BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Lawrence is still a bit raw and I don't think he'll ever develop into a superstar, but he brings something different to the game. There have been a few occasions this season when he's made a big difference, so it's worth extending his loan if possible imo. The lad's only 21 so he isn't going to be the finished article, but I think he's been an adequate replacement for Cairney.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29145/10091838/italy-world-cup-winner-luca-toni-set-to-retire-from-football

the dream is over.

For those of us who have wished, hoped, or just recycled the name year after year in the transfer window threads, it appears our chance to have Luca Toni in blue and white halves is now just that - a dream (or consistent running joke, take your pick)

Agreed. I have no idea why there is such a love in with him. Might be like when we signed Bentley though and he went from bang average to superstar.

The lad has shown he can be a game changer. How many players have we got like that? Not the finished article by a long way but we can't afford or attract the finished article these days.

Lawrence is still a bit raw and I don't think he'll ever develop into a superstar, but he brings something different to the game. There have been a few occasions this season when he's made a big difference, so it's worth extending his loan if possible imo. The lad's only 21 so he isn't going to be the finished article, but I think he's been an adequate replacement for Cairney.

Agree with this plus I think I prefer him to TC he certainly works harder and is quicker.

Not sure why some are so keen on keeping Lawrence, he's done OK but nothing more and his finishing is abysmal. Would rather have a proper striker alongside Rhodes myself.

he'd hit the bar if he was stood on the goal line.

good footballer though and probably worth signing for a fair price.

Agreed. I have no idea why there is such a love in with him. Might be like when we signed Bentley though and he went from bang average to superstar.

Because he has the potential to be a very good player and has shown glimpses of that here. Amazed that someone could question signing Larwence and bang the drum for Koita, who has already been found out by Lambert.

In the forwards department Brown and Delfouneso will be heading towards the exit door. They are both out of contract in the summer and neither has shown anything close to the level required for a promotion push through their entire careers. I'd also be surprised if Koita had much of a future under Lambert, although he has a year after this so there is still time for him to prove his worth.

Between those three we've had 1 league goal this season.

At this moment in time Lawrence has a month left at the club before going back to Leicester.

That leaves us with Rhodes alone.

We desperately need to strengthen in the forward department. I'd try to keep Lawrence as he has shown his quality and has plenty of time on his side to fulfil his obvious potential. He's just made the breakthrough to the Wales national side which is more significant than it once was. Hopefully at the very least we can get him until the end of the season and then talk about a permanent move depending on how ourselves, Lawrence and Leicester perform in the second half of the season. He's not going to get a sniff at Leicester at the moment and they ought to be happy to leave him to play at Rovers under Lambert's management.

Assuming we can keep Lawrence and we can't find new homes for Brown/Delfouneso then we need an additional forward in January. If we lose him then I'd hope we could bring two in.

I wouldn't be against keeping hold of Lawrence but don't see him as Bentley mk 2 as others perhaps do.

That's about my take on it. Given the choice, I'd choose to extend his loan, but, if money is in fact available to spend in January I wouldn't be reaching for the revolver if that was not possible. As you or someone else said, by and large his finishing has been abysmal.

It would perhaps be more crucial to extend his loan if we were still under embargo with all the restrictions that implies.

Forwards must be on Lambert's radar.

Brown still hasn't scored for the club and is out of contract.

The Fonz has been shipped out by Lambert at previous clubs and hasn't made the bench.

Kiota was terrible against Preston and if anything hampered our attack.

Lawrence goes back in a month.

Has anyone worked out any strikers that have previously been successful for Lambert and are available or could become available?

In the forwards department Brown and Delfouneso will be heading towards the exit door. They are both out of contract in the summer and neither has shown anything close to the level required for a promotion push through their entire careers. I'd also be surprised if Koita had much of a future under Lambert, although he has a year after this so there is still time for him to prove his worth.

Between those three we've had 1 league goal this season.

At this moment in time Lawrence has a month left at the club before going back to Leicester.

That leaves us with Rhodes alone.

