BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Howard Kendall

Tom

I was the original glory hunter - first attending at Ewood the year we got promoted from the old Third Division. He then took us to within goal difference of the First Division.

Always came across as a class act - and was absolutely gutted when he left for Everton. His record in his first stint at Everton was unbelievable - and I genuinely believe he is up there with the modern managerial greats.

A very sad loss - and far too young.

• Like 1

,A very sad day to hear of his passing .Kendall did a great job with little or no resources and he made us a really good team, after a very dodgy start.

What did he do to change things............he made us hard to beat

Arnold, Branagan, Keeley and Faz all improved immensely under his management.

That is something Bowyer has failed to do in all his time in charge.

I was really upset when I heard this news today, arguably our greatest ever manager given his astounding success relative to the scarcity of the resources he had to work with.

To get us promoted immediately then follow that up with another near miss on goal difference without any financial support from the Board was an astonishing achievement. And of course we saw how good he was when he went to Everton and achieved unprecedented success there.

Good comments about Gigg Lane. I was sat at the side and the stand behind the goal housing the Rovers fans was indeed shaking.

RIP Howard. Should be right up there towards the top of the list of Rovers legends.

• Like 1

I was really upset when I heard this news today, arguably our greatest ever manager given his astounding success relative to the scarcity of the resources he had to work with.

To get us promoted immediately then follow that up with another near miss on goal difference without any financial support from the Board was an astonishing achievement. And of course we saw how good he was when he went to Everton and achieved unprecedented success there.

Good comments about Gigg Lane. I was sat at the side and the stand behind the goal housing the Rovers fans was indeed shaking.

RIP Howard. Should be right up there towards the top of the list of Rovers legends.

And still a fantastic player when at Rovers

Listening to Jimmy Armfield on the radio this aft telling the tale of how Kendall got the job at Ewood. Apparently Derrick Keighley (think he was chairman at the time) rang Jimmy Armfield to try to get him as the new manager. He said he couldn't do it but recommended Keighley speak to Howard (was he playing for Stoke?).

• Like 1

Very sad news about Howard Kendall. The media are describing him as Everton's greatest ever manager, but he was definitely was one of ours too. It's difficult to put into words what he did - to some extent you had to have been there. After relegation in 1978-79, the club was at its lowest ebb in it's history - yes even lower than the more recent troubles! The club had been relegated from the old division 2 and it was a miracle that the money had been found to pay the players wages to get through the season. The shoestring that the club was run on was very thin........then Howard Kendall became manager and the 1979-80 season was a season of miracles. How did he manage to cobble a team together with so little money that performed so fantastically???? It was a season of dreams. Remember Andy Crawford scoring all those goals? Howard got the best out of him and the others. We were rewarded with promotion in 1980, and then lost out by the narrowest of goal difference in 1981 (on promotion to the old division 1).

I was gutted when he was poached by Everton, but to be fair to Howard he had already stuck by us and rejected other top flight clubs. It's a mystery to me why he never became the England Manager.

We need someone like Howard to manage us now, but he was a complete one off, and they just don't make them like Howard any more.

• Like 5

Very sad news. A wonderful player and manager for this club. Two superb seasons with us that will always be etched in my memory. That run of 14 wins and 1 draw from 15 games which took is from the relegation zone of the Third Division to the promotion will surely never be equalled again. Tragic that Howard should be lost to us at such a young age. One of the great midfield players of his era.

• Like 2

Sad news, he was before my time but it's a shame that these true Rovers' greats never make it back to Ewood to do the draw or say a few words at half time like they used to. Fine, little details that mean so much to fans that crave one last applause for those who gave us such fond memories.

