BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After sleeping on it I would love for Lambert to come. I wouldn't be unhappy if Moyes came but he doesn't play atractive football and his transfer market record leaves a lot to be desired.

Lambert has a lot to prove after the mess that is Villa threw his career off track.

Someone on twitter was talking about his poor win percentage. Were they comparing him to Mourinho and Ferguson!?!? To put it into perspective...

Paul Lambert - Wycombe 41%

Colchester 44%

Norwich 49%

Vila 30%

Sam Alardyce - Notts County 39%

Bolton 41%

Newcastle 33%

Rovers 35%

West Ham 38%

Mark Hughes - Rovers 44%

Man City 47%

Fulham 33%

QPR 24%

Stoke 39%

David Moyes - PNE 48%

Everton 42%

Man Utd 53%

Sociedad 29%

Obviously there are a lot of factors involved there but I'm just responding to unfair criticism of Lambert.

Everyone is a gamble but it could be a good fit. If Venkys choose one of these candidates then we can't realy argue it's a good decision. They do seem to be learning from past mistakes and did give Bowyer a fair amount of time.

After sleeping on it I would love for Lambert to come. I wouldn't be unhappy if Moyes came but he doesn't play atractive football and his transfer market record leaves a lot to be desired. Lambert has a lot to prove after the mess that is Villa threw his career off track. Someone on twitter was talking about his poor win percentage. Were they comparing him to Mourinho and Ferguson!?!? To put it into perspective... Paul Lambert - Wycombe 41% Colchester 44% Norwich 49% Vila 30% Sam Alardyce - Notts County 39% Bolton 41% Newcastle 33% Rovers 35% West Ham 38% Mark Hughes - Rovers 44% Man City 47% Fulham 33% QPR 24% Stoke 39% David Moyes - PNE 48% Everton 42% Man Utd 53% Sociedad 29% Obviously there are a lot of factors involved there but I'm just responding to unfair criticism of Lambert. Everyone is a gamble but it could be a good fit. If Venkys choose one of these candidates then we can't realy argue it's a good decision. They do seem to be learning from past mistakes and did give Bowyer a fair amount of time.

Apologies for the lack of formatting there. It wasn't intentional.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if our football experts in Pune had decided that they believed the British management structure was not working for their baby and had lined up that Ali chap and a couple of his mates.

A dingle colleague at work hopes this is true anyway.

I personally would go for Moyes.

I really don't understand this point about 40 goals, like its some sort of guarantee to go up.

You could say that we had two strikers who couldn't play together and assisted each other once. That we had one striker who can't run the channels or hold the ball up.

They are as big an impact on the team.

Forget going up. Think "challenge for a top 6 spot". We couldn't even do that with 40+ goals from our two up top.

On paper, Lambert looks the standout choice if he can be tempted. Success at 3 clubs shows he's not a one trick pony like Holloway for example.

Lambert would turn us into promotion candidates and would get us promoted within 2-3 seasons. He's a top, top manager.

He took Norwich from lge 1 to prem on zero budget. He also did wonders at Colchester before that on zero budget. He didn't do too badly at Villa, he kept them up year after year. They're heading for the championship now he's gone.

After Kean, Berg, Appleton and Bowyer we finally look like getting a top manager in, our first since Big Sam.

For the first time, I think we stand a good chance of getting out of this league in the next couple of years.

After sleeping on it I would love for Lambert to come. I wouldn't be unhappy if Moyes came but he doesn't play atractive football and his transfer market record leaves a lot to be desired. Lambert has a lot to prove after the mess that is Villa threw his career off track. Someone on twitter was talking about his poor win percentage. Were they comparing him to Mourinho and Ferguson!?!? To put it into perspective... Paul Lambert - Wycombe 41% Colchester 44% Norwich 49% Vila 30% Sam Alardyce - Notts County 39% Bolton 41% Newcastle 33% Rovers 35% West Ham 38% Mark Hughes - Rovers 44% Man City 47% Fulham 33% QPR 24% Stoke 39% David Moyes - PNE 48% Everton 42% Man Utd 53% Sociedad 29% Obviously there are a lot of factors involved there but I'm just responding to unfair criticism of Lambert. Everyone is a gamble but it could be a good fit. If Venkys choose one of these candidates then we can't realy argue it's a good decision. They do seem to be learning from past mistakes and did give Bowyer a fair amount of time.

Huh, if you think about it, that means that Gary Bowyer's 35% win percentage at Blackburn Rovers isn't as bad as most make it out to be.

• Backroom

We will see what happens but the calibre of manager we are linked to initially is very encouraging especially when you consider the sustained argument for keeping him was we couldn't attract a replacement.

Still let's see who we actually appoint

Lest we forget!! A cautionary note!!

BRFC IS EMBARGOED!! No transfers in for fees. No freebies with wages in excess of £10K. No loans with fees.

