BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Is that article still around?

Cole had pace and strength to burn, another like Shearer who could do lots of things besides score goals. Jordan will have to improve a lot to be considered in that ilk. It's also important to mention Stuart wasn't specifically comparing, just saying that he got similar stick I think - I can't agree mind, I only remember one famous comment from the idiot Hoddle about him needing 5 chances to score one. Cole wasn't just a scorer, he created chances, pressed well and particularly showed experience in his time with us.

The point is rhodes doesn't get any real stick for that scoring 1 for 5 chances- just the glaring deficiencies in his all round game. I'd argue that JR is probably more predatory than many strikers we've seen in blue and white - if he had the pace of Bellamy or the power of Jason Roberts, he would be playing champions league football right now. I'd have to argue that Yakubu was more predatory though, I'm sure that statto's will disprove that!

Relegation would've been easier to dismiss with Rhodes AND the new players - but at least we've made progress despite my earlier reservations of the transfer business. I was critical prior to Gomez and Watt joining, and it looks as if Ward is a capture we've also benefitted from.

If Graham starts to score a few, I'd be very confident that we will be nearer the playoffs than the relegation battle come May. Glad he dropped Bennett yesterday, as he's done absolutely zip so far.

Edited by Jbizzle

Rhodes has been playing in a team which has never suited his style - certainly not since CKR was here - and that has got worse each season. Yet he continued to score goals. Even this season - his worst since he arrived he has scored half of the team's goals.

We finally have the kinds of players who could help him - certainly with Gomez in midfield - and we go and flog him (without even using the money to bring in permanent reinforcements - a left back and a midfield general, STILL). It's not just a case of replacing Rhodes' goals, we now have to get more points as a team without him than we did with him.

And Jim, oh Jim, the guy who wants to march on the pitch but makes every excuse possible not go first; the guy who questions the supporter credentials of anyone else who won't; the guy who gleefully, in his own sardonic way, creates a relegation thread earlier and earlier every season; the guy who spits personal comments at people like a bitter old man when he doesn't have anything useful to say. Yes, your opinion of my support really means a lot to me. :rolleyes:

You still haven't answered the question and your lack of reply suggests you must be disappointed your poster boy didn't score against the club you are supposed to support.

We were there in the 1960s and 70s doing what we had to do to when the club was being badly run. We're old now. What are you doing now except criticising others from the safety of a keyboard?

The relegation thread has been a big success - every year I created it we managed to avoid going down. As it happens I didn't create the thread this year, so let's hope it doesn't end with us going down.

Cole was a top class striker, Rhodes is not. It's that simply. Rhodes can only finish and at times he wasn't even so good at that. Cole could run channels, link up player, had a determination and a desire. I was devastated when he went from Newcastle to the red scum. I'm really struggling with this debate. I can't see how anyone can compare Cole to Rhodes. It's like comparing Terry to Hanley.

Anyone who classes Rhodes in the same bracket as Andy Cole doesn't know anything about football. Sure, they both scored goals (although one has never played at the top level), but the similarity ends there.

• Like 2

• Backroom

If people continue to flame Stuart about fandom of Rovers, just because he values Rhodes a bit more highly than you, then I'll be handing out some bans. Stop it.

It's not a question that needs answering by a man who's been on here nearly 8 years.

• Like 1

If people continue to flame Stuart about fandom of Rovers, just because he values Rhodes a bit more highly than you, then I'll be handing out some bans. Stop it.

It's not a question that needs answering by a man who's been on here nearly 8 years.

Would those bans include one for Stuart for insulting other members ?

Go back and check my posts Jimbo. I don't go first but it seems as though you are enjoying trying to wind me up. I have no need to justify myself to you so I won't be doing.

If it was about insulting members you would be permanently banned such is the very personal nature of your barbs - and not just to me.

