SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all.

I seen most games this season and I dont see a right back a problem

In the championship from what I've seen there's a few more high balls played in and across the penalty area than I'd see in the premiership. With this recurring theme all three aren't very good at heading which you'd have thought everyone connected with the club re recruitment would have rectified this by now.

Wasnt there a tale pre season about Rovers wanting bigger fullbacks, now I can see why.

In the championship from what I've seen there's a few more high balls played in and across the penalty area than I'd see in the premiership. With this recurring theme all three aren't very good at heading which you'd have thought everyone connected with the club re recruitment would have rectified this by now.

Wasnt there a tale pre season about Rovers wanting bigger fullbacks, now I can see why.

No they werent.

Just Unleaded's thoughts/opinions(i think)

It's become a meme on here that Lowe is 'alright at right-back'. Just because he runs around a lot? In the modern game, full back has become one of the most important positions on the pitch. You need a little more than just athleticism, you also need positional awareness and the intelligence to read the game, something that Lowe decidedly lacks.

It's become a meme on here that Lowe is 'alright at right-back'. Just because he runs around a lot? In the modern game, full back has become one of the most important positions on the pitch. You need a little more than just athleticism, you also need positional awareness and the intelligence to read the game, something that Lowe decidedly lacks.

So Amo, how many fans message boards of other football clubs do you opine so officiously, whilst never having witnessed a game?

Most people who don't attend show some humility in their views but that's not Amo's way, no he is the expert, so you are equally qualified to post your nonsense about individual players performances for the monkey hangers, the Seasiders, the valiants, the lions etc.

I've seen him be appalling at right back.

Relegation season and beyond.

Nyambe played one game and was out of his depth, Lowe has always been appalling, and Henley has gone back to being afraid of his own shadow and refusing to ever cross the ball.

I really dont you how you can judge a young player after one game.

Henley going forward is very good and defensively is decent enough. Plus I will say he marked Sterling out of the games against Liverpool.

I've seen him be appalling at right back.

Relegation season and beyond.

He's clumsy at RB, one paced, can't head and has given a few penalties away from rash decision making.

Henley infuriates me, he has the pace to bomb up and down but is afraid of the halfway line, he's more interested in his hair and his "walk". Lad really needs some gym time.

Bowyer said on the Rovers player that Tom Lawrence's best position is in the 10 role behind a striker.

So I can see why we short of a wide player. But who is available on loan?

I think the shout of Fulhams Swedish lad Kacaniclik (Merson Pronunciation There) is a cracker.

Then You look at the fringe sides in the PL.

Lloyd Dyer, Lee Chung-Yong - i'm sure there are many more options too.

I really dont you how you can judge a young player after one game.

Henley going forward is very good and defensively is decent enough. Plus I will say he marked Sterling out of the games against Liverpool.

Henley is not very good going forward Chaddy, the occasional overlap does not equal very good. As that's all he offers going forward. When he does get the ball in the final third it's usually head down thinking he's going to beat the full back for pace, which he doesn't, then his cross gets blocked easily. When a cross does find it's way in then it's usually a poor effort which doesn't get higher than the defender's waist.

And honestly I think it's a bit of a myth that he's got pace, I mean he's not slow but I wouldn't call him particularly pacy in any way.

The lad does get caught out positionally sometimes but he never stops trying I'll give him that. Games will only improve that side of his game so until it becomes a real problem, I'd be happy enough to see him play full back every game. He doesn't often get beat one on one down that right hand side either.

So Amo, how many fans message boards of other football clubs do you opine so officiously, whilst never having witnessed a game?

Most people who don't attend show some humility in their views but that's not Amo's way, no he is the expert, so you are equally qualified to post your nonsense about individual players performances for the monkey hangers, the Seasiders, the valiants, the lions etc.

It's actually quite the burden and attracts its fair share of haters. :)

I've seen enough of Lowe to know that he's a subpar footballer. Robbie Savage wasn't renowned for his ability on the ball, technically speaking he was a lower league player, but he made up for it with his work-rate and ability to hassle and press the opposition. At the most you could say that Lowe puts in the hard yards but that's no good when you can't pass, tackle or read the game. Bowyer loves a trier, though, especially one he brought through the academy.

Henley is not very good going forward Chaddy, the occasional overlap does not equal very good. As that's all he offers going forward. When he does get the ball in the final third it's usually head down thinking he's going to beat the full back for pace, which he doesn't, then his cross gets blocked easily. When a cross does find it's way in then it's usually a poor effort which doesn't get higher than the defender's waist.

And honestly I think it's a bit of a myth that he's got pace, I mean he's not slow but I wouldn't call him particularly pacy in any way.

The lad does get caught out positionally sometimes but he never stops trying I'll give him that. Games will only improve that side of his game so until it becomes a real problem, I'd be happy enough to see him play full back every game. He doesn't often get beat one on one down that right hand side either.

I totally agree with you re him going forward. He is very poor in the opposition's half and cannot cross (if he does finally manage to beat the first man).

In regards the other poster mentioning that Henley marked Sterling out of the game, I also remember Steven Reid having Christiano Ronaldo in his pocket at Ewood and Keith Andrews looked solid there too against Prem opposition when he covered at right back!

It's actually quite the burden and attracts its fair share of haters. :)

I've seen enough of Lowe to know that he's a subpar footballer. Robbie Savage wasn't renowned for his ability on the ball, technically speaking he was a lower league player, but he made up for it with his work-rate and ability to hassle and press the opposition. At the most you could say that Lowe puts in the hard yards but that's no good when you can't pass, tackle or read the game. Bowyer loves a trier, though, especially one he brought through the academy.

I always thought Savage was better technically than he was given credit for. Struck a ball well, good control, not a great long range passer maybe but then neither are loads in the premeir league. Certainly technically a lot better than any central mid we have now apart from maybe Guthrie.

If I was to pick the best midfield two from Rovers in the last fifteen years or would undoubtedly be Tugay and Savage. Part of that is because they complemented each other so well,partly because Tugay was genuinely world class on his day, but also that Savage was actually the best alround central midfielder we had. I take him over Nzonzi, Dunn, Flitcroft, Mokoena, etc etc as Savage gave you consistent dependable quality.

Only person who would give me pause would be Jermain Jones who was a beast. But then he also was only with us for half a season so not sure you can really count him.

Archived