BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn confirms Rovers departure/Appreciation Thread

Each to their own.

He could have jumped ship before he went to Birmingham but didn't.. when he did he regretted it. Everyone makes mistakes and for him to have as many caps as he does for our club, in my eyes, shows dedication.

350+ appearances shows dedication also madon.

Gordons always had a stick in his backside when it comes to dunny, its just more recently he's tried to rewrite history.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An absolutely superbly talented footballer, injuries hampered what could have been an outstanding career.

He still has it in him to produce those bits of magic and the goal against Bolton( ? ) in more recent history shows as much.

Definitely a Rovers legend, it's a shame his career with us will end whilst we are on such a downer.

Good luck to him, wherever that may be.

Great player who would have been so much greater but for his injuries. Remember when he was coming up, and expecially when he was with Duff and Jansen, he looked like a potential England player for years to come. Maybe his injuries were partly down to him being a fat lad but great memories of him.

Should have played far more than he has over the last couple of years as when he did play he stood out a mile at this level.

I have had the privilege of dealing with Dunny a number of times and he always comes across as a decent bloke who loves the club.

On the pitch the axis he formed with Duff and Jansen between 2000-2002 was fantastic, as a Rovers fan it was great to watch, particularly towards the end of the 2001-2002 season when they scared the living daylights out of Premier League defences at time. Dunny’s career has been defined by the injuries that he has sustained, because of them he has had to evolve his game. Ronnie Clayton once said "When he gets the ball you sit up and think 'something's going to happen'. With a lot of players, you don't get that feeling. We need more people like him in football. You see a lot of good players who don't dribble these days but he does and it gets you excited."

Then of course there were the games against Burnley. Robbie Savage said that before the Burnley Cup FA Cup match, Dunny (who was at Birmingham) had rung him a number of times and told him in no uncertain terms about what this game meant to the people of Blackburn. The injury time equaliser in the 2013 match at Ewood will always be remembered. When he was on the pitch in the games against Burnley, it always felt like it was one of us on the pitch, he just knew what it meant to the fans and the club.

David has given the fans so many moments of joy and as the chapter of his playing career with Rovers comes to a close we should remember and acknowledge his achievements. Dunny is the local boy who “lived the dream”.

Will he get a game against Ipwich or will his fee be too high for the owners?

I am sure he would waive his fee to be on the pitch at the end on Saturday to say he farewell to the crowd.

Quality player. Great dribbler, driver, passer, when in form he was always worth a goal or two. His best years were undoubtably the promotion season and season after that where he looked a certain England's international for years to come. Duff, Jansen and he were tremendous.

After that season things came a bit undone. Injury was part of that, as well as being a bit of a square peg. Not really a winger, second striker or central midfielder he would be shunted around and out of the side. Particularly when Tugay turned up he was relegated to the bench as too much of a luxury. It was unfortunate for David he was fighting for his role against arguably the most talented player ever to pull on the blue and white halves. Then he fell out with Souness.

When he came back he was a bit part player still. Savage, Tugay, Bentley and Pedersen were the first choice under Hughes for a number of seasons. When Bentley left under Ince he got more opportunities but never really captured his early promise. His second real purple patch was an excellent run in 2009-2010 under Allardyce as a second striker. He had such a run of goals and quality performances (including against Burnley) briefly people were asking if he could be a late runner for the 2010 England world cup squad. At the end of 2010 Allardyce was sacked, and he faded out of the team again, making a return from time to timw to score some great goals. Last seasons effort against Bolton was particularly memorable.

Thanks David for the trickery, great goals (especially against Burnley) and being a rovers legend.

Local lad and a bit of a plant pot at times but that's what makes him who he is, a character. Truly the last of our modern day cult heroes and what a player on his day, more talent in his little finger than half the squad now and a proper footballing brain. Surely this is the type of guy you want passing on his talent to youngsters in the academy set up ? Anyway best of luck to the guy, I don't think he's finished yet !

I have had the privilege of dealing with Dunny a number of times and he always comes across as a decent bloke who loves the club.

On the pitch the axis he formed with Duff and Jansen between 2000-2002 was fantastic, as a Rovers fan it was great to watch, particularly towards the end of the 2001-2002 season when they scared the living daylights out of Premier League defences at time. Dunnys career has been defined by the injuries that he has sustained, because of them he has had to evolve his game. Ronnie Clayton once said "When he gets the ball you sit up and think 'something's going to happen'. With a lot of players, you don't get that feeling. We need more people like him in football. You see a lot of good players who don't dribble these days but he does and it gets you excited."

Then of course there were the games against Burnley. Robbie Savage said that before the Burnley Cup FA Cup match, Dunny (who was at Birmingham) had rung him a number of times and told him in no uncertain terms about what this game meant to the people of Blackburn. The injury time equaliser in the 2013 match at Ewood will always be remembered. When he was on the pitch in the games against Burnley, it always felt like it was one of us on the pitch, he just knew what it meant to the fans and the club.

David has given the fans so many moments of joy and as the chapter of his playing career with Rovers comes to a close we should remember and acknowledge his achievements. Dunny is the local boy who lived the dream.

I can't possibly beat that post Kamy.

Best wishes to Dunny, a Rovers legend.

Like many have said, he was wonderful in the promotion and Worthington cup winning seasons.

His Goals against Burnley will go down in folklore.

Dunny lived out his dreams and fulfilled ours.

Should have been utilised more, in recent seasons.

All that needs to be said is : thank you, David.

Gutted that he's'so leaving, I wish him all the best of luck for the future, and hope that he can return here one day, possibly as a manager. A true Rover through and through, I'll always remember that goal against Burnley in the 95th minute, watching it on a stream on a laptop. Best of luck for the future, Dunny, and thanks for everything. David Dunn Is Blue And White

In reality he shouldn't have been given a contract the last two seasons but no matter he is one of my favourite ever Rovers players and a true Club legend. So much talent.

I've also met him briefly on a number of occasions and just as importantly I've always found him a top class bloke. Shame he fell out with Souness when the latter had started to lose the plot at Ewood, I'd far rather he'd have stayed at the Club than Souness.

All the best for whatever he does in future If it doesn't conflict with his other activities he'd be absolutely ideal for an ambassadorial role at the Club. Maybe helping to attract young talent to the Academy?

That's assuming the manager would give them a chance which isn't really happening at the moment.

Club legend! Though sadly has the 'unfitness gene' or he could have done a decent job for us during the past 2 seasons. and as he says leave us "with the club in its rightful position in the Premier League" (food for thought for the Rovers Fans here).

Where now? A football management course? Rather Dunny than GG and tier 3.

Archived