BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

16 minutes ago, Husky said:

Check my post from March 10th here.

We were actually on 44 points when I said we could lose every game from now on (including Wigan at home) and still stay up. Today, with Rotherham still only on 40 points with 2 games left, that could still be the case.

It's amazing to think (if Rotherham don't get more than 1 win against West Brom and Boro) we could have taken just 1 point from our last 17 games of the season (worse than doing a Big Club Brum) and STILL have stayed up. ?

Yes. Add in Millwall aren't doing that much better, and it seems we'd have had to do beyond horrific to have any chance of going down. 

• Backroom

If Dack is sold and we start next season with Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew lining up it's probably best to be left up. Hopefully such notions will be considered nonsense by the time we get to August though. Come on Tony, you know what you need to do. 

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

If Dack is sold and we start next season with Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew lining up it's probably best to be left up. Hopefully such notions will be considered nonsense by the time we get to August though. Come on Tony, you know what you need to do. 

Like anyone’s going to come in for Dack, offering the kind of money we’re wanting. He’s looked bang average for a long time. 

• Backroom
Just now, scotchrover said:

Like anyone’s going to come in for Dack, offering the kind of money we’re wanting. He’s looked bang average for a long time. 

At this point we can't say for sure what we'd accept as an offer though. For sure his value to other teams has decreased, but Tony may also be fed up with Dack's playboy lifestyle and inconsistent performances. It's possible he'd agree to sell him at a lesser fee than originally anticipated if he'd have the bulk of it to reinvest. Granted if there's one thing we know about Venky's it is that money from player sales does not get reinvested at anywhere near the same level, but still. Who knows. I'm not sure Dack's personality meshes with Mowbray's expectations and may be cause to move him out. I hope not, frankly, as even an inconsistent Dack has been our most productive player this season by a fair distance, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dack was sold for a lesser price than we would expect. 

6 hours ago, DE. said:

At this point we can't say for sure what we'd accept as an offer though. For sure his value to other teams has decreased, but Tony may also be fed up with Dack's playboy lifestyle and inconsistent performances. It's possible he'd agree to sell him at a lesser fee than originally anticipated if he'd have the bulk of it to reinvest. Granted if there's one thing we know about Venky's it is that money from player sales does not get reinvested at anywhere near the same level, but still. Who knows. I'm not sure Dack's personality meshes with Mowbray's expectations and may be cause to move him out. I hope not, frankly, as even an inconsistent Dack has been our most productive player this season by a fair distance, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dack was sold for a lesser price than we would expect. 

And yet none of it goes towards paying off our debt. So where does it go?

7 hours ago, DE. said:

Its a while since Dack was inconsistent. :(

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’d be guessing but I reckon we’ve probably spent nearly 20m hiring and firing managers under venkys.

From recollection Shebby managed to get Kean an extra £1.2m in compensation for the way he left the club, and that was a resignation! I dread to think how much money we've wasted over the years terminating players' contracts early as well. A lot of people have made very good money off this club and given us bugger all in return. 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Its a while since Dack was inconsistent. :(

He was baba last night but he has had good performances with two goals and an assist in the previous four games.

Because of the potential realisable value people seem to judge him harshly but for those advocating selling our best player to cash in - I could not disagree more.

• Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

He was baba last night but he has had good performances with two goals and an assist in the previous four games.

Because of the potential realisable value people seem to judge him harshly but for those advocating selling our best player to cash in - I could not disagree more.

Not being argumentative but I would sell - for upwards of £12m.

And it’s not as much about what he does on field - which seems to be moments these days rather than being a star of the show. These moments can be the difference in games though so he is a luxury we have to carry.

My bigger concern is what happens off the field and the impact it has on his mindset. If he can’t help to get us promoted then his value will only fall the longer he is here and could even go on a free. He is a potentially great player who I don’t think will ever achieve what he could without his distractions.

If Mowbray needs a new spine then which Chapman, Rothwell, even Butterworth in the wings, he may need to cash in to finance his plans for a GK, CB, CM and CF.

And I’m not sure who else he could sell?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not being argumentative but I would sell - for upwards of £12m.

And it’s not as much about what he does on field - which seems to be moments these days rather than being a star of the show. These moments can be the difference in games though so he is a luxury we have to carry.

My bigger concern is what happens off the field and the impact it has on his mindset. If he can’t help to get us promoted then his value will only fall the longer he is here and could even go on a free. He is a potentially great player who I don’t think will ever achieve what he could without his distractions.

If Mowbray needs a new spine then which Chapman, Rothwell, even Butterworth in the wings, he may need to cash in to finance his plans for a GK, CB, CM and CF.

And I’m not sure who else he could sell?

We've heard and seen all this before. We want to strengthen. You don't kick that off by selling your best player. Numerous times we've seen sales of key players supposedly to raise the funds for new signings. Never so simple. To start with we would have to replace Dack's goals this season before we looked at the other positions. Unlikely to work.

I'm surprised after what went on with Rhodes, Gestede, Hanley, Duffy and Cairney that anyone would trust these owners to sensibly reinvest the proceeds. Last time we tried selling to raise cash we ended up in League One.

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

We've heard and seen all this before. We want to strengthen. You don't kick that off by selling your best player. Numerous times we've seen sales of key players supposedly to raise the funds for new signings. Never so simple. To start with we would have to replace Dack's goals this season before we looked at the other positions. Unlikely to work.

I'm surprised after what went on with Rhodes, Gestede, Hanley, Duffy and Cairney that anyone would trust these owners to sensibly reinvest the proceeds. Last time we tried selling to raise cash we ended up in League One.

That reads like you only read the first line of my post.

There are merits in keeping him, for sure. But I think he will let us down and we need to cash in while his stock is still high.

It’s funny though, I was saying exactly what you were but about Rhodes, who scored goal after goal for us, and was shot down time and again.

• 1 year later...

With 2 teenagers, Bell and Nyambe as the back 4, I agree.  The 2 teenagers are not ready for mens football by the looks of it to me.  Sadly, our best pair is Lenihan and Ayala if he can get fit...My preference is Lenihan Wharton but that's not happening this season. 

😔😔 a sorry, sorry state of affairs. 

Sounds like we are going to be without Gallagher and Nyambe for a while. 

Mowbray has said he's "done his hamstring" but without going into much detail but the article says he expects both to be out for a while.

So, its Bennett or THB for the foreseeable at right back.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/february/injury-update-sam-gallagher-and-ryan-nyambe/