BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Strange that Gav hasn't posted in this thread recently! ^_^Him and countless others were told and better told to no avail

The reason I'm not bothering is because I'm not willing to enter into an Allardyce debate, pointless exercise.

What I or anyone else thought of him was irrelevant, we influenced nothing, so you or anyone else who 'Told and better told' (what exactly?) me was simply wasting oxygen, I didn't sack him, I didn't stab him in the back and I didn't bring **** into the club either.

Having read through some of the thread from back then I was pretty balanced as always :tu:

Funny to see GAV struggling to hide his delight.

Thats called balance Jim.

I was happy he'd been sacked, but I couldn't understand why, nobody could.

Edited by GAV

Ha! You can't pick cherry-pick, you have to take the inevitable relegation that was coming when he left us for Newcastle as well!

This has become almost fact now.

We ended up 11 points clear of relegation the season before.

He left in 2004 after 4 games, the last being a home draw against Manchester United.

The problem was that people then still expected us to be challenging for Europe every season.

We were probably too adventurous for our own good under Souness which cost us in a lot of games but the myth that we were doomed when he eventually went is bunkum.

Edited by Hasta

Ha! You can't pick cherry-pick, you have to take the inevitable relegation that was coming when he left us for Newcastle as well!

Absolutely.Mainly good but certainly mixed.A bit of a paradox....

Kick-ass, promotion, Worthington Cup....then fall outs and physical fights with players. Did he break his hand or was it a foot after an incident with one of his own players? Yorke, I think?

The Rovers fans away at Newcastle were chanting something like "See what Souness left behind!" We were definitely going down, if he hadn't left.

I will always remain grateful to him for his achievements, though

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

This has become almost fact now.

We ended up 11 points clear of relegation the season before.

He left in 2004 after 4 games, the last being a home draw against Manchester United.

The problem was that people then still expected us to be challenging for Europe every season.

We were probably too adventurous for our own good under Souness which cost us in a lot of games but the myth that we were doomed when he eventually went is bunkum.

Souness had completely lost the plot by the time he left us, the place was starting to resemble a retirement rest home and I think it's highly likely he'd have relegated us had he stayed any longer. I'm sure I commented on here that we started one game with 5 left backs on the pitch.

In answer to Abbey's question Souness or Allardyce you'd maybe take the Souness of the first two or three seasons with us (even though he needed the Trust to bail us out by buying Andy Cole)and undoubtedly Allardyce thereafter as he's a lot more consistent and far less erratic.

It was all over for Souey when he started playing Dominic bloody Matteo on the left wing.

I'm sure I commented on here that we started one game with 5 left backs on the pitch

Remember it well. It was the new "Question Mark" formation.

Unfortunately I too believe he had lost the plot by that time, but my word, we had some goods days and a hell of a team with him stearing it in the right direction for a while.

Amongst many highlights 4-0 away at Spurs will live long in the memory.

• Like 7

Unfortunately I too believe he had lost the plot by that time, but my word, we had some goods days and a hell of a team with him stearing it in the right direction for a while.

I was there bob, gave them a right good hiding. Spurs fans lobbing their STs on the pitch (last game of the season, go figure!), 'wot a lowd a rabbish!'

Duff's final game. :(

They still haven't recovered from Cardiff

:lol:

• Like 1

• Backroom

And Gresko in CM, wasn't it?

We seemed to play everybody everywhere in Souey's final few games.

Personally I'm glad Souey left before he relegated us and/or resigned. We ended up getting a decent amount of compo for him and managed to upgrade with our next appointment. Meanwhile Souness left with the majority of his legacy in tact.

• Like 1

He may not have been a great tactician, or the easiest guy to get along with but boy could he spot and attract a player.

Friedel

Berg

Hughes

Steven Reid

David Thompson

Matty Jansen (well turned him from a dribbler into a centre forward)

Lucas Neill

Tugay

Berkovic

Andy Cole

Dwight Yorke

On that basis, I'd say he can be forgiven for the following :)

Gresko

Grabbi

Baggio

Diawara

Keller

Pelzer

Ferguson

Andresen

Enckelman

Bothroyd

Amoruso?

I'm waiting for some work :)

With the exception of Ferguson and Grabbi, most of those flops were cheap, low-risk signings.

On that basis, I'd say he can be forgiven for the following :)

Gresko

Grabbi

Baggio

Diawara

Keller

Pelzer

Ferguson

Andresen

Enckelman

Bothroyd

Amoruso?

I'm waiting for some work :)

Can't include Enckleman. He's the only Rovers player to appear in an FA Cup final for 55 years😀

They still haven't recovered from Cardiff

:lol:

They were so bitter about that result. They didn't think we could win that game. If Pedersen could head straight Chelsea would be the same. We've been lucky to see such quality at the Rovers. Newer fans can only dream of such times.

• Like 3