• Like 1

Very sad news about Howard Kendall. The media are describing him as Everton's greatest ever manager, but he was definitely was one of ours too. It's difficult to put into words what he did - to some extent you had to have been there. After relegation in 1978-79, the club was at its lowest ebb in it's history - yes even lower than the more recent troubles! The club had been relegated from the old division 2 and it was a miracle that the money had been found to pay the players wages to get through the season. The shoestring that the club was run on was very thin........then Howard Kendall became manager and the 1979-80 season was a season of miracles. How did he manage to cobble a team together with so little money that performed so fantastically???? It was a season of dreams. Remember Andy Crawford scoring all those goals? Howard got the best out of him and the others. We were rewarded with promotion in 1980, and then lost out by the narrowest of goal difference in 1981 (on promotion to the old division 1).

I was gutted when he was poached by Everton, but to be fair to Howard he had already stuck by us and rejected other top flight clubs. It's a mystery to me why he never became the England Manager.

We need someone like Howard to manage us now, but he was a complete one off, and they just don't make them like Howard any more.

Great post. Before becoming a manager Howard was one of the best midfield players of his or any other generation forming part of the fabled Holy Trinity of Kendall, Ball and Harvey at Goodison. I think it's very unlikely that we'll see too many top players in future cut their teeth in management in the lower leagues and go on to great success, they're already financially secure and don't need the money or the hassle.

Going back to what another poster said about his appointment, thank goodness we ended up with the up and coming Kendall and not the rather staid Jimmy Armfield who whist a great player in a bygone era and a perfect gentleman never demonstrated much in the way of managerial ability imo.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

thank goodness we ended up with the up and coming Kendall and not the rather staid Jimmy Armfield who whist a great player in a bygone era and a perfect gentleman never demonstrated much in the way of managerial ability imo.

Think you're being a bit harsh on St James of Blackpool there Rev. Won the 3rd Div (as was, weren't we in it that season too?) when he managed Bolton and had Leeds in a European final when he managed them.

I remember being around 14 years old when Howard arrived at Ewood as a rookie player manager. I don't think I had ever even heard the term player manger back then. The first game I recall him managing and playing in, was a home game in the League cup first round against Bury. He scored an absolute screamer from about 40 yards and became an instant fans favourite.

I also remember him bringing in Jim Arnold from None League Stafford Rangers, who proved to be a real astute signing and followed Howard to Everton. I think Mick Heaton also went to Everton, if my memory serves me correctly. The other think I recall is Crystal Palace trying to poach him and he turned them down. A banner saying thanks for staying Howard was unfurled at the next home game.

As you would expect, he left for Everton when theY approached us for his services, where he went on to become their best ever manager. I will never forget him turning Rovers fortunes around though and was certainly up there with the best we have had at Ewood.

RIP Howard you will never be forgotten by BRFC.

• Like 1

The FA Cup run beating Coventry and then taking the future European Champs Villa to a reply, yes great days indeed.

I'd forgotten that those games were during Howard Kendall's time, GAV. I remember Rovers beating First division Coventry making the national TV news bulletins. That was remarkable back then.

And the last minute equaliser at home to Villa that took the match to a reply. Brilliant atmosphere at Ewood that day. Almost 30,000 on the ground and nearly another scalp for Howard's collection. Didn't we take about 8-10,000 to Villa for the reply a few dahs later or is my mind playing tricks? Didn't we also play Forest in the League Cup during Kendall's time? Lost by the odd goal though they were reigning European Champions?

It's a long time ago and my facts might be a bit awry but I do remember Kendall's Rovers were a decent cup team as well as solid in the league for those two years.

Took thousands to Villa, we took similar numbers in the late 80's when Kennedy scored early doors, and yes 30k on Ewood for the first game, was it Allan Evans that equalized?

Seem to recall we played Forest under Saxton, took them to replay also I think.

Still great times under Howard, a true Rovers legend.

Yes. It was Evans who squeezed it in from a corner, I think. I was in the Riverside that day. Oh, the heartache.

I was in the Riverside when Atkins put through his home net against Liverpool late 80's, so we share similar heartache pal :(