BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Here we go - haters.

Andy Cole was ten times the player Rhodes is. The fact that you compare the two tells me a lot Stuart.

What does it tell you, den? Try to answer without being bitter or personal.

Cole had the similar accusations as Rhodes (albeit in different divisions) and he had far, far superior players around him. He did well at a lower level and then was picked up by the most attack-minded manager ever and became a success. However, he was infamously described as being extremely profligate in front of goal and needing a dozen chances per goal despite his record.

Funny though, some folk. Much better to champion failures like Bowyer and Lowe than successes such as Rhodes. I can only assume that it is jealousy.

Stuart---you still going on about him? What's the point? We know you think we should have kept him but it won't change.

I don't mind if it all goes wrong and you can say " I told you so" but why not leave it for a month or two?

Look around at the posts saying how much better we are without him. Am I not allowed to take a view on that, on a messageboard? I'm very happy to just talk about moving forward without 'him' and leave it to others to let the subject drop as well.

For the record, I really don't want to be saying "I told anyone so". I'd much rather look forward to being "painted into a corner" and "eating my words".

• Like 1

Cole had the similar accusations as Rhodes (albeit in different divisions) and he had far, far superior players around him. He did well at a lower level and then was picked up by the most attack-minded manager ever and became a success. However, he was infamously described as being extremely profligate in front of goal and needing a dozen chances per goal despite his record.

Funny though, some folk. Much better to champion failures like Bowyer and Lowe than successes such as Rhodes. I can only assume that it is jealousy.

Primarily Cole was quick and could be used as an outlet when under pressure. Once on the ball he could beat a man or hold it up and bring players into play.

Not knocking Rhodes as he is probably the better finisher but Cole was far more of an all round player. I was surprised how good he was when he joined to be honest.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Primarily Cole was quick and could be used as an outlet when under pressure. Once on the ball he could beat a man or hold it up and bring players into play.

Not knocking Rhodes as he is probably the better finisher but Cole was far more of an all round player. I was surprised how good he was when he joined to be honest.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/2231643/cole-enjoys-hoddle-revenge

Now, Hoddle: is his opinion of a player more or less credible (relatively speaking) than Strachan?

• Backroom

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/2231643/cole-enjoys-hoddle-revenge

Now, Hoddle: is his opinion of a player more or less credible (relatively speaking) than Strachan?

Manager from years ago vs current international manager? No contest!

That'd be hypocritical of me though, as I'd take Souness' opinion over Strachan.

Manager from years ago vs current international manager? No contest!

That'd be hypocritical of me though, as I'd take Souness' opinion over Strachan.

And obtuse. The manager in the example was a current international manager at the time he made the comments!

Well I wouldn't say there's any certainty of suddenly going goal crazy. The defensive foundation seems solid enough that we could see a few tight 1-0 wins here and there.

Certainly think that ALMOST applied today after restricting Middlesbrough so much. The problem is we can see why Rovers aren't likely to go goal crazy but defensive foundations ARE there.

• Backroom

Certainly think that ALMOST applied today after restricting Middlesbrough so much. The problem is we can see why Rovers aren't likely to go goal crazy but defensive foundations ARE there.

Yet we always manage to concede, which is a problem. 7 league games without a clean sheet now.

• Backroom

And obtuse. The manager in the example was a current international manager at the time he made the comments!

He was also a man who couldn't get the best out of Alan Shearer and didn't rate LeTiss on the left.

I like Rhodes, he was good at this level - but Andy Cole was one of the most under - appreciated strikers this club has had. He was class, a nuisance, busy and linked up with a strike partner and dragged defences around. Every attribute Rhodes doesn't have, Cole did.

• Like 1

6 points clear with 2 games in hand.

I remember when we were x points away from the play-offs. Despite that number getting bigger and bigger ever few months, everything was always fine.

Now we are a massive 6 points clear of relegation.

Rovers fans' ability to adapt, and remain cheerful, is incredible.

I like Rhodes, he was good at this level - but Andy Cole was one of the most under - appreciated strikers this club has had. He was class, a nuisance, busy and linked up with a strike partner and dragged defences around. Every attribute Rhodes doesn't have, Cole did.

I'm not directly comparing their attributes. I'm comparing their relative under-appreciation and criticism for weaknesses despite obvious strengths. Something you've illustrated in your reply very well.

Andy Cole. Brilliant with Jansen, seemed to go off the boil with Yorke in the side.

• Like 2

I remember when we were x points away from the play-offs. Despite that number getting bigger and bigger ever few months, everything was always fine.

I'm not directly comparing their attributes. I'm comparing their relative under-appreciation and criticism for weaknesses despite obvious strengths. Something you've illustrated in your reply very well.

I think it was a fairer comparison than you received credit for (in terms of what they were criticised for, which was I think your point, and a fair one).

Nonetheless Andy Cole played at the very top level for many years, scoring plenty and contributing in other ways, neither of which Rhodes has done yet, which is why a couple of folk unfairly jumped on you for making a comparison of them Stuart.

Sorry, not getting on your back. Just complimenting Cole - I rated him massively.

• Like 3

Sorry, not getting on your back. Just complimenting Cole - I rated him massively.

I did too, though I'll never forgive him for that early miss in the Ewood game against Celtic, which would have been a tie-changer. I married into a Celtic family and that defeat hurt more than a Dingle one!

I bet if you ask any Man Utd fan about Cole they will have nothing but praise. Him / Yorke / Sheringham/Solskjaer were the deadliest group of strikers in Europe at that time. He was every bit a £7m player for us when he signed and twice the player Rhodes will ever be. Dont get me wrong, I loved Rhodes while he was here, he is a great Championship finisher, but he is no world beater. If he was 1, he wouldn't have been with us in the Championship and 2, he would've gone before now and for more than £9m, and not to another Championship team. Cole is the 3rd highest PL goal scorer of all time with over a hundred goals. To even mention Rhodes in the same sentence as Cole is ridiculous, baring in mind Rhodes has 0 appearances in the PL.

Cole was a top class striker, Rhodes is not. It's that simply. Rhodes can only finish and at times he wasn't even so good at that. Cole could run channels, link up player, had a determination and a desire. I was devastated when he went from Newcastle to the red scum. I'm really struggling with this debate. I can't see how anyone can compare Cole to Rhodes. It's like comparing Terry to Hanley.

• Like 2

Cole was a top class striker, Rhodes is not. It's that simply. Rhodes can only finish and at times he wasn't even so good at that. Cole could run channels, link up player, had a determination and a desire. I was devastated when he went from Newcastle to the red scum. I'm really struggling with this debate. I can't see how anyone can compare Cole to Rhodes. It's like comparing Terry to Hanley.

Apart from on May 14th lol. Speaking of mentioning Cole in a relegation thread shame he didn't fill in likes of Williams, etc on what he supposedly heard about Kean. Would have thought the news might have got through to Allardyce via Cole and his mate RFW.

Edited by VinjayV4