BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

I think the question that was posed and never answered by the " All our eggs in one basket " Rhodes cheerleaders was - "What happens if he gets injured ? "

Still waiting for an answer to that one.

Of course a cynic would argue that given his style of play he was pretty unlikely to get injured unless he dropped his wallet onto his foot.

I can understand those pointing out that we could and should have kept Rhodes as the money has not been invested. However, I believe this misses the real point of the transfer and that is all about systems rather than personnel.

Lambert prefers 1 up front and Rhodes, for all his finishing qualities, gives no outlet either through physicality or pace. Even if we had kept him here the system would've been stuffed and that's before we take into account the supposed resentment at his renumeration throughout the rest of the squad.

Will we score enough goals to stay up this season? In my mind undoubtedly. Will we improve next season? In my mind yes, without a doubt.

• Like 1

I think the question that was posed and never answered by the " All our eggs in one basket " Rhodes cheerleaders was - "What happens if he gets injured ? "

Sorry I'm confused now. What is the mb argument here? That he isn't good enough due to his countless weaknesses and poor scoring record? Or that we are overly reliant on one star player?

The goalposts are getting switched a little of late so it's a it hard to keep up.

Of course a cynic would argue that given his style of play he was pretty unlikely to get injured unless he dropped his wallet onto his foot.

Hahahaha... that made me spit my coffee out.

I can understand those pointing out that we could and should have kept Rhodes as the money has not been invested. However, I believe this misses the real point of the transfer and that is all about systems rather than personnel.

Lambert prefers 1 up front and Rhodes, for all his finishing qualities, gives no outlet either through physicality or pace. Even if we had kept him here the system would've been stuffed and that's before we take into account the supposed resentment at his renumeration throughout the rest of the squad.

Will we score enough goals to stay up this season? In my mind undoubtedly. Will we improve next season? In my mind yes, without a doubt.

Precisely.

Watched the highlights of the city/Leicester game last night and Leicester were absolutely brilliant. The guys up front - especially Vardy ran city ragged. No standing isolated waiting for someone to give him the ball. He and his fellow front men ran their socks off and put city on the back foot for the 90 mins.Those guys made things happen and I'm quite sure that's how Lambert wants us to play. That's how I want us to play as well. Play the game at a high pace coupled with a great work ethic and lots of movement.

• Like 2

Precisely.

Watched the highlights of the city/Leicester game last night and Leicester were absolutely brilliant. The guys up front - especially Vardy ran city ragged. No standing isolated waiting for someone to give him the ball. He and his fellow front men ran their socks off and put city on the back foot for the 90 mins.Those guys made things happen and I'm quite sure that's how Lambert wants us to play. That's how I want us to play as well. Play the game at a high pace coupled with a great work ethic and lots of movement.

I watched that as well Den. What a tremendous work ethic Leicester have. No lost causes there. Anybody wondering what's missing from Rhodes game ?

Just watch Vardy.

Vardy is phenomenon - no doubt about it. There's not many forwards who can beat a man, run with the ball at pace and finish like he does. Like all the best players in the modern game, he also works very hard, never stops - which is one of Rhodes's failings. He can be excused for being technically poor, but there's no excuse for not putting a shift in. It's astonishing to think that this time last year Leicester were in 20th place, and looking doomed to the drop. It must be one of the most remarkable turnaround stories in sport and, if they win the title, will probably put our 1995 triumph in the shade.

• Backroom

if they win the title, will probably put our 1995 triumph in the shade.

Without question. We were considered genuine title challengers in 94/95, Leicester were being pegged for the drop and Ranieri as the first manager to get the sack at the start of the season. Not sure there's a precedent anywhere in the modern game.

Vardy bears all the hallmarks of a player that's had to graft for everything he's got and knows he has to keep doing it. That's what playing non league etc does for players rather than graduating from an academy and having a 5 yr contract thrown at them after one or two good games.

You'll never get the likes of Rhodes grafting like that at this stage of his career. He's certainly not alone although he's a completely different kind of striker so yet again it's clutching at straws just to compare for the sake of slagging him off !

• Like 1

Without question. We were considered genuine title challengers in 94/95, Leicester were being pegged for the drop and Ranieri as the first manager to get the sack at the start of the season. Not sure there's a precedent anywhere in the modern game.

