BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

But surely if it all hinged on promotion this season then Venkys would have acted sooner. Why not replace Bowyer last summer and get the embargo lifted then? That way give the new man a full pre-season and summer to prepare. Not mess about until November then expect the new man to pull off a miracle by getting someone else's squad from a return of 3 wins in 17 to the play-offs in half a season.

If they were receiving or listening to any sensible advice then they would not have expected the play-offs or thought they were achievable after Lambert took over. Nobody in world football would have put money on this side getting there. The fact that we briefly went within a few points of the top six before Christmas doesn't mean much. Most of the sides in this league have at some stage or other been within reach of the top six this season.

Its nonsensical.

If it is the case that Lambert expected backing which isn't going to materialise then my money is on it being down to the chaotic organisation of Venkys. I have no doubt that Lambert, via Sohail Pasha, was told money would be available to overhaul this squad in the summer. There must have been some sort of discussion about beyond this season. My guess would be that one of the Venky people, probably Balaji, instigated the managerial change having been fed up with results under Bowyer, and promised Lambert money to spend. Then at some stage since then the others, Mrs Desai included, have overruled him and decided they aren't going to gamble more money on signing players having already lost fortunes.

I think back to some of the talk about big name managers and signings after Allardyce was sacked. I'm sure there was talk about Benitez, Eriksson and others being given fortunes to spend which never materialised and we were stuck with Kean for years. This time we've gone further in that the 'big name' manager has arrived but again the money hasn't materialised.

It makes me sick to the pit of my stomach when I think of the amounts of money wasted as a direct result of Steve Kean and Shebby Singh, which if invested into Allardyce or Lambert would no doubt have delivered success.

Kean f-uc-ked us in quite a short time-frame. It just seemed like eternity.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give Venkeys credit - they've screwed us over in a new way for them. Tease doing something right and then screw that up. Guess they must have got bored of screwing us up the usual way.

Even of this situation resolves itself decently, which is looking more unlikely by the day, it'll lose any trust between PL and owners and he'll be off like a shot at the next half decent offer in the future. Way to go Venkeys.

Kean f-uc-ked us in quite a short time-frame. It just seemed like eternity.

Almost 2 years of my Rovers supporting life that I will never get back. December 2010 to September 2012. An eternity in football, especially for unrelenting destruction. Long enough that 3.5 years after his departure the aftershocks and ramifications are still being felt around the club.

I'll give Venkeys credit - they've screwed us over in a new way for them. Tease doing something right and then screw that up. Guess they must have got bored of screwing us up the usual way.

Even of this situation resolves itself decently, which is looking more unlikely by the day, it'll lose any trust between PL and owners and he'll be off like a shot at the next half decent offer in the future. Way to go Venkeys.

This is it. Even if they do surprisingly come up with the goods this time and agree to what he wants, he's already been mucked around at the first hurdle and likely will be again at numerous stages. The frustration is clearly building even at this early stage in his tenure. Running summer business through India won't work. If he wants to sign big name players who are in demand and we face competition we will miss out due to time difference and waiting for approval. The only way this is going to work is by handing over power to the UK. Is that going to happen? No.

Clutching at straws it sounds more like the owners have not communicated their plans to Lambert yet rather than him definitely having been told backing won't be available.

I must say Lambert is playing an extremely dangerous game. He is producing extremely poor results yet is calling the owners out on an almost daily basis. His comments would sit a lot easier with me if he'd produced a significant upturn in results and I think he should get his part of the job right before publicly calling out the owners every other day. What must the players think if it is clear the manager is not committed to the Club?The motivation for them to perform properly must be almost zero given we're probably safe.

Have to agree, not much on the surface to make them enthusiastic about dipping their hands in their pockets.

Now we know why the only two managers to last any prolonged period of time under this regime have been Kean and Bowyer. Both of them recognised from the start the importance of a personal link with Desai and worked from there. Frequent flights out to India during the season to have face to face talks with her seem to be the only way the club/manager can get things done and get decisions made. Allardyce, Berg, Appleton and now Lambert have not had that connection, and that has prevented them from doing their jobs to the best of their ability. Allardyce lasted 2 weeks, Berg and Appleton a couple of months, Lambert will manage half a season.

They aren't ever going to change. They won't entrust a board with the power to run the club. Lambert is clearly reaching breaking point having to answer questions on all issues without any board to discuss things with or help him.

