BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

I believe from Alan Nixon comments that Rob Kelly will be 1st team coach.

I'm sure Lambert will look at the under21's/Academy side of the club at some point

I certainly hope so chaddy.

The fact that Bowyer's best man got that job stunk to high heaven at the time.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been suggested that Shaw had no say in this appointment. It makes you wonder what he actually does. Perhaps if they got shut of him and appointed somebody who the fans would appreciate, things will start to look even rosier.

I'm absolutely over the moon with getting Lambert. I feel he's got a real job on his hands, though. A win at Preston would be nice.

If the stories about the Indians 'plant' at Ewood are true it sounds like this man has something about him.

Yoda - would have agreed 5 years ago. Look at it from an outsiders perspective though. Embargo, useless management, no structure, un-interested owners, poor squad, nothing but bad publicity for 5 years...... they must have had a selling point. Dying to find out what it is. Unfortunately I am so scunnered by what the Vs have done to this club that I can't gee too excited without more clarity on what is going on.

Looking forward to Saturday though.

Yoda - would have agreed 5 years ago. Look at it from an outsiders perspective though. Embargo, useless management, no structure, un-interested owners, poor squad, nothing but bad publicity for 5 years...... they must have had a selling point. Dying to find out what it is. Unfortunately I am so scunnered by what the Vs have done to this club that I can't gee too excited without more clarity on what is going on.

All that matters is on the pitch. Get that right and other things can fall into place.

When rovers had their most successful years in the early-mid 90's, the much disliked rob coar was CEO. Never affected our success one bit.

I would imagine that one of Lamberts first jobs is to establish or revamp a new scouting department. I would have thought that Boywer Senior will have left with his son and Lambert will want to use his own contacts of which there must be many.

Well we have Tommy Johnson as Chief scout/head of scouting. believe we have around 5 or 6 scouts at the club.

But I wouldn't be surprise if we bring in scouts and he might bring in a German Scout

• Backroom

Brilliant appointments in Lambert and Irvine. Superb. Envious would be the apt adjective to describe me right now.

Surprised that Blackburn were able to attract him, thought with the Venky's and all that ye were in dire straits.

Start of an upward turn for Rovers hopefully.

Cheers pal. Seems like Fulham didn't have anybody lined up after sacking Symons, hope for your sake the rumours of Curbishley taking the job on full time aren't true. Was a good manager in his day, but his day was about ten years ago.

"Poor squad" is a bit harsh imo. We've got a decent enough Championship team, we're just thin on the ground in a few positions. Get in a back up striker, a new right back to compete with Henley and I think we're looking good.

A swift appointment, with solid support team.

This is the type of appointment which we should of made 5 years ago.

He is inheriting a poor squad so must be given time to put his own stamp on it.

Im not expecting miracles this season but looking around social media it appears to have got the thumbs up from many.

Looking forward to North End match and also looking forward to his first home game after I took the decision a couple of weeks ago for our company to ball sponsor. Nice timing :-)

Well we have Tommy Johnson as Chief scout/head of scouting. believe we have around 5 or 6 scouts at the club.

But I wouldn't be surprise if we bring in scouts and he might bring in a German Scout

Lambert is well connected in Germany and Scotland. Being out of the game for a period of time can certainly be advantageous if that time is put to good use. It appears that Lambert has done just that. Irvine and Kelly in particular know the Championship well and will be invaluable.

I was just mulling over some seminal moments in my Rovers supporting life when an appointment or new signing has generated so much excitement and in reality I can only think of two. Signing Steve Archibald was one and appointing Kenny Dalglish was the other. I distinctly recall crowds increasing greatly overnight and fever pitch excitement amongst the fans. I just feel that this appointment could do the same.

We'll take more care of you, Archibald!!! Amazing signing at the time (along with Ardiles, though we didn't see much of him thanks to Nicky Marker). Also, I had a lump in my throat when Kenny was introduced at Ewood, even more so than when we actually won things.

Yep, sound appointment. Mate I play 5-a-side with is Villa fan, and not impressed, but they were as a poisoned chalice. I like the comments about us as a club, and has pedigree. I hope the embargo can be sorted and a chance for Lambert to do some deals in Jan. My ST seems justified at last. Bring it on Paul!

