BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you don't really remember Sulley then you probably never saw Garner at his peak. Before talking utter nonsense on a forum; forcing your opinion on everyone (when it's worthless by your own admission) , spend a few minutes watching Garner on youtube. Talk to your dad or someone. It was magic when Garner scored! he was a hero for years and years. A 2nd division Dalglish!

He had much more to his game than Rhodes.

I think you need to talk to someone yourself, about manners.

I saw Garner too, and he was great, as is Rhodes. I wasn't being disrespectful to a legend, I just happen to think that Rhodes is better, maybe it's the dross around him that makes me think that.

I don't remember Sulley very well as he didn't stand out much, and it was 27 years ago.

I don't particularly want to argue with you though, as you don't seem very nice.

My point was we are low on quality and ability overall.

Players with proven talents:

Ollson

Marshall

Conway

Rhodes

The rest haven't shown any consistent quality (BOTH AT ROVERS AND THROUGHOUT THEIR CAREERS). I think if we all analysed them individually and comparatively, it would spell out the danger.

Olsson and Marshall? What a strange choice. Do get down to Ewood at all?

It's all about individual player development down there these days. I think that may be the emphasis on the training ground. If Hanley continues to play well then if the right bid comes in next window he'll be off. Pats on the back all around, maybe a nice bit of commission then on to the next one. Owners to ignorant to realise this type of thing won't continue and the team continues to downgrade and suffer in the league. They ain't watchin it though so they won't give a @#/? !

Just as a matter of interest how old are you Tomphil?

Why would Gestede be "at a push"? He scored over 20 goals for us last season, remember.

As an aside for the older members..... I was speaking with Steve Kindon last week and he said he was the one that Jim Smith wanted to sign when the board knocked him back and signed the fat useless ale can Jon Radford who turned out to be the 70's equivalent of Danny Murphy. Just here for a last pay day. Kindon reckoned the board were 5k short of the asking price and had to back out (he went back to Burnley). A definite threat was Kindon but not particularly good with his head and with Hird and Bailey supplying and overlapping Waggy and Taylor I'd have to say if we could bundle Gestede into a tardis he'd have scored an absolute sackful with the amount and quality of crosses flighted across our box and we'd have strolled into the top division.

if you don't really remember Sulley then you probably never saw Garner at his peak. Before talking utter nonsense on a forum; forcing your opinion on everyone (when it's worthless by your own admission) , spend a few minutes watching Garner on youtube. Talk to your dad or someone. It was magic when Garner scored! he was a hero for years and years. A 2nd division Dalglish!

He had much more to his game than Rhodes.

You ever see Andy McEvoy colt? Or Fred Pick? Rhodes and SG combined weren't as good as those two.

Conparing Gayle to Conway is like comparing Lowe to Sherwood. Conway is a winger wheras Gayle was a striker. In the days when that meant the two who play up front. Sadly Conway would miss out to Sellars.

Odd that nobody's mentioned Noel B yet.

• Backroom

Play the ball and not the man, Gordon. If you disagree then explain why, rather than making a subtle dig about the perceived age of the poster. Comments like this are what cause people to become defensive and throw back personal barbs in response, rather than debate properly.

Based on what Bowyer himself has said about player value and our overall business model in recent times it seems reasonable to suggest that the focus at Ewood is centered more around player value than results on the pitch, doesn't it? From my perspective it's difficult to explain the likes of Lowe and Hanley having guaranteed spots in the team every week, and replacing our experienced first choice keeper with a nineteen year old rookie who's already made numerous errors in the first few games, unless you take player value through first team appearances into account.

Admittedly, it does not explain the likes of Williamson being given a new contract, or our apparent pursuit of Jodi McAnuff, but there's enough evidence to suggest the balance is skewered a little too far in the development direction rather than the results direction - and Bowyer being essentially a developmental coach before stepping up to manager adds fuel to that fire.

And whats so strange- one of them was our best player last season and the other one is our second most expensive player in the squad

Best player last season! :rolleyes: Running around a lot does not make a great player else somebody would sign Mo Farah.

Moving on to a more experienced and accurate analysis...... one is a failed winger and the others head goes down quicker than a cheap tart. Now comment on that.

Play the ball and not the man, Gordon. If you disagree then explain why, rather than making a subtle dig about the perceived age of the poster.

I think you've misread my intention. I ask because one needs to be over 40 to recall that discovering and developing talent before selling them is our natural position in football. JW turned up 25 or so years back but one needed to be at least 15 then to understand the situation.

