BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

A month will make no difference. Lambert doesn't want him and said he should have been sold two years ago. We played a totally different game at Boro and Lambert said that's the type of game he wants us to play. Quality playmaker(s) behind front players with good pace and movement is how he wants to go and left no room for Rhodes. No good bringing in a new manager then wanting him to play someone else's game.

I was referring to how Jordan is doing there.

He's scored 23 top flight goals in his career at the age of 29. Shearer, Cole and Lampard had managed that by age 22 and Rooney by 19.

Vardy is either a one season wonder, and that is still quite possible considering there have been plenty of 20+ goal strikers in the PL who never managed it again, or he's wasted the majority of his career. Although perhaps wasted is a bit harsh, the likes of Ian Wright didn't get picked up until late on as well so maybe he slipped through the net or was a late developer.

But I certainly don't think every player should adopt Vardy's lifestyle if they want a full glittering career and not just an Indian summer.

Vardy has fought back from being released by Sheffield Wednesday as a junior and going into the amateur game to forge an excellent career that has seen him score 101 goals in 195 senior games, including 23 in 58 Premier League appearances. This season he has been recognised as the outstanding forward in the league and is tipped for a big money move in the summer. He has also won 4 England caps and is likely to lead England's attack in the European championships this summer.

It is quite likely that he is a late developer but the fact he has established himself at the top later in his career is testament to his qualities as a person and a player.

I would imagine that most players would gladly have adopted Vardy's lifestyle if they could be in his boots now.

Edited by jim mk2

Can't say I'm interested in the England team but on absolute merit Kane and Vardy should be up front. Kane should probably be first choice though I haven't seen enough of Vardy to just label him a "one season wonder". Is Hodgson brave enough to drop Rooney or Sterling from the starting 11 however? Or accomodate Rooney as an AM or Sterling on the wing (or AM)?

Edited by VinjayV4

Vardy has fought back from being released by Sheffield Wednesday as a junior and going into the amateur game to forge an excellent career that has seen him score 101 goals in 195 senior games, including 23 in 58 Premier League appearances. This season he has been recognised as the outstanding forward in the league and is tipped for a big money move in the summer. He has also won 4 England caps and is likely to lead England's attack in the European championships this summer.

It is quite likely that he is a late developer but the fact he has established himself at the top later in his career is testament to his qualities as a person and a player.

I would imagine that most players would gladly have adopted Vardy's lifestyle if they could be in his boots now.

Fought back? As in he was released by a professional club and then spent a decade playing amateur football? If he's as good as you say he is (or even half as good) then taking a decade to work your way back into the professional game is seriously poor. I'd imagine stuff like playing with an electronic tag and having to observe a curfew for 6 months didn't help.

I agree he's been superb this season but I'd like to see him repeat the trick before I join in the love-in. Have to say its quite interesting that you're happy to give Vardy 10 years to start producing and yet was on Lambert's back within weeks.

How many players can you name who drop out of the professional game in their teens and then fight back their way back, all the way to the top flight and England team ?

This isn't a "love-in" but a player deserves a pat on the back when it's due. Whichever way you look at it, Vardy's is an extraordinary story.

Lambert's results have been poor; criticism on here has been pretty mild really. If Lambert is still here in 10 years I'll eat my flat cap.

Edited by jim mk2

Lambert's results have been poor; criticism on here has been pretty mild really. If Lambert is still here in 10 years I'll eat my flat cap.

They've been better than Bowyers, and that comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

Warning! Warning! Hyperbole alert! Warning!

How's it hyperbole? He joined Stocksbridge Park Steels in 2002 and joined Leicester in 2012.

They've been better than Bowyers, and that comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

How's it hyperbole? He joined Stocksbridge Park Steels in 2002 and joined Leicester in 2012.

Because he signed for Halifax in about 2010, then Fleetwood. Halifax were part time and Fleetwood full time, so to say he was playing amateur football for the 10 years preceding 2012 is utter b*llocks I'm afraid.

Because he signed for Halifax in about 2010, then Fleetwood. Halifax were part time and Fleetwood full time, so to say he was playing amateur football for the 10 years preceding 2012 is utter b*llocks I'm afraid.

All right 8-9 years then depending on whether part time classes as amateur or professional. Yes I was clearly miles out.

How many players can you name who drop out of the professional game in their teens and then fight back their way back, all the way to the top flight and England team ?

This isn't a "love-in" but a player deserves a pat on the back when it's due. Whichever way you look at it, Vardy's is an extraordinary story.

If you can name any manager now that will be managing at the same club in ten years time you're a good'un Jim. If you can name one that will still be there in five years time it'll be quite an achievement these days.

• Like 1