Stick to the football. I would have preferred Rhodes to be wearing blue and white yesterday - alongside the players Lambert brought in - and that would have been a very decent squad, full backs permitting. If we sold Rhodes to fund 4 or 5 upgrades in the rest of the squad then so be it but right now we haven't, and we have to hope that we can pick up the wins to stay in the division.

Cole was a top class striker, Rhodes is not. It's that simply. Rhodes can only finish and at times he wasn't even so good at that. Cole could run channels, link up player, had a determination and a desire. I was devastated when he went from Newcastle to the red scum. I'm really struggling with this debate. I can't see how anyone can compare Cole to Rhodes. It's like comparing Terry to Hanley.

Not sure why people are hung up about the perceived difference in ability between Rhodes and the likes of Cole anyway.

Rhodes cost 8m, Cole would cost 50, 60, or 70 m in today's market. It is and always has been a pointless and academic debate. He's not as good as a select handful who have worn the blue and white halves during the Premiership era, he's better than a good many of them over the years and his goalscoring record stands up for scrutiny against anyone.

Anyone looking beyond that is trying to find fault for the sake of it.

Go back and check my posts Jimbo. I don't go first but it seems as though you are enjoying trying to wind me up. I have no need to justify myself to you so I won't be doing.

If it was about insulting members you would be permanently banned such is the very personal nature of your barbs - and not just to me.

Stick to the football. I would have preferred Rhodes to be wearing blue and white yesterday - alongside the players Lambert brought in - and that would have been a very decent squad, full backs permitting. If we sold Rhodes to fund 4 or 5 upgrades in the rest of the squad then so be it but right now we haven't, and we have to hope that we can pick up the wins to stay in the division.

Out of interest, where do you think the money came from to sign six players?

Bear in mind that four of those came from the Premier League.

You could certainly point to Rhodes being a Championship version of Andy Cole in terms of stats etc. Both penalty box predators as well but that's about the lot and I don't think Stuart was drawing like for like comparisons anyway.

They did have another glaring thing in common though and that was too many people crying and picking fault over what they couldn't do rather than appreciating what they could. I'll include managers in that as well.

Well said Stuart. At least someone is maintaining a sense of perspective round here. Wouldn't we have been far better off simply swapping Lawrence for Watt and bringing in Gomez on loan?

Letting Rhodes go at this stage was a completely unnecessary gamble. If PL can carry it off all credit to him.

• Backroom

Possibly from another mod, but my perception is that Stuart has been goaded over the last few days so insults are bound to slip out. Better to ban those causing the issue than those responding to it.

Bear in mind I'm not exactly best mates with Stuart but we remain civil. Members goading others (especially those who post eloquently and with football in mind) is not on.

Edited by Mike Ellison

All I did was request an answer to a perfectly legitimate question (admittedly asked by another member) - which you've still refused to answer. You chose to respond with an insult. You've served your time for insulting members over the years.

You need to forget about Rhodes. He's gone.

Out of interest, where do you think the money came from to sign six players?

Bear in mind that four of those came from the Premier League.

Jackson, Watt and Graham are more or less straight replacements for Koita, Lawrence and Rhodes. On top of that Olsson was sold.

We really are screwed if Graham is intended as Rhodes' long term replacement.

Possibly from another mod, but my perception is that Stuart has been goaded over the last few days so insults are bound to slip out. Better to ban those causing the issue than those responding to it.

Bear in mind I'm not exactly best mates with Stuart but we remain civil. Members goading others (especially those who post eloquently and with football in mind) is not on.

There was no goading - merely a request for an answer to a legitimate question on Stuart's pet subject. He responded with an insult.

Not sure why people are hung up about the perceived difference in ability between Rhodes and the likes of Cole anyway.

Rhodes cost 8m, Cole would cost 50, 60, or 70 m in today's market. It is and always has been a pointless and academic debate. He's not as good as a select handful who have worn the blue and white halves during the Premiership era, he's better than a good many of them over the years and his goalscoring record stands up for scrutiny against anyone.

