BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

When he 1St hit the scene thought he'd be half decent but tbh he's gone backwards but he won't be the only one sold highly likely those commanding the biggest fee will be

Just read on the daily record website

Mark Warburton wants his business complete by the end of June

We can only dream of that

First couple of times I saw Henley play I thought we had one for the future. He was raw but seemed to have the makings. He was really quick then and seemed a confident sort of kid. Correct me if I'm wrong but several top sides were watching him then.

It's been downhill all the way since then. The bottom has fallen out of his game. He needs at the very least to be loaned out for a good while to a lower level club to see if he can regain his early promise.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First couple of times I saw Henley play I thought we had one for the future. He was raw but seemed to have the makings. He was really quick then and seemed a confident sort of kid. Correct me if I'm wrong but several top sides were watching him then.

It's been downhill all the way since then. The bottom has fallen out of his game. He needs at the very least to be loaned out for a good while to a lower level club to see if he can regain his early promise.

There was a spell under our fabulous youth coach come manager that he did really well then he was hoicked out of the team and Kane was put in. I remember ranting about it at the time and that pattern continued under good old give everyone a game Gaz, it really didn't do him any favours because he was flying then.

Then of course we ended up with Lowey being put there ahead of him then Marshall. His form has been erratic but he did have a couple of good spells and was chucked out for other reasons. However I don't think he's got the character to deal with all that so yeah a fresh start or a season long loan lower down the leagues. For me if he really toughened up and got games somewhere week in week out he may still have something.

Not sure it'll be at this level but we might get a fee from someone if he's there on loan.

Henley was on about 5k pwk before he signed a new deal so he's probably still on similar. Could we find a better prospect or contributor for that ? I'd say so as I don't ever think he's going to cut the mustard at this level consistently.

He could be good back up in the hope he'll be a later bloomer but his head seems to have gone down now and he's been no good at that. Another example of mamby pamby academy stuff who's been softened by money and the pro footballer lifestyle before he's earned it properly, he's not alone. A season or two of Sunday morning or non league at a young age would have done this lad a world of good.

How long do you give him though? I would be surprised if he wasn't on at least £10k per week.

How long do you give him though? I would be surprised if he wasn't on at least £10k per week.

I'd certainly move him out now one way or another but I'd prefer the loan option. Like I said there might be a chance of a fee then at the end of that as we don't want to be giving him away or paying him off. Get his wages off for a while or some of them at least and put that to better use with a loan in.

Personally, I'm a fan of throwing youngsters in at the deep end. Within reason, of course. If you're getting hammered against top-class opposition, it's probably not the best time to hand a kid his debut. But generally speaking, if they're good enough, they're old enough. Look at some of our best youngsters in recent history (Dunn, Duff, Jones). I don't remember any of them serving apprenticeships in the lower leagues before they became Rovers regulars.

That's the 'if your good enough your old enough' adage and it's been true of the names mentioned. The likes of Lowe and Henley, Hanley were fast tracked by Kean to try and justify what they were up to, cashing in on players and replacing with youth. Non were ready and only Hanley swam against the tide mainly because of his size and attitude but technically he wasn't ready.

For me all those players would be better now if they been handled the correct way, Hanley has only become consistent now this season really and he's been a first teamer for 5/6 years. His development has been costly to us in many games in the past as have the others. Certain guys like Jones, Duff etc you take one look at in the youth ranks and you just know they'll do it but others who are never going to be more than workmanlike need the proper development IMO.

If your happy to hang around in league 1 or lower champ then you can half fill your team with them and just become a development club. That was Bowyer & co's approach and some on here were more than happy with that. Otherwise I'm big on getting them out on lengthy loans lower down to earn their corn and gain valuable experience, learn to take the hard knocks week in and week out and not just think they are made for life after a couple of appearances for a club like Rovers.

Though Henley has been found wanting - at one time he did look an excellent prospect. For this reason alone I was surprised that Killgallon got the nod at left back - we learn nothing with him at left back, other than he is a good defender but only (at best) cover for left back. Personally i would have played Henley - it would have given the team more pace down the flanks - and seen what he could do. I don't know where it went wrong for Henley - but can't help feel he is worth one last chance to rediscover his form.