Even if Venkys agreed to a healthy budget in the summer I would have no faith in them actually delivering it or putting in place an effective structure for the summer. They won't bring in a proper CEO who can run transfers from Ewood. They will need to 'sign off' the expenditure and that will result in delays and likely missing out on transfer targets.

I am pleased that Lambert is going public with his concerns and I would respect him if he walked, although I would be devastated about it and the future of the club. His appointment in November and the period up to February was the most optimism I have had for Rovers since they took over the club. Presumably Venkys won't take kindly to being publically held to task or told what they should do by a lowly employee and Lambert's replacement will have to be another yes man who is grateful for a job and will work under whatever conditions they throw at him. Might as well go and get Bowyer back. At least he had an eye for a player and kept us clear of trouble for 2 years.

Not sure about that JH, I can only remember Bowyer going to Pune once in two and a half years, unless I missed reports of other visits.

Maybe he went over around the time he was given the job ?

I seem to remember him going out several times and then coming back talking about his productive talks with 'madame', although noticeably after his first full season his communication with the owners seemed to decrease up until last summer when they cut off communication altogether.

I think Bowyer knew where the power lay and that his best chance of getting answers/action lay in going straight to Desai rather than going through the brothers or intermediaries. Not speaking to the owners was partly to blame for the brief tenures of Berg and Appleton who were brought in by others and didn't have time to have face to face talks in India.

I would like to know which of the owners Lambert met prior to taking the job and where. I'd be very surprised if Desai was one of them as I can't envisage Lambert going to India. My guess is that it was one or both of the brothers who took the lead in appointing Lambert and probably met him in London/Switzerland, made agreements/gave indications that when have needed approval from the big boss back home in India haven't been signed off. Just my take on it.

I seem to remember him going out several times and then coming back talking about his productive talks with 'madame', although noticeably after his first full season his communication with the owners seemed to decrease up until last summer when they cut off communication altogether.

I think Bowyer knew where the power lay and that his best chance of getting answers/action lay in going straight to Desai rather than going through the brothers or intermediaries. Not speaking to the owners was partly to blame for the brief tenures of Berg and Appleton who were brought in by others and didn't have time to have face to face talks in India.

I would like to know which of the owners Lambert met prior to taking the job and where. I'd be very surprised if Desai was one of them as I can't envisage Lambert going to India. My guess is that it was one or both of the brothers who took the lead in appointing Lambert and probably met him in London/Switzerland, made agreements/gave indications that when have needed approval from the big boss back home in India haven't been signed off. Just my take on it.

You could well be right on that score.

Shouldn't be long now before we know for sure.

How realistic is it to expect Venkys to fund a spending spree when the club is already running at an operating loss of £15m (before transfers) despite cutting the squad size and offloading the highest earner?This would require a substantial increase in the wage bill for at least the next two seasons and would result in losses exceeding the FFP limit of £39m over a 3 year window. I simply do not envisage Venkys commiting to funding a (say) £30m loss in each of the next 2 years on top of the £160m they have already spent in buying and funding the club.

How realistic is it to expect Venkys to fund a spending spree when the club is already running at an operating loss of £15m (before transfers) despite cutting the squad size and offloading the highest earner?This would require a substantial increase in the wage bill for at least the next two seasons and would result in losses exceeding the FFP limit of £39m over a 3 year window. I simply do not envisage Venkys commiting to funding a (say) £30m loss in each of the next 2 years on top of the £160m they have already spent in buying and funding the club.

There's not much room for manoeuvre.

My own feeling is that Lambert is our best hope for the future, he must have told the owners what he needs for the summer (either directly or via a middleman) and he is now waiting to hear the answer. On that rests our future, perhaps he is playing the old game and stirring things up, to put a bit of pressure on them to agree to his requests? Some people in the press are only too ready to see the negative in anything to do with the Rovers and are happy to make things seem worse than they really are ? I would guess that Lambert will know pretty soon what his budget will be.

Regarding Lambert's other concern about a figurehead/spokesman needed for the boardroom, I would imagine that with Shaw's and Myers' departure the owners will be actively looking for someone to fill the gaps. That the process is taking time, maybe a sign that they are being careful to get the right person ?

And completely a problem of their own making.

God knows what they were thinking (or more to the point what they were told) when they took over. The model on how to proceed was already in place, they just had to build on it slightly with just a moderate increase in spending on transfers required. THE single biggest mistake they made was forcing Williams and Finn out, 2 experienced and respected administrators, who had proved they could work within a budget. Exactly the type of CEO they will be looking for now!

Instead we got the, money making transfer merry go round race to the bottom.