• Backroom

I think you've misread my intention. I ask because one needs to be over 40 to recall that discovering and developing talent before selling them is our natural position in football. JW turned up 25 or so years back but one needed to be at least 15 then to understand the situation.

Every club below the PL has to develop talent and sell them. Hell, we were doing it whilst we were in the Prem only six or seven years ago, so you don't really need to be a specific age to know this is how it works for clubs like ours.

The point tomphil was making, as far as I can see, is that we aren't balancing player development with getting results on the pitch, as every other club also has to do in order to survive and improve.

The point tomphil was making, as far as I can see, is that we aren't balancing player development with getting results on the pitch, as every other club also has to do in order to survive and improve.

I very much doubt you could attribute balancing development/results as the main area of concern.

I don't think managers see football like that to be honest, development in value comes from playing well. GB and any manager who needs to sell before he can buy in the long term will know that.

For instance, if a team specifically chose it's younger talent to play and give experience to at the cost of results, the players would be declining in value.

I don't think that GB has a percentage in mind and is balancing it, the back room team make selections based on their qualities, I concur with many that they are not adventurous overall- I just think the fans are focussing on team selections with a more skeptical and paranoid mindset. Who can blame them though really? Especially when "dragons den" and many other player value comments have been printed.

Olsson and Marshall? What a strange choice. Do get down to Ewood at all?

Just out of interest what has that got to do with anything ? I suppose your going to aim one of your 'that's a bit childish' gibes or something in my direction now ?

Good shout Gav. Let's do a like for like comparison on the 87/88 team under Mackay.

Gennoe or Raya

Price or Henley

Spurr or Sulley

Hanley and Duffy or Hendry and Mail

Gayle or Conway

Sellars or Marshall

Reid and Barker or any 2 from Lowe/Evans/Akpan/Guthrie

Garner or Rhodes

Archibald or any of our other strikers

Possibly Conway?

I'd take that side over anything we have today but more importantly I'd take Don Mackay. He'd shake todays lot up into some sort of team that's for sure. Of the present day lot I'd have Rhodes, Conway, Hanley on the bench.

Interesting that article. Sounds like he is putting the pressure in Gaz. Basically says "we got the players you wanted, now win some games...."

That was my take on it too jbn. Isn't it nice to see our managing director use the same excuse as Bart Simpson? ' I didn't do it '

What a mess.

I think you need to talk to someone yourself, about manners.

I saw Garner too, and he was great, as is Rhodes. I wasn't being disrespectful to a legend, I just happen to think that Rhodes is better, maybe it's the dross around him that makes me think that.

I don't remember Sulley very well as he didn't stand out much, and it was 27 years ago.

I don't particularly want to argue with you though, as you don't seem very nice.

Mike,

I just read my post back. You are quite right, my manners let me down and I apologise.I posted before my first coffee of the day and I agree that I don't seem very nice.

Sorry again!

Mike,

I just read my post back. You are quite right, my manners let me down and I apologise!

Good stuff Sir! A bit of humility.

Remember that BRFCC?

I have to agree with you though, I'd take Garner over Rhodes every day of the week. He ran the line, he had a great burst of pace - over those first 5 yards, and he closed them down. No offence to Jordan, but he's nowhere near.

Good shout Gav. Let's do a like for like comparison on the 87/88 team under Mackay.

Gennoe or Raya

Price or Henley

Spurr or Sulley

Hanley and Duffy or Hendry and Mail

Gayle or Conway

Sellars or Marshall

Reid and Barker or any 2 from Lowe/Evans/Akpan/Guthrie

Garner or Rhodes

Archibald or any of our other strikers

Possibly Conway?

Archibald was here for half a season......you could have chosen Sean Curry or Tony Diamond who were both here longer.........and I'd have still taken them over any of the other strikers we have now.

The 80s team was a lot better but time does confuse things. I'm sure in the 80s Rovers fans were complaining about the standard and saying the players in earlier eras were better than the present ones. I also seem to remember many fans complaining about central midfield,after Barker left, being weak with the likes of John Millar playing there. Some things aren't much different.

Don Mackay a manager who wringed the best out of what he had in very limited circumstances pre Jack. Nothing like what's available today. Gary Bowyer a manager in his 3rd full season using mostly the same squad yet seemingly still doesn't know what his best 11 is and probably not even who his best keeper is. Genuinely bizarre !

Don Mackay a manager who wringed the best out of what he had in very limited circumstances pre Jack. Nothing like what's available today. Gary Bowyer a manager in his 3rd full season using mostly the same squad yet seemingly still doesn't know what his best 11 is and probably not even who his best keeper is. Genuinely frustrating !

Archived