Anyone looking beyond that is trying to find fault for the sake of it.

Stuart compared Rhodes to Cole so it was bound to bring a response.

• Backroom

There was no goading - merely a request for an answer to a legitimate question on Stuart's pet subject. He responded with an insult.

He responded with 'I don't have to dignify that question'. It wasn't legitimate at all, we KNOW he is a Rovers fan by virtue of his 8 year membership on here (I assume that is the question you refer to)?

As for insults, what was your most recent ban for? You're hardly whiter than white.

We really are screwed if Graham is intended as Rhodes' long term replacement.

Why?

Graham has a very solid record at our level, I hope we sign him. He had a good game yesterday by some accounts and offers something different to Rhodes in that he can play with his back to goal and has the strength to have the ball 'stick' with him.

Very thinly veiled barbs aimed at players that we have now do you no credit in my opinion.

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon

He responded with 'I don't have to dignify that question'. It wasn't legitimate at all, we KNOW he is a Rovers fan by virtue of his 8 year membership on here (I assume that is the question you refer to)?

As for insults, what was your most recent ban for? You're hardly whiter than white.

Wrong question. If you have anything to say to me please use PM, not a public forum. .

Why?

Graham has a very solid record at our level, I hope we sign him. He had a good game yesterday by some accounts and offers something different to Rhodes in that he can play with his back to goal and had the strength to have the ball 'stick' with him.

Very thinly barbs aimed at players that we have now do you no credit in my opinion.

I don't rate Graham in the slightest, as is my prerogative. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong for the sake of the team.

I don't rate Graham in the slightest, as is my prerogative. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong for the sake of the team.

It may well be your prerogative, I did not suggest otherwise.

You've obviously seen quite a lot of Danny Graham to be so dismissive of him. Anyone would think you were baring a grudge for some reason.

What's all this talk of bans ? What would they be for ? Goading ? Could you define that for me please ? I thought we were all grown up's on here.

You would have thought so. There's a couple who need to dry their eyes though. They remind me of my 9 year old self when Dave Wagstaffe left.

Graham was a fine player a few years ago but looks past his sell-by date to me. Hopefully he can notch a few goals before the end of the season to help us avoid the drop but I'm hoping Lambert has signed him only as a stop-gap until the summer. I certainly wouldn't like to see him signed permanently.

I'm just waiting for you to post 'that's the last I'll say on the subject' and get back to writing good readable posts.

• Like 1

All I did was request an answer to a perfectly legitimate question (admittedly asked by another member) - which you've still refused to answer. You chose to respond with an insult. You've served your time for insulting members over the years.

You need to forget about Rhodes. He's gone.

I don't need to answer any questions you pose. Especially ones designed to provoke or that question if I am a Rovers fan. Why should I need to answer to you?

I'm happy to say that any hiatus I've had have been self imposed Jim since I know where the line between banter and genuine bile. You however... yet you continue with the same permanent insolent tone regardless.

All that said, if I have insulted you in some way then I apologise (although I'm not sure how demeaning a picture of two of the greatest ever British comedians would be).

I await for you to reciprocate.

As for Rhodes. I'm sure there is much debate still left and less than one week after he has left is hardly time for his dressing room seat to go cold. When Rovers start to win in games, the Rhodes-shaped shadow will no doubt fade. Until then his spectre shall remain - whether I mention it or not.

As for Dean's question. We were already out of embargo because Venkys threw some money into the pot, they could easily increase that for the right player(s), plus we have shed other players from the wage bill - including a fee for Olsson and even Koita. If that and Venkys can't cover a few loans, without having to sell the Crown Jewels then it's time to shut up shop. No, I fully expect money to be available for Lambert to spend in the Summer. If not then I'm sure there'll be plenty of short memories around to tell me that the money has all been legitimately spent and to "stop having my glass half full" and stick to the positives. :rolleyes:

• Like 1