BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute awful display by Sweden against Ireland for 60 minutes, the Irish goal brought some life to the team but the lack of tactical nous is there for everyone to see and won't get better until there's a new manager in place.

• Backroom

Fair play to the Italians. Written off as the worst team from Italy in 50 years, they've clearly turned that negativity into motivation and stuck two fingers up at their detractors tonight. Their team isn't even that bad, some good players in there. Funny how England and Italy were two of the most dour teams in WC2014, but both have produced excellent displays in their first games this time around. Just a shame we didn't win ours.

I don't think I've ever been impressed by Belgium in a competitive tournament match. If ever there was an example of individual talent being wasted by failing to work as a team, tonight was it. One side was a team, the other was not.

Amazing how Hazard has fallen from grace this season. He's a shadow of what he was last season.

Just for the record, Italy won their first world cup game as well in 2014; against England! And Italy did not advance out of the group.

1994 World Cup, Italy went to the finals against Brazil; but Italy lost their first match to Ireland.

http://eloratings.net/Italy.htm

I was for Belgium in some of those past World Cup where they had a good streak going to consecutive World Cups, 1986 making the semi-finals. So, they are kind of being heart breakers with these kinds of performances in the big tournaments.

Too DE, Belgium did have some good teams as recent as 2002; where Brazil narrowly and controversially defeated them.

• Moderation Lead

Fair play to the Italians. Written off as the worst team from Italy in 50 years, they've clearly turned that negativity into motivation and stuck two fingers up at their detractors tonight. Their team isn't even that bad, some good players in there. Funny how England and Italy were two of the most dour teams in WC2014, but both have produced excellent displays in their first games this time around. Just a shame we didn't win ours.

I don't think I've ever been impressed by Belgium in a competitive tournament match. If ever there was an example of individual talent being wasted by failing to work as a team, tonight was it. One side was a team, the other was not.

Amazing how Hazard has fallen from grace this season. He's a shadow of what he was last season.

Exactly right, DE. Belgium flatter to deceive on the big stage, rather like England.

As for Italy, even with their side tonight they didn't pick Insigne and Verratti is injured, so they do have strength in depth. I think they've a strong squad, their media give them as hard a team as we do the England team.

• Backroom

Too DE, Belgium did have some good teams as recent as 2002; where Brazil narrowly and controversially defeated them.

Yeah, I'm talking more about the so called "golden generation" of recent years. A lot of individual talent, but they've never really shown that they are ready to step up. I expect they will get out of that group, but I'd be surprised if they got much further. There just doesn't seem to be any real team spirit there.

As for Italy, even with their side tonight they didn't pick Insigne and Verratti is injured, so they do have strength in depth. I think they've a strong squad, their media give them as hard a team as we do the England team.

Yeah, the Italian media can be brutal. It seems they may have inadvertently (or purposefully?) fired up the team to prove them wrong.

Belgium remind me of England. A lot of decent PL players but not anyone who can really grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Sometimes 1 world class players makes all the difference. Great preformance from Italy though.

• Backroom

Did I hear the commentator correctly in the Italy game earlier - they haven't lost a qualifying game in 20 years? Amazing stat if true.

It was something like that. Says more about the utterly broken qualifying system than it does about Italy though, imo.

If he'd have got it spot on then we'd have won Gav. His substitutions or lack of cost us a win.

I disagree, best England performance in years, Roy got it bang on, just unlucky to concede so late and miss all those chances.

Spent the last several days in wet mud soaked field so coming late to the Euro 2016 party. My fiirst thoughts on seeing Belgium are (were) 'favourites to win' were;

"But they've got a the poor man's Heskey up front, nah".

Thursday is going to be interesting.

In the FA Cup if you have a well drilled better than average Championship side playing a top Premier League side going through a patch of unsettled selection and muddled tactics, most people are going to fancy the Championship team as a good outside bet.

Then add Gareth Bale to even things up a bit more...

As an Italian-Australian i can confirm on paper this is our worst side on paper in decades. Many Azzurri supporters were very negative about Conte's selections and feared the worst. But, as the old saying goes, you don't win games on paper.

2 Key factors for me was the catalyst for Italy's victory. 1. The Juve defense. Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini and Buffon play with each other week in, week out and know each others game inside out. Having that defense with Gigi at the back of them barking orders is a fantastic foundation to build from. 2. Conte's tactics. The man got his strategy spot on in my opinion.

Losing Verratti and Marchisio before the tournament was a big blow and people were even more distressed with Thiago Motta as one of the replacements.

It is true that this is only the first game and anything can happen in the next two against Ireland and Sweden but after that performance they have put their best foot forward and confidence is growing in the camp as well as supporters.

I disagree, best England performance in years, Roy got it bang on, just unlucky to concede so late and miss all those chances.

Jeez Gav, i'm not disagreeing that it wasnt a good performance, although i'd argue the Germany away performance against a much better side was better. What i'm saying is you have to give credit and critisim where its due. I'll hold my hand up, i wouldnt have picked that team but he did and they played well, credit to him BUT as a manager you have to surely see the blatant obviousnous of the one substitute that he failed to make... Instead we revert to type and give away a crap goal... For that he equally has to be critisised because it cost us and ultimately made a mockery of what was a good performance. After years and months of work to get here you only have 3 games guarentueed and every single decision counts and Roys decision making in the game was poor. PERFORMANCES dont get you out of the group stages. Let's hope its a valuable lesson learned and it doesn't cost us.

It is pretty clear from the footage of the Russian Sports Minister (and FIFA Exec member) rousing the hooligans inside the stadium and this article- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/far-right-activist-euro-2016-russian-fa-alexander-shprygin-nazi-salute?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

that the Russian hooliganism in France is Russian State-sponsored by the Kremlin.

Can't add more than what I've already said really.

Great performance and sets us up nicely for qualification from the group.

That was the easiest game in the group and we dropped two points. We have it all to do.

Let's hope Roy can do a 100% job and not a 90% one in the next two games.

Thats a pretty odd thing to say. Why with billions of investment and reciepts tied up with the world cup would the kremlin sponsor the hooligans?

I suggest a read of Times2 today as to why the politicians court and support the Russian Ultras. They use them to police demonstrations against the political elite.

The politics of Russia today are moving towards those of Hitler and Musselini of the past....it is frightening. I have been to Russia a few times and it is so obvious the place is run on the basis of fervent nationalism backed up by criminality and violence.

How good were "the worst Italian team in 50 years/ever" last night?

I wish England were that rubbish. Luckily for the Azzuri they are not hampered by some senile old coot in the dugout.

I didn't see Pelle taking corners.

That was the easiest game in the group and we dropped two points. We have it all to do.

Let's hope Roy can do a 100% job and not a 90% one in the next two games.

We'll win our next 2 games and get out of the group at a canter Stuart, stop worrying.

Archived