BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Just looking at the Championship league table throws up some very interesting statistics.

Rovers have conceded just 27 goals in the league this season. Only 3 teams in the whole division have conceded less goals than Rovers, those being automatic promotion chasers Burnley (26), Middlesbrough (16) and Hull (19). Derby County and Forest have conceded 27 also.

Even the teams chasing the play-offs known for their defensive resilience have conceded significantly more than we have, Ipswich on 39 for example.

Beyond this we have 'only' lost 10 games this season, which is a low figure for a side in our position. Birmingham and Ipswich, just outside the play-offs, have lost 9, whilst Rotherham, third bottom, have lost 9 more games than we have.

In comparison to the sides down at the wrong end of the table with us, the bottom 3 sides have all conceded basically double the amount of goals we have this season, Bolton (52), Charlton (56) and Rotherham (55).

Its quite clear that at the back we are a very strong side and there is little/no work that needs to be done on that front to very quickly climb the league.

At the other end of the pitch the story is very different. Rovers have scored just 28 goals all season, with only Charlton (26), Bristol City (27) and MK Dons (25) scoring less goals than us. Alarmingly Fulham have scored 47 yet sit below us, whilst all the top 6 sides have scored 20+ more goals than us over the 30 games this season.

I would like to think moving forward, as long as we survive this season, that the major surgery will be concentrated on our attacking abilities and not on our defence, which has been consistent all season.

Low goals scored. Lots of draws. I'd say that's a sign of a team going nowhere...............oh hang on!!!!!!

• Backroom

Unfortunately this season in particular has seen our team at a real low point in terms of creativity and strikers with the ability to score goals. We started the season arguably without a creative player anywhere in the team, whilst aside from JR the rest of our strikers were better known for not scoring goals.

In Gomez, Graham and Watt we have probably brought in enough to get us over the line for this season. Some major surgery will be required in the summer to correct the glaring creative and goal scoring deficiencies across the squad (especially if you exclude those currently on loan).

More on the stats:

http://experimental361.com/2016/02/17/comparing-the-three-football-league-divisions-17-feb-2016/

in summary, we're fairly dominant in terms of shots faced vs shots conceeded, plus our defence is one of the most effective in the league - however we are one of the most wasteful in terms of converting shots to goals.

• Like 1

Just looking at the Championship league table throws up some very interesting statistics.

Rovers have conceded just 27 goals in the league this season. Only 3 teams in the whole division have conceded less goals than Rovers, those being automatic promotion chasers Burnley (26), Middlesbrough (16) and Hull (19). Derby County and Forest have conceded 27 also.

Even the teams chasing the play-offs known for their defensive resilience have conceded significantly more than we have, Ipswich on 39 for example.

Beyond this we have 'only' lost 10 games this season, which is a low figure for a side in our position. Birmingham and Ipswich, just outside the play-offs, have lost 9, whilst Rotherham, third bottom, have lost 9 more games than we have.

In comparison to the sides down at the wrong end of the table with us, the bottom 3 sides have all conceded basically double the amount of goals we have this season, Bolton (52), Charlton (56) and Rotherham (55).

Its quite clear that at the back we are a very strong side and there is little/no work that needs to be done on that front to very quickly climb the league.

At the other end of the pitch the story is very different. Rovers have scored just 28 goals all season, with only Charlton (26), Bristol City (27) and MK Dons (25) scoring less goals than us. Alarmingly Fulham have scored 47 yet sit below us, whilst all the top 6 sides have scored 20+ more goals than us over the 30 games this season.

I would like to think moving forward, as long as we survive this season, that the major surgery will be concentrated on our attacking abilities and not on our defence, which has been consistent all season.

Good post. To be fair the defensive improvement was noticeable pre-Lambert. My biggest gripe with Bowyer was the goals conceeded column and I was pleasantly suprised this season. The loss of Cairney and Gestede didn't help him going forward however.