Ipswich Town under Alf Ramsey were promoted from the old Second Division in 1960-61 and won the old First Division the very next year. That was pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Ipswich Town under Alf Ramsey were promoted from the old Second Division in 1960-61 and won the old First Division the very next year. That was pretty remarkable.

Yes, I don't really count that as the modern game though! I mean more in the last twenty five years or so, after the influx of money and the massive advantage it's given the likes of Man United, and later Chelsea, Man City, etc.

• Like 1

You'll never get the likes of Rhodes grafting like that at this stage of his career. He's certainly not alone although he's a completely different kind of striker so yet again it's clutching at straws just to compare for the sake of slagging him off !

The point is to highlight how the modern game is played.

• Like 1

The point is to highlight how the modern game is played.

Boro must be old fashioned then, be interesting to see where it gets them, although I actually think they usually play a hard working closing down pressing game. Obviously there was something missing though.

Vardy is phenomenon - no doubt about it. There's not many forwards who can beat a man, run with the ball at pace and finish like he does. Like all the best players in the modern game, he also works very hard, never stops - which is one of Rhodes's failings. He can be excused for being technically poor, but there's no excuse for not putting a shift in. It's astonishing to think that this time last year Leicester were in 20th place, and looking doomed to the drop. It must be one of the most remarkable turnaround stories in sport and, if they win the title, will probably put our 1995 triumph in the shade.

Yet, incredibly, Vardy turned 29 a few days ago! Can't help wondering what happened in those "missing years".

Forest did it in the late 70s too, and then followed it up with two European Cup triumphs. That - for me - is the greatest achievement ever by an English club.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Forest did it in the late 70s too, and then followed it up with two European Cup triumphs. That - for me - is the greatest achievement ever by an English club.

And why it is a travesty that Fergie got a knighthood but not Clough.

• Like 6

Yes, I don't really count that as the modern game though! I mean more in the last twenty five years or so, after the influx of money and the massive advantage it's given the likes of Man United, and later Chelsea, Man City, etc.

Only seems like yesterday to me matey.

I agree with that.

And how did all the "big" Lancashire clubs miss him when he was running his socks off for Fleetwood ? Kudos to Leicester for gambling £1m on him - no doubt they'll receive a huge offer for him this summer.

I have to work near Fleetwood one day a week so have a bit of local knowledge. Loads of clubs looked at Vardy during his time at fleetwood but there were certain well known aspects of his lifestyle that put big clubs off at the time, that and his pricetag. At the time Fleetwoods owner was pumping silly money in and had no intention of letting him go for less that 1ml. He was seen as too high a risk for that sort of money.

Since the relegation thread is now a opinions on Rhodes thread I'll repeat myself. Let's give it a rest, let's see what Boro think in a month or so. If he is like Jordan of old their MB's will mirror ours those that think he's worth his weight in gold and those critical that all he does is score. If they get the Jordan we've had the last dozen or so games then there'll be a lynch mob mentality.

Let's give him a month there then re-visit this.

Since the relegation thread is now a opinions on Rhodes thread I'll repeat myself. Let's give it a rest, let's see what Boro think in a month or so. If he is like Jordan of old their MB's will mirror ours those that think he's worth his weight in gold and those critical that all he does is score. If they get the Jordan we've had the last dozen or so games then there'll be a lynch mob mentality.

Let's give him a month there then re-visit this.

A month will make no difference. Lambert doesn't want him and said he should have been sold two years ago. We played a totally different game at Boro and Lambert said that's the type of game he wants us to play. Quality playmaker(s) behind front players with good pace and movement is how he wants to go and left no room for Rhodes. No good bringing in a new manager then wanting him to play someone else's game.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about his "lifestyle" but to judge from the player Vardy has become every player should do it.

He's scored 23 top flight goals in his career at the age of 29. Shearer, Cole and Lampard had managed that by age 22 and Rooney by 19.

Vardy is either a one season wonder, and that is still quite possible considering there have been plenty of 20+ goal strikers in the PL who never managed it again, or he's wasted the majority of his career. Although perhaps wasted is a bit harsh, the likes of Ian Wright didn't get picked up until late on as well so maybe he slipped through the net or was a late developer.

But I certainly don't think every player should adopt Vardy's lifestyle if they want a full glittering career and not just an Indian summer.

• Like 3