BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Moderation Lead

Marshall on his day can be brilliant, but how many good days does he have? Same goes for Conway.

Brighton won't finish in the playoffs I'd wager.

Anyway I'm glad they made a change, it was about time, let's give Lambert time and hope he can pull a few rabbits out of hats.

If Lambert gets him playing consistently then it could improve the team hugely, the same goes for a lot of players. I think we'll see a lot more from Marshall under Lambert, the article in the LT as well would also indicate Lambert has identified him as one of our flair players.

I'd suggest Conway is always one of our best players and always puts a shift in, I'll be honest, I've only seen him not at his best on a couple of occasions this season. (I've been to every home game, Saturday is my first away).

Hard work, determination and commitment are the main tools to go far in this league, sprinkle a bit of guile on top and you're laughing.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again, comparing us with teams at the top of the league, its a really really poor argument in my opinion.

Most people that go week in week out can see that some of our players are cr@p, if they're cr@p they're cr@p, no getting away from that regardless of the manager.

Changing systems can turn a cr@p player into an average player that can do a job, but it can't help 3/4, and thats where we're at for me.

But we'll see what Lambert does.

I disagree gav. I have contended for the last 2 years that we have a decent team (assembled by bowyer admittedly), but we just need a good manager to get the best out of them. I think we could have a really good team if we brought in a good right back (Henley is a liability in my opinion) and keep Guthrie / Koita fit.

You imply that everybody you speak to thinks the team is cr@p. The general consensus amongst the rovers supporting folk in my life is that on paper we have a good team for this league.

On paper our team looked better than burnley when we played them. How many of burnley's starting 11 would you put in our starting 11? Heaton probably given his England credentials? Joey Barton (based on ability)? Andre Gray? After that I'm struggling.

Anyway I suppose we will find out if the players are as good as I believe them to be, or if indeed they are cr@p, given a good manager is now in charge.

If Lambert gets him playing consistently then it could improve the team hugely, the same goes for a lot of players. I think we'll see a lot more from Marshall under Lambert, the article in the LT as well would also indicate Lambert has identified him as one of our flair players.

I'd suggest Conway is always one of our best players and always puts a shift in, I'll be honest, I've only seen him not at his best on a couple of occasions this season. (I've been to every home game, Saturday is my first away).

Hard work, determination and commitment are the main tools to go far in this league, sprinkle a bit of guile on top and you're laughing.

You could well be right K-Hod, I really hope you are and this squad fires us back to the Premiership, but I just can't see it.

You going tomorrow?

I disagree gav. I have contended for the last 2 years that we have a decent team (assembled by bowyer admittedly), but we just need a good manager to get the best out of them. I think we could have a really good team if we brought in a good right back (Henley is a liability in my opinion) and keep Guthrie / Koita fit.

You imply that everybody you speak to thinks the team is cr@p. The general consensus amongst the rovers supporting folk in my life is that on paper we have a good team for this league.

On paper our team looked better than burnley when we played them. How many of burnley's starting 11 would you put in our starting 11? Heaton probably given his England credentials? Joey Barton (based on ability)? Andre Gray? After that I'm struggling.

Anyway I suppose we will find out if the players are as good as I believe them to be, or if indeed they are cr@p, given a good manager is now in charge.

I think the claim that the players are better than they actually are was a stick to beat Bowyer with for many, not aimed at you David.

My mates have mixed views on the quality in the squad, but nobody believes they're good enough to get us promoted and that's where we need to be.

I refuse to do the Burnley question 😉 But as you say we'll see what transpires now we have an actual manager in charge.

