BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] i phone 6

Damn ! This apple addict won't be upgrading to the iPhone 7 in September, and will wait for the iPhone 8 next year.

The most reliable info says that the 8 next year will be a return to glass on glass construction (like the old days), a curved screen, retina and facial recognition rather than fingerprint security, OLED panel, wireless charging etc etc.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn ! This apple addict won't be upgrading to the iPhone 7 in September, and will wait for the iPhone 8 next year.

The most reliable info says that the 8 next year will be a return to glass on glass construction (like the old days), a curved screen, retina and facial recognition rather than fingerprint security, OLED panel, wireless charging etc etc.

Obviously I was talking rubbish ! Had the iPhone 7 plus for three months now, it's fantastic. Got the 128gb in jet black, bloody gorgeous, battery lasts for ages, the dual camera is awesome and the whole device is very fast indeed.

Very happy (until September comes around !)

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to the iOS 10.3 beta 1, and things feel a bit snappier. Not much changes , apart from the file system change, so interesting as the update was 2GB's in size

Also going to update the Nexus 6P and see how that goes

Updated to the iOS 10.3 beta 1, and things feel a bit snappier. Not much changes , apart from the file system change, so interesting as the update was 2GB's in size

Also going to update the Nexus 6P and see how that goes

I think smartphones have plateaued to be honest, there isn't an awful lot you can improve now. Going for the plus was a good move, the standard 7 feels small in the hand, the only thing I wish apple would improve is voice recognition, nowhere near as good as google.

I think smartphones have plateaued to be honest, there isn't an awful lot you can improve now. Going for the plus was a good move, the standard 7 feels small in the hand, the only thing I wish apple would improve is voice recognition, nowhere near as good as google.

Well yes, and there is nothing new that you can jump with and call it a game changer. It's small things like less bezels, thinner, better camera etc. But those are things that are normally improved upon year after year. It's the software side I would like to see big changes of, not really the hardware side

• 3 months later...

So my "trusty" Nexus 5x bit the dust after 18 months of use. Out of warranty, no insurance, google telling me to speak to LG and LG not giving a hoot (because it was out of warranty) left me stood in the car phone warehouse being shown phenomenally over priced phones to purchase by a carphone warehouse employee.

When the hell did phones start costing so much?

Anyway, left with an iphone SE, not had an iphone since the days of the 3g. I'm impressed so far with the phone to be honest, even if it is a little on the small side.

Any good apps out there I should know about?

Well my iPhone 5 SE still ticks along very nicely. Battery life could be better but I can live with that. I don't really understand people's constant desire to upgrade to the latest this, that or the other. Most upgrades are minor, one needs to wait 2-3 years for major improvement. 

Apps? Depends on your lifestyle. I use the following:

Sky wifi finder

BT wifi finder

Onedrive

MS Note, Excel and Word

BBC weather and news

The Guardian

Various sports apps - Strava etc

a number of travel related apps  - Airbnb, Rail Planner, Tom Tom

Banking and other financial apps

I agree with the last 2 posts.  The high end phones do seem to have peaked in price however the low end ones are reasonably priced just with very few bells and whistles.

In February after 2 and a bit years of use I dropped my Nexus 6 and the screen shattered.  I started to look for a replacement to find that Google have WAY over priced the Pixel to levels of the iPhone.  No chance I was paying around £700 for a phone.  I then found that the tier down could not compete spec wise with my 2 year old phone.  None of them had the qhd screen that mine has, or they don't have enough internal memory.  More annoyingly, Carphone Warehouse have stopped listing all the specs in  store so they tell you the size of the screen but not the resolution.  They also rarely tell you the usable storage.

I was told that 2 coming phones the Huawaui (sp?) P10 and the One Plus 5 probably would fill the gap for spec vs price. However these still have not been released.

Thankfully I found I was covered on my current account rewards so I got a fixed screen for £30.  Best money I've spent.

As Paul says, phone technology really isn't moving fast enough to warrant new phones every year these days.  I'll happily hold onto mine until something is far better at a reasonable price.

Another quick comment if/when I need a new phone I'll probably go for a Motorola G4. Bought the G3 for my lad 2-3 years ago. Still functioning perfectly. It does all I need : email, web, various apps, camera, MS stuff. £140. Why pay £700?

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Well my iPhone 5 SE still ticks along very nicely. Battery life could be better but I can live with that. I don't really understand people's constant desire to upgrade to the latest this, that or the other. Most upgrades are minor, one needs to wait 2-3 years for major improvement. 

Apps? Depends on your lifestyle. I use the following:

Sky wifi finder

BT wifi finder

Onedrive

MS Note, Excel and Word

BBC weather and news

The Guardian

Various sports apps - Strava etc

a number of travel related apps  - Airbnb, Rail Planner, Tom Tom

Banking and other financial apps

I would have kept my 5x for a lot longer if it hadn't died. I was hoping to get a Pixel when the price dropped.

I don't really understand the need for constant upgrades either but the popularity of phones must still be incredibly high for carriers to be able to charge up to (if not beyond) £60 per month on some of the latest handsets. I couldn't believe the cost was so high on some phones.

36 minutes ago, Biddy said:

I agree with the last 2 posts.  The high end phones do seem to have peaked in price however the low end ones are reasonably priced just with very few bells and whistles.

In February after 2 and a bit years of use I dropped my Nexus 6 and the screen shattered.  I started to look for a replacement to find that Google have WAY over priced the Pixel to levels of the iPhone.  No chance I was paying around £700 for a phone.  I then found that the tier down could not compete spec wise with my 2 year old phone.  None of them had the qhd screen that mine has, or they don't have enough internal memory.  More annoyingly, Carphone Warehouse have stopped listing all the specs in  store so they tell you the size of the screen but not the resolution.  They also rarely tell you the usable storage.

I was told that 2 coming phones the Huawaui (sp?) P10 and the One Plus 5 probably would fill the gap for spec vs price. However these still have not been released.

Thankfully I found I was covered on my current account rewards so I got a fixed screen for £30.  Best money I've spent.

As Paul says, phone technology really isn't moving fast enough to warrant new phones every year these days.  I'll happily hold onto mine until something is far better at a reasonable price.

The P10 was offered to me by the carphone warehouse when I went in. I would have been keen but I think it was circa £45p/m which was a lot more than I was looking to pay.

The other thing about phones is contracts. When I worked I was a heavy user and for retirement I was unsure what to do. 

In the end I plumped for a £1/week sim only deal. The data element is tiny so I keep that for emergencies. As a BT customer I can access wi fi almost anywhere. Sky - I'm not a subscriber - usually fills any BT gaps. I've found I don't need mobile data and £1/week easily covers my calls and texts. 

Archived