We told you so Venkys, but you're not LISTENING

And completely a problem of their own making.

I agree but it does not follow that they are going to throw any more money at it. Apart from a potentially very costly gamble on promotion they have only two other ways to cut their losses. Either, follow the Bolton route and try to find a buyer - which will be difficult in view of the operating loss, even if the existing debt is written off and the State Bank of India is paid off. Or eliminate the losses by selling players (

I agree but it does not follow that they are going to throw any more money at it. Apart from a potentially very costly gamble on promotion they have only two other ways to cut their losses. Either, follow the Bolton route and try to find a buyer - which will be difficult in view of the operating loss, even if the existing debt is written off and the State Bank of India is paid off. Or eliminate the losses by selling players (Marshall, Hanley, Duffy) and cutting the wage bill to League 1 level - which is where they would then be.

I agree but it does not follow that they are going to throw any more money at it. Apart from a potentially very costly gamble on promotion they have only two other ways to cut their losses. Either, follow the Bolton route and try to find a buyer - which will be difficult in view of the operating loss, even if the existing debt is written off and the State Bank of India is paid off. Or eliminate the losses by selling players (

Assuming Rovers are sold for £1 with all debt written-off, the buyer would need £40millionish just for working capital (to cover losses for the next 2 years) plus, one would assume, a transfer fund (even £10million over 2 years is modest). Can't see any takers with a loose £50million to spare.

As far selling our players to eliminate the losses, I assume you are having a larf - think you'd get the lot for less than £15millionish.

Make no mistake, we are firmly wedged very uncomfortably between a rock and a feckin hard place!

Assuming Rovers are sold for £1 with all debt written-off, the buyer would need £40millionish just for working capital (to cover losses for the next 2 years) plus, one would assume, a transfer fund (even £10million over 2 years is modest). Can't see any takers with a loose £50million to spare.

As far selling our players to eliminate the losses, I assume you are having a larf - think you'd get the lot for less than £15millionish.

Make no mistake, we are firmly wedged very uncomfortably between a rock and a feckin hard place!

administration is a more likely route. why would they just write off 100M. they can at least start to sell small pieces like brockhall to land developers etc

I inadvertently sent the post before completing it. As I went on to correct, a sale of those players might raise £5m and the wage bill would be reduced by bringing in 10 or so players on frees and low wages as Blackpool did in 14/15. Thus next season's loss is much reduced whilst the Scum try to find a buyer or line up administration.

administration is a more likely route. why would they just write off 100M. they can at least start to sell small pieces like brockhall to land developers etc

Don't disagree with you - I did say assuming!

These guys have lost a huge amount of money in Rovers and I very much doubt that they share even a fraction of Eddie Davies' affinity/loyalty to Bolton.

Grim times ahead.

I heard tonight from a source in Glasgow that is fairly closely connected to Celtic that Lambert has been sounded out about taking them over in the summer.

It may well be that people have seen his statements in the press and jumped to conclusions (Celtic will definitely pot Ronnie Deila) but this fella has been right before about things associated with that club.

Before anybody says "why would he go to Celtic?", he just would. It's a no-brainer for Lambert at this moment in time.

160 mill ? Steady on. Don't forget all the Prem tv money, parachute money and probably about 50/60 mill of player sales that have poured through the club since they took over.

I'm pretty sure the original bank debt and poss the 23 mill purchase price are in that share issue total at VLL. Certain the original overdraft is anyway as they took it off Rovers books and put it on VLL on purchase as it was a stipulation of the deal to supposedly pay it off.

I heard tonight from a source in Glasgow that is fairly closely connected to Celtic that Lambert has been sounded out about taking them over in the summer.

It may well be that people have seen his statements in the press and jumped to conclusions (Celtic will definitely pot Ronnie Deila) but this fella has been right before about things associated with that club.

Before anybody says "why would he go to Celtic?", he just would. It's a no-brainer for Lambert at this moment in time.

Even if we're riding high at the top of the championship, any manager worth his salt would crawl to Scotland to manage Celtic or Rangers.

Heard this one about a week ago and seemed logical - stuck a tenner on at 25/1 as posted in this thread at the time.

Old jam fan is about to contribute to meltdown.

Lots of if buts and maybes, on all sides.

Not a criticism. It's plausible in the very least.

The predictability, and dour standard of the spfl

Outshines the bleakness of the current Blackburn Rovers.

What should I have done, kept it to myself?

Edit - looking at the number of direct messages on my WORK Twitter account I wish I had done now.............

Archived