BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fracking

Heard on the radio there's been anti fracking protests in Preston. So I was thinking where do actual local people sit on fracking in Lancashire? Much of a concern?

Don't know much about it myself but seems to me as there's no industry as such or money coming into this area if it brings in investment and jobs then nothing there's not much else going on. If it was we were sat happily on diamond/gold mines and oil fields there'd be no need to bother fracking but where there's nothing surely beggars can't be choosers.

From what I've gleaned from the news clips the companies seem to say after teething problems there's limited to no environmental impact whereas the protesters cracking on like it'll be Armageddon. It also seems swampy and his protesting mates aren't from the area and just tour up and down protesting.

So either the protesters are right (not too sure about that) and it's a problem or they are just this generations Luddites and hippies with too much time on their hands who are likely to be protesting anything and everything from fracking, hs2, hs3, runways, etc.

Heard on the radio there's been anti fracking protests in Preston. So I was thinking where do actual local people sit on fracking in Lancashire? Much of a concern?

Don't know much about it myself but seems to me as there's no industry as such or money coming into this area if it brings in investment and jobs then nothing there's not much else going on. If it was we were sat happily on diamond/gold mines and oil fields there'd be no need to bother fracking but where there's nothing surely beggars can't be choosers.

From what I've gleaned from the news clips the companies seem to say after teething problems there's limited to no environmental impact whereas the protesters cracking on like it'll be Armageddon. It also seems swampy and his protesting mates aren't from the area and just tour up and down protesting.

So either the protesters are right (not too sure about that) and it's a problem or they are just this generations Luddites and hippies with too much time on their hands who are likely to be protesting anything and everything from fracking, hs2, hs3, runways, etc.

Think you nailed it there,

Talking of runways, personally I think Boris island should be the solution

Edited by yoda

I think it's somewhere in the middle tbh! The fracking area isn't too near to anywhere residential is it?

I'm a mile away and it's hammered house prices and I don't believe the money produced will stay here or there's that many jobs produced. But I can still see how the nation could benefit. I'd like to see the Thames Valley/ Home Counties also heavily fracked at least then we could all share in the heavy chemical waste produced.

We can't expect any political help here in the Fylde as we voted in a Tory MP and he's to busy smoking illegal immigrants cOck while high on drugs.

Edited by Jock

• Moderation Lead

I'm a mile away and it's hammered house prices and I don't believe the money produced will stay here or there's that many jobs produced. But I can still see how the nation could benefit. I'd like to see the Thames Valley/ Home Counties also heavily fracked at least then we could all share in the heavy chemical waste produced.

Ah right, I wasn't entirely sure.

Re the bit in bold, it might be a cold day in hell before that happens!

• Like 1

Maybe Gideons Patch around Wilmslow, Alderley Edge and Prestbury should be Fracked.

The same Gideon who's father in law is the chief lobbyist for the Fracking Industry.

In other words Fracking will be done if we are pro or against.

• Like 1

I must admit my nimbyism would probably kick in if they ever did it near me. The old not in my yard mentality. It would be a hoot to see the reactions of the home county lot if it was being done there.

A bit before my time but people use to campaign against castle cement existing, initially on emissions (which consistently passed whatever criteria they needed to) then on the basis it was an eyesore and property prices would go down.

Ultimately it's an industrial plant providing a much-needed commercial product and still one which is a big employer in the town and house prices stayed very strong competitively to rest of East Lancs. I loved the irony that the main campaigner against castle cement and its emissions and health implications was apparently a 30 a day smoker.

We can't expect any political help here in the Fylde as we voted in a Tory MP and he's to busy smoking illegal immigrants cOck while high on drugs.

No idea why that would be but it's great news if you are looking to buy.

No idea why that would be but it's great news if you are looking to buy.

Depends if you want to sit in your house and have explosions nearby. The test site was near my friends house in Ballam and he said it felt like a car had crashed into his house.

But yes it's certainly brought down house prices for buyers who will take the gamble on damage to their property and possible contamination of their land.

I'll accept fracking the moment the first site is operational in Kent or Sussex, not just the "desolate" north (as per Lord Howell -chief lobbyist and Osbornes father in law - describes us).

For my money there has been no movement whatsoever on answering the question of groundwater pollution.

• Like 1

Well done to LCC for putting the concerns of local people and the environment first.

NYCC are a disgrace for putting allowing potash mining to go ahead - particularly in a national park. I hope the objectors take it to a judicial review.

Anyone who seeks to make money out of the despolation of an area of an outstanding natural beauty should hang their heads in shame.

So take away the National park bit which you inserted as an aside and what is your main objection to potash mining?

btw isn't there talk that they will build an underground rail link from the mine to Teeside in order to not spoil the local area? Even latter day luddites like yourself will have to accept that as proof of good intent surely?

Edited by thenodrog

Gordon, if you read the reports (and do some research for once) there is no clear demand for the sort of volumes of potash that this mine will produce. There is also a global oversupply of potash at present. The technology they are proposing to use to extract it is unproven too.

Sirius now have raise the billions in funding to build a 37km long by 6m wide tunnel under the North York Moors national park bigger then the Channel Tunnel - and create a market for a product which is currently barely in use - and get and retain 86% share of world sales of this wonder chemical - and maybe it'll break even , eventually.

Place your bets on this thing never seeing the light of day or maybe started and then the project being found to be unfeasible unless further planning restrictions are lifted.

Meanwhile, a precious national park is opened up to industry - and all in the name of "growth" that may or may not be achieveable.

Thankfully, the Campaign for National Parks pressure group said it could launch a legal appeal. “This is such an important test case of the protection for National Parks in national planning policy,” it said.
Edited by jim mk2

Gordon, if you read the reports (and do some research for once) there is no clear demand for the sort of volumes of potash that this mine will produce. There is also a global oversupply of potash at present. The technology they are proposing to use to extract it is unproven too.

Sirius now have raise the billions in funding to build a 37km long by 6m wide tunnel under the North York Moors national park bigger then the Channel Tunnel - and create a market for a product which is currently barely in use - and get and retain 86% share of world sales of this wonder chemical - and maybe it'll break even , eventually.

Place your bets on this thing never seeing the light of day or maybe started and then the project being found to be unfeasible unless further planning restrictions are lifted.

Sorry just edited my previous post before I read your response.

So if it goes ahead your opening sentence must be balderdash and if it doesn't go ahead then the figures are correct and the money men whom you detest will have become an unlikely ally and done your dirty work for you Jim.

Edited by thenodrog