BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

When you are on a wretched run like Birmingham, the last 3 pressured games of the season (one of them away at your arch rivals) is a tough ask for any new manager, so who knows there may not be the fabled 'bounce'.

Saying that though they only need one win and we won't be catching them.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

If I did that, Wolves would beat us by one knackering up both us and the bet. I'll steer well clear of that one!

Sorry I got my plusses and minuses mixed up. I meant Wolves plus one.

Good move by Brum. "Arry" Houdini famously engineered an amazing escape for Pompey in 2006 and I expect him to get them safe again. Birmingham's players obviously didn't take to Zola - the mere fact he's gone will give them a lift. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they beat Villa. Whatever happens, we're down. 

I don't understand why people presume we are gone, we have 3 games left n just a point off 4th bottom. looking at the forest and brums remaining fixtures they could win lose or draw any of them. I think it's impossible to call. I believe the Bristol game was the hardest of the last 5 fixtures as they were on a bit of form and they knew that if they went and got a win against us they would definitely be safe so they had as much to play for as we did. Forest lost to us at home and then away to Cardiff who have absolutely nothing to play for and Birmingham are in complete free fall and Harry isn't garenteed anything. 

I know we didn't play well but we got a result, we are still in the mix n have a chance if we can grind out a few more results. It's going right down to the wire and I don't think you can call it until the nail is actually in the coffin. In the space of 1min we got a goal and forest conceded throwing the whole thing up in the air again. For a team that didn't turn up for 70 mins we ended up nearly pinching the game.

All 3 teams are so inconsistent and poor that anything could happen and I'm not prepared to write us off yet.

Edited by JonnyP
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

When you are on a wretched run like Birmingham, the last 3 pressured games of the season (one of them away at your arch rivals) is a tough ask for any new manager, so who knows there may not be the fabled 'bounce'.

Saying that though they only need one win and we won't be catching them.

Harry might go  in and basically say " look lads 2 wins in 20+ games, past is past just go out and express your selfs. Enjoy the last 3 games and then the summer hols.

I would.

Id wipe the slate clean regardless of their record take the pressure off.

Anything they get would be a bonus, he must see they have the quality ( 7th when Rowlett got sacked?) so no pressure.....

• Backroom

However much we play with all the possibilities we are the favourites to go down.

In a typically fence sitting move I think we are down BUT I think if we beat Wolves we will survive.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Redknapp is doing the Birmingham job for free until end of the season

Harry Redknapp is nowhere near that sound! I bet he gets a fat bonus if they survive! 

• Like 2

Possible two or three players coming back from injury is good but TM has to be sure they are match fit and not risk non performance, Unlike first half against Bristol we need player hungrys for the ball. As someone said behind me on Saturday, all we ask for is 100%. 

Edited by Cherry Blue

I just did the math n before TM took over we average 0.9 points per game and since he's taken over we are averaging 1.2 points per game which isn't a huge difference but would have been easily enough to keep us up if it was sustained for the entire season. A lot recently questioning TM and whether he's any good and some of his selections have been questionable. However I really like him, he cuts out the BS he gives a straight answer and shows passion and drive which has been missing for a long time at the club.

I feel a little sorry for him that he came in after the winter window where he could have maybe tried bring in a few that would have had a bit more character that could have helped get us out of this predicament. So he's basically had to work with what he's got which is really limited. I genuinely believe that if we can stay up we will have a better season next year. Nothing amazing but I reckon mid table could be in sights.

but it all comes down to whether this set of players have enough in them to keep us up and if they can pull it together for 3 final games.

Edited by JonnyP
  • Like 1

I agree with all of that johnnyp until you started mentioning the dizzy heights of mid table. I'm afraid if by some miracle we do stay up then when the whistle goes at Brentford it's still cut your cloth then the whistle goes in August and it's as you  where I'm afraid

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

I just did the math n before TM took over we average 0.9 points per game and since he's taken over we are averaging 1.2 points per game which isn't a huge difference but would have been easily enough to keep us up if it was sustained for the entire season. A lot recently questioning TM and whether he's any good and some of his selections have been questionable. However I really like him, he cuts out the BS he gives a straight answer and shows passion and drive which has been missing for a long time at the club.

I feel a little sorry for him that he came in after the winter window where he could have maybe tried bring in a few that would have had a bit more character that could have helped get us out of this predicament. So he's basically had to work with what he's got which is really limited. I genuinely believe that if we can stay up we will have a better season next year. Nothing amazing but I reckon mid table could be in sights.

but it all comes down to whether this set of players have enough in them to keep us up and if they can pull it together for 3 final games.

I agree that it is a shame that Mowbray wasn't in place in December so that he could use the January window to his advantage to give us a better chance of survival.

I suspect the whole reason that the managerial change was left so late was to ensure that the new man wouldn't have the opportunity to request cash for transfers. Conveniently with Mowbray arriving in February he couldn't demand support/funds and has just had to work with what was already here. Also the refusal to spend in January was dressed up by some as a way of Senior pushing Coyle out the door and vetoing his transfers.

I suspect these people aren't as daft as some think they are. They usually find a way to get through transfer windows without spending anything. Managing their coaching changes to avoid having to back the new man with cash is the oldest trick in the book. If Mowbray does keep us up expect a summer of inertia with him walking away in disgust after months of trying to get backing and someone else given the job with no time to make signings.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm looking forward to having a break from football this summer. It's been nothing but relentless pain and heartache for 7 seasons now and it's taken its toll on me. We all know that unless they bugger off then it's going to get worse come August, whatever division we're in.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I don't know about everyone else but I'm looking forward to having a break from football this summer. It's been nothing but relentless pain and heartache for 7 seasons now and it's taken its toll on me. We all know that unless they bugger off then it's going to get worse come August, whatever division we're in.

Yep i'm the same. Just about enough left to get through these next 3 games and then hopefully the break will do me some good.

Although, even though I've accepted relegation its going to be painful when it happens, that will last a while. Then, i'll end up getting drawn in on the summer business and seeing what total dross we bring in and which dross leaves.

Then the league one season will be upon is no time, where all expectations of coming straight back up will be blown away when we get stuffed 0-3 away at Oxford on the opening day.

And the cycle of nightmares continues.  

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read an interesting  stat there. We haven't opened the scoring at Ewood since October. What the hell is going on there? 

Read that too; beyond pitiful. Also said we haven't been in the lead at HT at Ewood since the Brentford match in November. Statistics which illustrate precisely why we've been planted in the bottom 3 for so long.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!