That's why I was so relaxed as we lost five on the bounce one nil. Narrow, narrow margins too close to call. We're going to be ok under Lambert and already look more of a team to me.

Conceeding less than 40 will be vital if we are to hit the play-offs. Fair play to our Captain. I've been a critic in the past, but I've no complaints this season and hes really won me over.

I think Hanley got a lot of deserved stick last season because we all knew he could do a lot better. Also the question marks about his off field habits which I don't think was doing him any good. He definitely seems to have cleaned up his act and got his ample heed back of the job. He's been excellent so far compared to last season and fair play to him.

Sad thing is though if his form stays consistent he'll be the one paying the bills after summer :o

• Like 5

I think Hanley got a lot of deserved stick last season because we all knew he could do a lot better. Also the question marks about his off field habits which I don't think was doing him any good. He definitely seems to have cleaned up his act and got his ample heed back of the job. He's been excellent so far compared to last season and fair play to him.

Sad thing is though if his form stays consistent he'll be the one paying the bills after summer :o

Got to agree same can be said for Marshall two players here before Lambert who'll be sacrificed to rob Peter to pay Paul

To be replaced with cheap dross .. If anyone thinks the Rhodes cash will be pumped back in they can forget it.. No more parachute payments it's now going to be used for running costs

Edited by Athlete
  • Like 1

Got to agree same can be said for Marshall two players here before Lambert who'll be sacrificed to rob Peter to pay Paul

To be replaced with cheap dross .. If anyone thinks the Rhodes cash will be pumped back in they can forget it.. No more parachute payments it's now going to be used for running costs

You may be right.But why would Lambert have come here without assurances that he would have money to spend?

You may be right.But why would Lambert have come here without assurances that he would have money to spend?

Of course that is the crux of it all.

This is a big job for Lambert, get this wrong and it will be a total re-build of his career. So he must have been told that funds would be given to him in the summer, why risk his reputation otherwise?

If it is another summer like 2015 this time round, then 1) he will have been sold a pup and 2) with no more parachute payments, aiming to just stay competitive in the second tier will be our target in the future.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Lets hope next season there will be a promotion thread.

Definitely don't think so either unless there's an injury list comparable to 98/99. Or comparable to this one like United have at the moment.

CbcJ9qSUkAADIHU.png

Can't remember if it was mentioned on here but Wigan Athletic look to be taking over Bolton's training ground facilities aside from their academy. It does not seem like Wigan have had the problems that have crippled Bolton. They still have parachute payments though (giving them an advantage in League 1) and presumably subsidising from Whelan still. Unlike Bolton with Davies.

Apparently former United/Chelsea CEO Peter Kenyon is working with Tamraz on the deal. At some point he was (and maybe still is) working with Middlesbrough in an advisory capacity. Reportedly he's also transformed Atletico Madrid's finances for money making potential. Seem to recall a thread linking him to Rovers (quite a while ago now) was there any truth in that as far as an advisory position?

Have I woken up in a parallel universe and United are bottom of the Championship?

• Like 1

He may have been given assurances but those assurances from the Venky's yes the very same Venky's who have given a lot of assurances but didn't stick to those assurances

I fully expect Lambert to be given the Rhodes money and abit more.

Lambert would have sought assurances from the owners about the cash that is available come this summer before he even signed here as a manager.

Lambert came here to get this club promote and to get this club promote to the PL.

Plus why would Venkys have got us out of embargo and allowed us to spend money come this summer?

He may have been given assurances but those assurances from the Venky's yes the very same Venky's who have given a lot of assurances but didn't stick to those assurances

I curse the day the venky's bought rovers and can't wait for the day they are Gone.However regarding the Rhodes transfer they turned down sizeable bids for Rhodes in the past,to sell was what Lambert wanted so surely he will be given funds?

Lambert and the backroom staff won't have come cheap added to the fact that they worked to lift the embargoe leaves me believing funds will be available this summer

• Like 1

I curse the day the venky's bought rovers and can't wait for the day they are Gone.However regarding the Rhodes transfer they turned down sizeable bids for Rhodes in the past,to sell was what Lambert wanted so surely he will be given funds?

