BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

People would have said the same about Mark Atkins, and possibly Jason Wilcox too.

Noooooo! Can't agree here. Loved both of them and was angry when Atklins got sold. Never looked "fashionable" did Atkins.

Simpson was a total liability and judging by that woeful back-pass towrds the end of the City game he still is!

• Like 1

Noooooo! Can't agree here. Loved both of them and was angry when Atklins got sold. Never looked "fashionable" did Atkins.

With you on that but my point was, there were plenty who didn't rate that pair when they first played for us and would have scoffed at the time if you'd predicted they would both win league championship medals, (whether at Rovers or not)

With you on that but my point was, there were plenty who didn't rate that pair when they first played for us and would have scoffed at the time if you'd predicted they would both win league championship medals, (whether at Rovers or not)

Don't think some people rated Jason afterwards :rolleyes: To his immense credit he didn't react to the abuse for several seasons.

Its telling of course that he was the last of the 94-95 squad to leave. With the exception of Jeff Kenna who joined Rovers very late that season. Scored a very crucial goal too though rather oddly took some penalties in 98/99. Didn't help dropping points like Kenna's missed penalty against Newcastle in the league (and actually missed one against the same club in the League Cup)

Parkes knew when Wilcox left that Duff was a better player. I could see he was going to be a top player during 1999-2000. He was player of the year that season and certainly stood out. There was probably interest in him even then from Premier League clubs. When Chelsea made the huge bid in 2003 it was probably just the right time. He probably wasn't quite ready before 2002 for a title challenge or champions league club. Unless you count some appearances in 97-98 when Rovers were still top 3 in February.

Despite all the problems that season (player morale, managers, etc) still think Rovers wouldn't have been relegated if there hadn't been a crippling injury list. Wasted money on Davies/Dailly of course but some of the money wasted had to cover a massive injury list. Jack wasn't short on financial backing that season but I don't think he intended to spend such colossal figures. Had to cover all the injuries Wilcox even had to play upfront on his own away to Lyon.

Edited by VinjayV4

I have three points totals in mind from the remaining 18 games this season:

22 will take us to 53 and more points than any club has been relegated from this division with.

32 will take us to 63 points but more importantly will be a points per game run good enough to get us into the play offs if extended throughout next season

36 will take us to 67 points but more importantly will be a points per game run good enough to get us automatic promotion if extended throughout next season

Whatever we do, we need to start winning games. 6 wins from 28 so far this season is pathetic.

• Like 4

22 will take us to 53 and more points than any club has been relegated from this division with.

32 will take us to 63 points but more importantly will be a points per game run good enough to get us into the play offs if extended throughout next season

36 will take us to 67 points but more importantly will be a points per game run good enough to get us automatic promotion if extended throughout next season

Whatever we do, we need to start winning games. 6 wins from 28 so far this season is pathetic.

6 wins from 28 is simply unacceptable whatever the circumstances.

Looking at our stats there are reasons to be positive going forward. Particularly from a defensive point of view we've been fairly resolute all season long. The games we have lost have been by narrow margins and usually 1-0s. We've not been hammered all season.

The other point is that whilst we've only won 6 we've also only lost 9. 9 defeats by February usually should point towards a top half position. We've lost 10 games less than Rotherham who occupy 3rd bottom.

Its very clear where our problem lies and this has been the problem now for 3 years. We draw too many and don't turn draws into wins often enough and that is harming our progression. Generally speaking we're continuing to perform in terms of limiting defeats and not giving much away defensively.

• Like 1

Well that's true but then I never expected to see Rovers win the Championship at anytime in my life apart from 1963-4 and then only till Christmas!

I suppose my point is that those two were different class to Simpson who was bloody awful!

Your grammar in that 2nd sentence is excruciating Philip! Can do better!

6 wins from 28 is simply unacceptable whatever the circumstances.

Looking at our stats there are reasons to be positive going forward. Particularly from a defensive point of view we've been fairly resolute all season long. The games we have lost have been by narrow margins and usually 1-0s. We've not been hammered all season.

The other point is that whilst we've only won 6 we've also only lost 9. 9 defeats by February usually should point towards a top half position. We've lost 10 games less than Rotherham who occupy 3rd bottom.

Its very clear where our problem lies and this has been the problem now for 3 years. We draw too many and don't turn draws into wins often enough and that is harming our progression. Generally speaking we're continuing to perform in terms of limiting defeats and not giving much away defensively.

Lambert summed it up when he said mediocrity had been accepted for far too long at the club. Although results have been largely unimpressive since he joined it's refreshing to hear a manager be unhappy with draws.

Adding to that point, we've only lost 9 league games this season yet sit among teams who have lost double that or more.

Those games were at home against Wolves (2-1), Burnley (1-0) and Brighton (1-0), and away at Brighton (1-0), Reading (1-0), Cardiff (1-0), Bolton (1-0), Fulham (2-1) and MK Dons (3-0). The only game we have been comprehensively beaten has been MK Dons when we played for 80 odd minutes with 10 men and gave them a penalty.

There have been some poor performances in there, namely the three away games at Bolton, Reading and Cardiff where we were very disappointing, yet I wouldn't say we were outclassed or particularly outplayed. The opposition didn't have many chances that they missed, they each had one good chance they took and we couldn't recover from that.

There have also been good performances in there. I maintain to this day that we shouldn't have lost to Wolves, Burnley, Brighton away or Fulham as we were decent on those occasions for large spells and worthy of at least a point from them all.

I know it's irrelevant but I think it goes to show that whilst we are short on attacking ability, scoring goals and putting teams to the sword, the flip side is that Lambert has inherited and continued with a fairly resolute side that with some good attacking additions could very quickly be turned around into a very good side in this league, where defensive consistency and keeping it tight at the back is the first priority.

I think the main test for the rest of the season is can we score goals without Rhodes? If we improve on what we have done so far we'll win more games than before as we have been decent at the back all season. If we don't improve we'll probably go down or just about go down. As long as we don't go down it's irrelevant really where we finish.

• Backroom

Anything less than wins from our next two home games at the very least is unacceptable at this point. We need to try and limp on to the end of this pathetic season and rebuild in the summer, though Lambert's first few months in the job have dampened my expectations somewhat.

Anything less than wins from our next two home games at the very least is unacceptable at this point. We need to try and limp on to the end of this pathetic season and rebuild in the summer, though Lambert's first few months in the job have dampened my expectations somewhat.

League games you mean?

Edited by VinjayV4

I completely agree that we must win on Tuesday but after watching Fulham today I can see it being a tall order. Dembele and McCormack will be licking their lips at the prospect of coming up against our powder puff pansies. Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!