BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

So we have to be in the bottom 3 AND adrift?

It's like trying to move your house once the cliff erosion has bitten the first brick.

Gary Rowett is doing pretty fine considering he admitted he can't even compete with embargoed clubs on wages, ergo he is shopping in an even muddier puddle than us.

Bowyer is 1 or 2 players down on the team that finished 7th, has added a plethora of players he wanted, still maintains they are triffic, yet has managed them into 22nd place. There are no excuses.

The manager says the quality is there!!!

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 2

Why should I panic and change my beliefs in the first week or so of September? I remember some wanting Gordon Lee out during his first few months in charge and the same with Kendall when we were floundering near the bottom of the Third. If we are in the bottom three by the end of October/early November and becoming adrift then is the time I would look to assess things but even then, you have to look at who is available, who might improve it and who would want to work under the restrictions of the embargo and, of course, who is going to be in charge of such a process. Personally, I believe that this is very much a mid-table Championship squad that, with a following wind might just mount a challenge for sixth but equally could easily be dragged into a relegation battle. The embargo means you are restricted to signing players that other teams don't want and there is clearly a reason why they don't want them. Clearly the results at the moment are not good enough and they need to improve over the next few weeks or a change is inevitable.

When the players and manager came out at Craven Cottage yesterday the fans were singing "Gary Bowyer's Blue & White Army", it then became "Bowyer, Bowyer sort it out," and when he did in the second half the fans applauded manager and players as they left the pitch - fickle doesn't come close to describing it.

I'd replace the manager now if at all possible, even though I know full well it won't make the slightest bit of difference, but the rest of your post is absolutely spot on.

The side is probably mid table with Rhodes involved, without him we're mid/bottom and thats because of the owners getting rid of everyone that knows anything about football and replacing them with cheap, poor replacements, same on the playing side.

This cycle will sadly continue until they leave the club.

• Like 1

Parson, I admire your steadfastness in the face of coming disaster, but cannot share it.

There is NO reason for optimism at all re Bowyer. He has done nothing to convince me he can improve. On the contrary, he seems to have learned nothing. In particular, we are not set up to be difficult to beat. We go behind in almost every game and then try to chase the game-----and fail.

• Like 4

The one and only thing he still does appear to have is the players themselves. They bust a gut right to the end in games although usually start like a training session. The heads didn't go down yesterday but pretty soon they probably will and then there's no going back. His tactics have to take a large share of the blame imo.

Edited by tomphil

So we have to be in the bottom 3 AND adrift?

It's like trying to move your house once the cliff erosion has bitten the first brick.

Gary Rowett is doing pretty fine considering he admitted he can't even compete with embargoed clubs on wages, ergo he is shopping in an even muddier puddle than us.

Bowyer is 1 or 2 players down on the team that finished 7th, has added a plethora of players he wanted, still maintains they are triffic, yet has managed them into 22nd place. There are no excuses.

The manager says the quality is there!!!

of course its there, but he fails to mention that he is as the manager is not quality

• Backroom

The one and only thing he still does appear to have is the players themselves. They bust a gut right to the end in games although usually start like a training session. The heads didn't go down yesterday but pretty soon they probably will and then there's no going back. His tactics have to take a large share of the blame imo.

This is probably the easiest a lot of the players have ever had it, so yeah, I imagine Bowyer does still have them.

But that's suggestive of a squad with no ambition. The ones with ambition - Gestede, King, Rhodes, Marshall, to name a few - have either left or suggested they want to move on. The rest know this is as good/easy as it's going to get for them.

• Like 1

This is probably the easiest a lot of the players have ever had it, so yeah, I imagine Bowyer does still have them.

But that's suggestive of a squad with no ambition. The ones with ambition - Gestede, King, Rhodes, Marshall, to name a few - have either left or suggested they want to move on. The rest know this is as good/easy as it's going to get for them.

did Sparky not once fine players for poor performances? or am i dreaming that, as im sure one manager fined the players a percentage. These players are basically stealing a living here, and as harsh as that sounds, some of them shouldnt actually be footballers.

Why should I panic and change my beliefs in the first week or so of September? I remember some wanting Gordon Lee out during his first few months in charge and the same with Kendall when we were floundering near the bottom of the Third.

Naughty sleight of hand there Parson. Tut,tut!

Bowyer is NOT in his first few months as Rovers manager is he? So how is that comparison relevant?

• Like 5

Naughty sleight of hand there Parson. Tut,tut!

Bowyer is NOT in his first few months as Rovers manager is he? So how is that comparison relevant?

Can we not factor in the loss of Cairney and Gestede, 2 players that would walk into most sides in this division?

How many sides with no money could hope to improve on last season having lost 2 of the best players in the division?

*****Disclaimer - before the people that only read one page of the site ask, yes I'd sack Bowyer now if I had the power*****

Can we not factor in the loss of Cairney and Gestede, 2 players that would walk into most sides in this division?