Im not expecting miracles this season but looking around social media it appears to have got the thumbs up from many.

Looking forward to North End match and also looking forward to his first home game after I took the decision a couple of weeks ago for our company to ball sponsor. Nice timing :-)

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

This season will probably end up being one of consolidation. This is very much Bowyer's side and the new manager will need at least until pre-season to make his mark, at which point I hope we're out of the bloody embargo.

• Backroom

5 years ago we simply should never have sacked our manager at all. For me this is the type of appointment we should have made either when Kean left or when Berg/Appleton was sacked. At no point then were we under an embargo, and the right manager could easily have had us competing for the playoff spots within a year.

As it stands now Lambert has a much tougher task on his hands, but better late than never. This really was Venky's last chance to put us back onto the right path, and I have to admit I'm stunned that they finally appear to have made a good decision regarding the club. I was sure we were destined to continue our slide into oblivion under Bowyer. Never been more glad to be wrong.

If the stories about the Indians 'plant' at Ewood are true it sounds like this man has something about him.

I agree. Whoever he is, there is no doubt in my mind that the Venkys must pay a certain amount of attention to the man.

To get a manager and back room staff of the calibre that have come on board, are just what this club of ours should always have aspired to. We are a long standing, top club with a history to match any.

May we presume that if the said advisor has indeed got anything about him, he has identified the wastrel that is masquerading as a shelf salesman. Maybe given Alan Irvine's past history with shelfie, Paul Lambert may have inserted such a removal clause in the contract. One can only hope.

Great appointments. See you all at Dopedale. There's going to be a party.

5 years ago we simply should never have sacked our manager at all. For me this is the type of appointment we should have made either when Kean left or when Berg/Appleton was sacked. At no point then were we under an embargo, and the right manager could easily have had us competing for the playoff spots within a year.

As it stands now Lambert has a much tougher task on his hands, but better late than never. This really was Venky's last chance to put us back onto the right path, and I have to admit I'm stunned that they finally appear to have made a good decision regarding the club. I was sure we were destined to continue our slide into oblivion under Bowyer. Never been more glad to be wrong.

One word of warning. Lambert has to arrest bowyers slide now. Anyone expecting us to power up the league now only need look at Bolton under the highly rated Neil Lennon. Consolidation will do for this season IMO, its a massive ask for anything more.

• Backroom

One word of warning. Lambert has to arrest bowyers slide now. Anyone expecting us to power up the league now only need look at Bolton under the highly rated Neil Lennon. Consolidation will do for this season IMO, its a massive ask for anything more.

Agree completely. I'd be happy with a mid table finish this season and some improved displays. Hopefully we're either out of the embargo in January or the summer, and can really push on from there.

Crucially... Neil Lennon managed in a tin pot worthless league with resources far ahead of every other team. Lambert has SUCCESSFULLY managed in the football leagues which makes him by far a safer appointment than ginge.

• Backroom

Meltdown on DingleMad ...Realisation kicking in :lol:

http://boards.footymad.net/clarets-mad/2109701039/?pg=1#wsdxfIWZzUYTaLA0.97

"Didn't we try to sign him at some stage?"

More than try - he'd accepted the job and then gave back word. Was when we eventually replaced Laws with Howe. It looked so certain, Norwich had already interviewed Malky Mackay for his job.

I like him even more now.

Fantastic appointment. Did great jobs at Wycombe and Colchester and an unbelievable job at Norwich. Struggled with Villa but then Hughesy and Big Sam have shown they're not cut out for the PL sleeping giant roles and we'd have those 2 back in a flash.

He probably doesn't win any popularity contests in terms of being a bit dull or whatever, and I know some fans seem to care about that these days. But personally I don't care about all that one bit, as far as I'm concerned they could stick a giant calculator in the dug out and I'd be chuffed to bits if it had a decent win ratio. Its about time the former players, nice guys and suck-ups were dispensed with and we went back to hiring proper football managers.

Couldn't be more chuffed and can't wait for Preston!

Crucially... Neil Lennon managed in a tin pot worthless league with resources far ahead of every other team. Lambert has SUCCESSFULLY managed in the football leagues which makes him by far a safer appointment than ginge.

You mean that tinpot worthless champions league where(I think) he once masterminded a win over that paupers club Barcelona..

Archived