mine got into the only fight of his life (on a football ground) that day just after the final whistle blew.

Not sure if it was that game but I do recall one around that time were the City lot were just climbing over the fence running through the empty bit and climbing into the away section. The coppers didn't move until a good few had got in !

Not sure if it was that game but I do recall one around that time were the City lot were just climbing over the fence running through the empty bit and climbing into the away section. The coppers didn't move until a good few had got in !

It was that very game Tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

Mark is Definitely a Roves fan. I played in same team as him as a teenager and still see him now and again these days. He did have a pic of himself playing in Full members cup, proudly hung up in his house, one time I popped round.

John O'Mara was the worst I ever saw. He played against us at Brentford around 1972 and scored. I'm sure he was signed on the strength of that. He was useless and would have been more at home on pitch 10 at Pleasington.

Awful as O'Mara was, he scored 10 in 35 appearances for Rovers and had a good scoring ratio at all the other clubs he ever played for (admittedly not as high standard as the Championship). Brown has yet to even score in nearly 30 appearances for Rovers and his previous goal scoring ratio is pretty appalling too.

Poor old Norman Bell being compared to Chris Brown, don't think you could insult Norman anymore than this.

Norman is a regular in the JW upper this thread should be deleted as whoever started it is completely disrespectful

Also people have to realise the gulf wages wise to Normans era to the wages of the rubbish of brown graham etc

Archived