You tend to get what you pay for in football, not necessarily in terms of transfer fees but most of the time in terms of wage bill. Our wage bill has shrunk every season we've been in the division, so stands to reason the quality of our squad has also got continually worse. Its not the easiest thing to do rating players in comparison to the rest of the league but looking at their careers objectively, out of the regular side this season:

Steele: Played for a big Championship club since the age of 20, should be getting better - top half

Henley: Has always struggled to hold down a first team place - bottom half

Hanley: PL experience and 19 caps for Scotland - top 6

Duffy: At poor teams before us, unlike Hanley can't get in his national side - mid-table

Olsson: About half a league worse than his brother - top half

Marshall: Made the play-offs with Leicester previously - top half

Akpan: Struggled to get into a poor Reading side last season - bottom half

Evans: Promoted with Hull, 31 caps - top half

Conway: Title winner with Cardiff, possibly past his best at 30 - top 6

Lawrence: No experience but very young, in the Wales side at 21 - mid-table

Rhodes: Prolific in the division - top 2

I'd say that averages out at about top half. With Gestede we should have made the play-offs last season, this season I think Bowyer would have had us about mid-table. So if Lambert manages the top half this season and the play-offs next he'll have done well. If he manages the play-offs this season he'll become a hero!

Come on TJ, it's a bit tedious and old hat questioning if supporters go week in week out.

GAV is as true a Rover as you are likely to find anywhere

I wasnt questioning "supporters" i was questioning a specific comment gav made that would be pretty contradictory if he himself doesnt attend "week in , week out"

I wasnt questioning "supporters" i was questioning a specific comment gav made that would be pretty contradictory if he himself doesnt attend "week in , week out"

Just in from the interweb thingy

"TJ chatting shut again .... Tell him abbey sez he don't go to games so what's his point ha"

Some people see an average team in their rightful position in an average league. I have always disagreed with that.

For the best part of Bowyer's reign I saw good players (bar a couple) unfit or lathargic, disorganised, out of position and overly acceptant of defeat. Tactics that simply didn't make the best of what we had and team choices that at times, weren't ability based. Very easy to fall out of love with that.

Currently, I strongly believe we are a top half team who have sleepwalked through a third of a season (and the two previous). Wasteful, but if we've ultimately landed a proper management and coaching set-up then it's worth another season in this league.

What a welcome relief that a professional is supporting what a lot of us have been saying. If we win, lose or draw tomorrow I've no doubt the future is bright.

You know what it doesn't really matter what any of us think, the fact we all have renewed optimism is enough to carry us forward and I for one look forward to the ride.

The whole fan base has been reinvigorated (it's really evident on here with seeing a load of familiar names returning). It's a ride we want to get on again, rather than desperately wanting to get off.

Can't understand some fans talking about Lambert getting improvement this season and then to have a 'real good go' next season.

We've moved on from the Bowyer era.

This is not the PL where there's a huge chasm in ability when comparing the top six to the rest.

This is a very modest C'ship where we have the best finisher bar none and players like Conway, Marshall, Lawrence who can take teams apart. A couple of good early wins and we will be on a roll. Belief, confidence and momentum are everything. I believe we will be in the PL next season and the bookies will take a hiding.

The only chance we'd have of making the PL next year is through the play-offs and even then it is a real long shot that will require barely any slip ups between now and the season end. Even if we somehow made the play-offs, then they're pretty much a lottery.

I for one would take a top-half finish providing we're showing real promise for a charge next season. A bit like when Souness took over.

haha you've just proved mine for me with that comment, cheers.

shame abbey doesnt speak for himself. anymore.

Actually it is from ABBEY, you just don't happen to be on his facebook

;)

Don't feel left out though

The only chance we'd have of making the PL next year is through the play-offs and even then it is a real long shot that will require barely any slip ups between now and the season end. Even if we somehow made the play-offs, then they're pretty much a lottery.

I for one would take a top-half finish providing we're showing real promise for a charge next season. A bit like when Souness took over.

sorry dude, i agree with mercer and also actually believe we'll be in PL next season.our missing piece has been a good manager and backroom. i believe we'll see a cutting edge,fitness and tactics in our game , and not run around like headless chicken.

p.s we'll be a mid-table PL team soon(Praying)

• Moderation Lead

You could well be right K-Hod, I really hope you are and this squad fires us back to the Premiership, but I just can't see it.

You going tomorrow?

I think it will be next season rather than this but here's hoping mate! Yep, me and JBizzle, everyone's best mate!

Archived