Lambert and the backroom staff won't have come cheap added to the fact that they worked to lift the embargoe leaves me believing funds will be available this summer

I believe that you are correct and that next season we go hell bent for a real promotion push.

I fully expect Lambert to be given the Rhodes money and abit more.

Lambert would have sought assurances from the owners about the cash that is available come this summer before he even signed here as a manager.

Lambert came here to get this club promote and to get this club promote to the PL.

Plus why would Venkys have got us out of embargo and allowed us to spend money come this summer?

Nothing Venky's have done since Nov 2010 has been done for the good of BRFC so why is it going to start now?

You really are blinkered

The FFP they did the minimum this could have course been sorted along while ago

You really are blinkered

I could say the same for your comments about Lambert and players signed by Lambert.

Like Lambert has said a number of times he hasnt come here to be mid table championship manager but come here to get promote and be a PL manager with us.

We arent going down this season IMO.

And I think Lambert will get top 6 next season aswell

• Like 2

Personally think he will get a fair chunk of the money to spend this summer.. but from my perspective I would love us to spend a tiny bit of it and get just one half decent sales person in now.. I am ashamed at the quality and lack of advertising on our billboards.. cheap beer, solicitors and betting companies.. oh and frackin mini Venkys stickers to fill some of the gaps (they better at least be paying for em). It is after all a multi-million pound business this football lark even the championship. You would think that it costs a fortune making the signs for those at the very least they could have advertised a charity or Rovers Player in the numerous white gaps.

Nothing Venky's have done since Nov 2010 has been done for the good of BRFC so why is it going to start now?

You really are blinkered

The FFP they did the minimum this could have course been sorted along while ago

I hate em with a passion as well mate, but they have done a handful of half decent things like keep us funded and get in PL.. most of the good stuff is pretty new to us and I know none of us will never forget the joy ride they have put us through.. but at least we didn't do a Wigan/Bolton/Blackpool/Luton/Wimbledon to us.... well yet anyway (not keeping my hopes up on that front).

FFP rules are relaxed in Smmer, so Venky's can carry on taking the hit for the income deficit, like they have since we got relegated. If they give PL only what he brings in, Including the Rhodes money, that's a sizeable sum and personally I have faith that he will assemble a squad capable of at least the playoffs with it. You can't rule out the fact that Venkys are morons of course, but the one thing they haven't been shy of doing is putting in money (whose it is, is debatable). With the relaxed rules and a top management team for this division, we have to be in with a good shot.

Now we just have to stay in this division!

FUP rules are relaxed in Smmer, so Venky's can carry on taking the hit for the income deficit, like they have since we got relegated. If they give PL only what he brings in, Including the Rhodes money, that's a sizeable sum and personally I have faith that he will assemble a squad capable of at least the playoffs with it. You can't rule out the fact that Venkys are morons of course, but the one thing they haven't been shy of doing is putting in money (whose it is, is debatable). With the relaxed rules and a top management team for this division, we have to be in with a good shot.

Now we just have to stay in this division!

Elaborate?

Edited by VinjayV4

Wholly agreed on Hanley. Never thought I'd see him being the one to organise defence.

Genuinely think it bodes well that Lambert will be an idol to both Hanley and Duffy.

Shane Duffy considers Grant Hanley performer of the season thus far.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14289358.Shane_Duffy__Grant_Hanley_has_been__head_and_shoulders__above_every_other_Blackburn_Rovers_player/?ref=mac

Wholly agreed on Hanley. Never thought I'd see him being the one to organise defence.

Genuinely think it bodes well that Lambert will be an idol to both Hanley and Duffy.

It looked earlier in the season like him and Duffy did not get on I think Lambert sorted them out and now they look like a partnership.You dont need to be best friends to work together just need to be professional and get on with it.