BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Howard Kendall

Tom

• Backroom

Saddened to hear Howard has passed away aged 69.

I'm too young to have seen his time here but I know people look back with great memories.

Edited by Tom M

Very sad news.

Saw him make his debut for PNE all those years ago. Brilliant footballer and very underrated by many. Even at the end of his footballing days he was a class act. kendall was respected by just about everyone he played with or managed.

Good guy.

• Like 1

Very sad news. As a child Howard was my next door neighbour (literally) in Wilpshire and I went to school with his son. My father baptised one of his kids at Wilpshire Methodist Church. I remember him as being an extremely friendly guy, with absolutely no airs and graces whatsoever. My thoughts are with his family.

• Like 1

Great is an often over used word in connection with football folk but certainly not in Howard's case. He was a truly great Rovers manager who did a magnificent job on a shoestring budget. What he achieved in two years with Rovers was nothing short of remarkable.

Those who used the Bulls Head, Wilpshire back in Howard's days at Rovers will recall seeing Howard there on a number of occasions and that's where a big Rovers' party ended up after clinching promotion at Bury on that not to be forgotten night. An amiable bloke always willing to have a word.

RIP.

I hope Howard Kendall gets the recognition from the club that his achievements truly deserves. But for those two seasons of his we would have ended up like the other Lancashire clubs. Nothing will ever beat that night at Bury. And I include Anfield 95 which was comparable but didn't beat it because how can anything beat total and utter jubilation? I remember vividly their wooden stand bouncing to the tune of 'one man went to mow' ... with our 'five minutes to go and then we're in the second' chant ... by the time it got to 'one minute to go' - man it was absolutely out of this world. Even when we win the champions league in 2030 it won't top that. Nothing can beat 100%.

The scenes around Gigg Lane after that match was my Fever Pitch moment. I was the ten yr old kid in the film simply awestruck by the excitement, passions and camaraderie I was witnessing. Stuck in the huge traffic jam hypnotised by this middle aged Rovers fan pouring plastic cups of beer from a keg he was carrying and dishing them out to all and sundry, folk getting out of their cars and hugging him, people on top of bus shelters...

That season's 15 match unbeaten run (14 wins) and basically the whole of the next season was something else. Two years earlier we were going down the pan with the rest of them. He gave us so much. His involvement with Junior Rovers and the local community speaks volumes for the man.

His name deserves to be preserved as a Rovers Legend. May he rest in peace.

• Like 8

Very sad news. Howard Kendall was a man with honour who gave the club back some respectability. The promotion season when we came back up from the old third division was probably one of my favourite seasons ever. Duncan McKenzie, Andy Crawford, Micky Sleight...and Howard played himself and was still class. Chesterfield away on the train and of course, Gigg Lane. Happy days.

Thoughts with Howard's family RIP

Gigg Lane- the whole stand was bouncing (literally). Remember looking up at the flex strung between the floodlight pylon and the stand roof and it was whipping around like a skipping rope.

Even though we saw him at the twilight of his playing career, Kendall was the class act on the field at a time when we and other lower division sides fielded several high quality players (Garner and Brotherston in their pomp).

The way we kicked on after promotion and came so close to two promotions running was a fantastic credit to Kendall's motivational and organisational ability.

Yes truly a great.

• Like 1

Like a few others it was just before my time of starting going to Ewood but I was always aware of his time there. Remember as a kid reading the promotion brochure and seeing reports of that great run and some photos of the Bury game and being gutted I'd just missed out on it. Real legendary stuff and a massive achievement.

RIP

• Like 1