We desperately need to strengthen in the forward department. I'd try to keep Lawrence as he has shown his quality and has plenty of time on his side to fulfil his obvious potential. He's just made the breakthrough to the Wales national side which is more significant than it once was. Hopefully at the very least we can get him until the end of the season and then talk about a permanent move depending on how ourselves, Lawrence and Leicester perform in the second half of the season. He's not going to get a sniff at Leicester at the moment and they ought to be happy to leave him to play at Rovers under Lambert's management.

Assuming we can keep Lawrence and we can't find new homes for Brown/Delfouneso then we need an additional forward in January. If we lose him then I'd hope we could bring two in.

Saw Brown for the first time, as he always looked that heavy?

Because he has the potential to be a very good player and has shown glimpses of that here. Amazed that someone could question signing Larwence and bang the drum for Koita, who has already been found out by Lambert.

And you know that Koita has been "found out" by Lambert how exactly??

Lawrence has also been benched too...does that support your theory in any way ?

And you know that Koita has been "found out" by Lambert how exactly??

Lawrence has also been benched too...does that support your theory in any way ?

In my opinion Koita isn't anywhere near good enough at this level, delfy also, poor players and not what we need.

I'm not convinced by Apkan either or Guthrie, but we have to wee with the willy we've got, for now anyway.

In my opinion Koita isn't anywhere near good enough at this level, delfy also, poor players and not what we need.

I'm not convinced by Apkan either or Guthrie, but we have to wee with the willy we've got, for now anyway.

Guthrie's fitness is a concern, but I've liked what I've seen of Akpan at times. He doesn't mind running forward with the ball and although I've seen him do that and lose it, he puts a shift in too get back. Not a quality player by any stretch but I think he's solid and it's over to him to continue to progress while he's still in the starting line-up. In january a striker in the Clayton Donaldson mould would be perfect and should be PL priority, big strong and a turn of pace, not always the best finisher but we have Jordan for that, someone who could add even half of Rhodes' goals would help us big time.

They are all a bit turd compared to what we've had in the past. I think SD just likes to hang off me saying that Koita is effective and a good foil for Rhodes...which he translates as me saying Koita is absolutely awesome.

I do disagree though because I think there are goals in him and that he makes things happen around him. Defenders panic around him because he is strong, direct and unpredictable. (More in comparison to Kuqi than Kaka though SD ☺) Although he'd get vilified, I used to like Kalanic and could see he was a fine line off scoring a hatful, or none...and he has done well for himself. So, yes I do believe that Koita can score goals at this level. Especially on a wet and windy Friday against Rotherham. But plenty of crap players have cut it in the Championship.

I quite like Akpan too. He looks for the ball, tackles, closes down, ok in the air, looks to get in the box and keeps the ball moving. There are mistakes in him but I respect any Rovers player with effort. Like you rightly say Gav, we need to wee with the willie we've got. He's certainly proven to be better than Etuhu was.

Apkan makes mistakes but they're noticeable because he is involved in the play which many of others struggle tobdo.

No world beater but Imo the best we've got at the club and best we've had for a number of years. No flitty but by far and away the best of the current crop since we've been relegated.

Power, gets forward and stuck in, energy ) definitely offers enough for a place in the team regardless of current mistakes.

Brown seemed a bit more effective coming on and doing the job he did than Koita at Weepdale. Browns hold up play isn't too bad so it's handy to use him for cameos like that. They really need to beast him on the fitness side though and he needs to drop some timber if he's serious about playing a part here.

He had a shocker v Shrewsbury but most did so no point holding that against him because he was clearly nowhere near match fitness. We have a gaffer now who'll probably try and wring everything out of what he's got so if he doesn't shape up he'll be shipped out soon. He should only ever be playing second fiddle to a few decent strikers now though.

• Backroom

I'm not saying it's what I would do but I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown start ahead of Rhodes some games with Lawrence behind

For me Rhodes isn't the style of striker Lambert builds a team around but his phenomenal strike rate can't be ignored

Archived