How many sides with no money could hope to improve on last season having lost 2 of the best players in the division?

*****Disclaimer - before the people that only read one page of the site ask, yes I'd sack Bowyer now if I had the power***

They knew it was coming, they knew it would hit when it did and yet they devised a plan for promotion based over a period in excess of the impending embargo deadline.

Confused in Pune indeed.

*****Disclaimer - before the people that only read one page of the site ask, yes I'd sack Bowyer now if I had the power*****

You'd better ask Bowyer that one Gav, he was the one who said we'd be top 6 this season.

You'd better ask Bowyer that one Gav, he was the one who said we'd be top 6 this season.

Did he say that LD?

I'm sure he said it at the start of last season, but i never found the quote, didn't hear him say it this?

From the old locked topic. Abbey brought it to everyones attention at the time

https://audioboom.com/boos/3143562-audio-blackburn-onerovers-3-ipswich-2-gary-bowyer

At 4mins 30 talking after the Ipswich game about next season

"We've just said there, erm, it really has to be us that are in the dressing room celebrating getting through to the playoffs, if not better"

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 2

I am sure I have read several ITK's state that he presented a several year plan, last season was meant to be play-offs and this season promotion.

Shaw and Gaz both getting a lot of mileage out of us being in an embargo to cover up their flaws.

• Like 2

We seriously need to get a result against the odds - and against the form book - if we are going to recover the situation.

It's all well and good saying "ah well, it was such and such, no disgrace" but we are playing catch up. Time and again struggling teams who have anything about them will get a result as the underdog. You just don't see Bowyer's Rovers doing that.

At what point along the relegation battle do we say it's time for change? How many points adrift of safety? How many games to go?

• Like 2

Shaw and Gaz both getting a lot of mileage out of us being in an embargo to cover up their flaws.

FFP, the transfer window running into the season causing disruption, the lack of Hawkeye (or whatever it's called), bad referees and assistants, general bad luck and probably now just waiting for the bad weather to kick in. If there isn't an excuse he will just make one up.

I said a week or so ago somewhere on the MB that with the fixtures we have we could be relegated in all but fact come the end of October with Bowyer in charge - and it's getting worse by the match. We need a major turn around in getting very good results starting tomorrow v QPR. I doubt it I'm sorry to say.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Pre season I thought we would be bottom six with real uncertainty until the last few games. Six games in and I really feel we will be relegated with this happening well before the end of the season. Quite simply for me Bowyer has to be relieved of his duties to give us any chance.

• Like 3

Pre season I thought we would be bottom six with real uncertainty until the last few games. Six games in and I really feel we will be relegated with this happening well before the end of the season. Quite simply for me Bowyer has to be relieved of his duties to give us any chance.

It' hard to disagree after the start we've made, but I still don't think we will go down. Some very poor teams in this division and it's a long old slog.

I wondered pre-season how squad morale would be affected by the negative atmosphere ceeated by prominent players wishing to leave, or being sold. The lack of belief, structure and leadership, coupled with an embargo. It's ok earning a fortune but people live to their means and there still has to be a reason for what your doing. We've all had jobs we disliked and had zero passion or interest in. Anything less than 100% effort in pro-sport and your goosed.

I thought bad results may be the catalyst for change, but presumed the local derbies to be key in that respect. It's all happening a tad quicker than we expected.

Bowyer needs to go as he cannot organise us defensively. Nothing has changed since day one.

I never understood and still don't. I would have started with a keeper and gone from there. Impossible to plan effectively or be overly confident when you know your likely to conceed against all you play. He should have made us uncompromising and hard to beat and focused on the defence, especially knowing a predator like Rhodes could always nick a goal to win. You can't conceed 60 plus a season and expect any success. I don't mind low scoring games as it's what I expect from two organised professional football clubs with very fine margins between them. The stupidity of our strategy pisses me off.

• Like 4

I thought bad results may be the catalyst for change, but presumed the local derbies to be key in that respect. It's all happening a tad quicker than we expected.

I am genuinely DREADING playing Bumley this season - and very concerned about the nobbers.

I am genuinely DREADING playing Bumley this season - and very concerned about the nobbers.

Odd games here and there shouldn't matter. I'm more depressed our entire season is over before it even began. Hence being so irritated to be dumped out of the Cup as well. They've no right to take the heart and soul out of the club. Most clubs in this division can at least dream of hitting the play offs or a cup run with good luck and a following wind.

And now all the talk is of relegation. If Bowyer keeps us up it be lauded as a success. And then we'll find out we lost another 20 million doing it. We can't even think of automatic promotion and now the play offs are also a pipe dream. Gav's right, sitting here watching this all unfold is excruciating.

Perfect preperation prevents @#/? poor performance.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker
  • Like 1