I see Henley as a total liability now. Always caught wanting and out of position and looks like a rabbit staring down a barrel when aproaching the opposition's box. Like Brown, I can't believe he's stealing a living as a footballer - he's that bad now, Miles Anderson is probably better.

Personally, I'm a fan of throwing youngsters in at the deep end. Within reason, of course. If you're getting hammered against top-class opposition, it's probably not the best time to hand a kid his debut. But generally speaking, if they're good enough, they're old enough. Look at some of our best youngsters in recent history (Dunn, Duff, Jones). I don't remember any of them serving apprenticeships in the lower leagues before they became Rovers regulars.

Jay McEveley was brilliant as a 17 year old. I think he debuted against Man Utd and was awesome and assured. Fergie never waited for players to become a certain age. When they were good enough, they were picked and that would be my philosophy.

I see Henley as a total liability now. Always caught wanting and out of position and looks like a rabbit staring down a barrel when aproaching the opposition's box. Like Brown, I can't believe he's stealing a living as a footballer - he's that bad now, Miles Anderson is probably better.

Jay McEveley was brilliant as a 17 year old. I think he debuted against Man Utd and was awesome and assured. Fergie never waited for players to become a certain age. When they were good enough, they were picked and that would be my philosophy.

McEveley lacked the pace to be a really top class fullback. If you're not quick at 17 you're never going to be quick. The later injuries he had slowed him down even more.

He looked the real deal in his early days, think it was on his debut that he smacked the crossbar? I remember one of the rags running a feature on the England team in 10 years time or something and McEveley was the LB! Still, he accepted a loan to Burnley and swapped England for Scotland so he's not worthy of talking about. Ignore my opening sentence.

Lewis Mansel has scored like 23 goals this season.. I think he should partner graham for a game or maybe the last two.. Seems a lad with big potential always scoring nowadays

Definitely needs to be on the bench ahead of Jackson and Brown. We'll have 0 senior strikers on our books come July so need to see if the lad could potentially make the step up.

On the youngsters, it's not like we're asking them to be played in the Champions league or anything is it. if they are good enough to have a future they are better getting the experience here rather than being loaned to the lower leagues because the standard from where we are now isn't much different really.

Alan Irvine in deep discussions with David Moyes this afternoon. Could he be the first out of the building and off to Celtic?

Where was this?

Could be. Talking to someone who works at ewood today on the nonfootball side and he thinks Lambert's off in the summer. Not an itk,just a feeling around the place

Some alot of people at the club seems to be thinking the same. Alot of speculation about his going

Still trying to remember who destroyed him, but I am sure he had a good run then was put up against a decent but not star winger who murdered him in that match..after that his confidence just plummeted like a stone and bar one short spell later on he has never been the same... god I wish I could remember who did him that match because that was his breaking point imo. To me Henley is a confidence player.. who can't handle the pressure.

Alan Irvine in deep discussions with David Moyes this afternoon. Could he be the first out of the building and off to Celtic?

Moyes hanging around Northcote or Stanley House again ? Is he on freebies or something, I wish he'd get a job and fook off somewhere. I bet he slags Rovers off left right and centre.

Still trying to remember who destroyed him, but I am sure he had a good run then was put up against a decent but not star winger who murdered him in that match..after that his confidence just plummeted like a stone and bar one short spell later on he has never been the same... god I wish I could remember who did him that match because that was his breaking point imo. To me Henley is a confidence player.. who can't handle the pressure.

He got played left back away at Wolves last season whilst midfielder Lowe got played at right back. Both tried their best but got torn new ones, I think Lowe went off injured if I recall correctly yet Henley stayed at LB. Horses for courses for me especially when it's younger players still learning their craft, that kind of thing really boiled my blood about the previous coaches.

Played out of his skin v Liverpool but that was raw pace v raw pace. He can't handle the physical stuff in this league.

Archived