I don't want to rain on the parade of excitement exhibited here but don't our MVPs have to be sold to get us out of embargo and then for how long if the next regime is allowed to expansively recruit beyond the FFP limits.

It's not an exactly attractive proposition for a big hitter.

The Q & A on the new manager's first press conference will be interesting.

Huh, if you think about it, that means that Gary Bowyer's 35% win percentage at Blackburn Rovers isn't as bad as most make it out to be.

That's why we shouldn't judge on win percentages. Gary Bowyer had 2 hot shot strikers at his disposal. He drew to many games. Should have won more. Those other managers have better win percentages with nowhere near as deadly strike forces.

I really don't understand this point about 40 goals, like its some sort of guarantee to go up.

You could say that we had two strikers who couldn't play together and assisted each other once. That we had one striker who can't run the channels or hold the ball up.

They are as big an impact on the team.

Rhodes created space for Gestede and vice-versa. When you have the second top goal scoring strike force and don't even tickle those in a play-off place, it's a sign that something's wrong.

Rhodes created space for Gestede and vice-versa. When you have the second top goal scoring strike force and don't even tickle those in a play-off place, it's a sign that something's wrong.

It seemed at times their goals rescued us a lot of the time, in spite of crappy performances. This season has been the same with 50% less rescuing :lol:

I just hope we have someone that can organise our defence, can learn from their mistakes(so doesn't make the same one nearly every game), has a plan B when needed and gets the players motivated for a full 90 minutes.

Maybe we could do with someone that might throw a few teacups? This last few years have left me so detached from the game that I'm completely un clued up as to who is a good option and out there TBH. I've heard Lambert mentioned and he did great things at Norwich in this league not that long ago. Seems way too sensible however! I didn't read anything yesterday, so don't know who has been linked yet etc.

Oh how I'd love a repeat of the Souey promotion season, coming in roughing up a few feathers and then turning everything around. Though we had a cracking team, a little money to spend(when our willy was up to it) and a fantastic chairman, so things are quite different now.

Are people expecting an announcement today then seeing as though things seem to be in place already?

I don't have an intimate knowledge of how football contracts work, but it sounds like initial terms have been agreed (think Nixon called the terms "lucrative... with a massive bonus for promotion) so it's probably with solicitors now. In my industry, that can take anything from 5 days to 5 weeks, but you'd think whoever it is will want as much time with the squad as possible. Fingers crossed that it's tied up before the weekend.

I don't have an intimate knowledge of how football contracts work, but it sounds like initial terms have been agreed (think Nixon called the terms "lucrative... with a massive bonus for promotion) so it's probably with solicitors now. In my industry, that can take anything from 5 days to 5 weeks, but you'd think whoever it is will want as much time with the squad as possible. Fingers crossed that it's tied up before the weekend.

Its all pointing to Lambert but with Venky's we're always one decision from the circus big top clown acts

That's why we shouldn't judge on win percentages. Gary Bowyer had 2 hot shot strikers at his disposal. He drew to many games. Should have won more. Those other managers have better win percentages with nowhere near as deadly strike forces.

Mark Hughes had Craig Bellamy, Benni McCarthy, Roque Santa Cruz, etc. I don't think it's fair to say he had a better win percentage with a less deadly strike force.

I did get disillusioned with Gary Bowyer, don't get me wrong (3 wins in 17 will do that), but I do think people are vilifying him a little and making quite the unfair comparisons. I suspect even if we get Paul Lambert and he fails to bring us up next year or so, there will be a mob calling for his head.

Lest we forget!! A cautionary note!!

BRFC IS EMBARGOED!! No transfers in for fees. No freebies with wages in excess of £10K. No loans with fees.

I don't want to rain on the parade of excitement exhibited here but don't our MVPs have to be sold to get us out of embargo and then for how long if the next regime is allowed to expansively recruit beyond the FFP limits.

It's not an exactly attractive proposition for a big hitter.

The Q & A on the new manager's first press conference will be interesting.

The only possible chink of light in the spiral of horror of recent years is this; surely no manager of any calibre would come without investment assurances. It is just possible Venkys might gamble on bringing the club out of FFP for about £5m and then hoping that a £20m investment might bring the £200m bonanza that is the premier league. Probably not. Another no hoper with a Don Mackay size budget is the likeliest, but Lambert plus a transfer kitty is the only faint star on the horizon.

Happy to see Bowyer go, a good first 18 months but the rest a massive disappointment.

Good to see Lambert is top runner, bookies don't make someone a clear favourite like that without knowing they are interested in the job.

Now its up to Venkys... Lambert is clearly interested, has experience and promotions on his CV. But this is Venkys.

What all of this has proved is absolutely nobody can predict what Venkys will do.

Are people expecting an announcement today then seeing as though things seem to be in place already?

Considering we have sacked the entire staff if we don't have someone in by Friday I will be wondering if Venkys have pulled off another ridiculous fumble.

I'm expecting an announcement Friday latest.

Archived