BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Duff Hangs Up His Boots

PA Sport 2015

SOCCER Duff

Former Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff has called time on his 20-year playing career.

The 36-year-old came through the youth system at Blackburn, before moving onto Chelsea, Newcastle and then Fulham.

Duff won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and League Cup during his career, in addition to helping the Cottagers to the 2010 Europa League final.

The winger won 100 caps for Ireland, representing them at the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2012, and returned home to join Shamrock Rovers in July

Duff penned an 18-month contract after leaving Australian outfit Melbourne City, but has brought his time with the Dublin club to a premature end.

"After much deliberation, I have today decided to bring my professional football career to an end," he said in a statement released by Shamrock.

"My heart wants me to continue playing but my body has finally won the battle and told me to stop.

"I've lived every young boy's dream and I know I am a very lucky man.

"I would like to thank everyone who has helped me along the journey from schoolboy football in Dublin and moving to England as a teenager right up to today.

"I am extremely proud to have won 100 caps for my country - it was always my greatest pleasure to represent Ireland and I have many magical memories from my international career.

"While I have finished playing, I am progressing with my coaching badges and will stay involved in the game for many years to come.

"I am grateful to Pat Fenlon and Shamrock Rovers F.C. for giving me the opportunity to finish my career back home - they have some exciting plans for the club for the future and I wish them well. I had hoped to play for one more year but it was not to be.

"Thank you to all the many fans for your support over the years.

"I would like to especially thank my wife Elaine, my children, my parents Gerard and Mary and my family for being, and continuing to be, my biggest supporters."

One of my all time favourites. I used to watch the youth teams down at Brockhall in that period when Duffer played for them. I even watched them away on one occasion and that was down to Duffer in the main. Unbelievable player, Damien I salute you.

The lad that played up front with Beattie was James Thomas. Just as good as Beattie at that level and time but, whilst he played professional football, did it in the lower leagues from memory.

One of my all time favourites. I used to watch the youth teams down at Brockhall in that period when Duffer played for them. I even watched them away on one occasion and that was down to Duffer in the main. Unbelievable player, Damien I salute you.

The lad that played up front with Beattie was James Thomas. Just as good as Beattie at that level and time but, whilst he played professional football, did it in the lower leagues from memory.

Thomas isn't the guy I'm thinking of. I remember Thomas scoring against Bolton on his Premier League debut. It was downhill after that. The lad I'm thinking of was called Cassin I think.

Many Thanks Damien for your sterling service to the club, it was a genuine pleasure watching you in the Blue & White Halves. A player with natural flare and skill, you were a real 'edge of your seat player'

Here's to a memorable career and wishing you every success in coaching and beyond. Who knows, maybe one day you will come 'Home' and bring further success to the Rovers.

Arte et Labore.

• Like 1

He played up front with Beattie when Duff was on the left wing.

Don't remember him TS, only Beattie and Thomas. I know that for some cup games they were allowed to merge the two youth teams. May be it was Beattie and Thomas when they did that but I don't remember Cassin or whoever. Perhaps he played prop for the Hornets? :-)

Always amused me when he looked knackered after 5 minutes but would still beat his full-back for the next 85.

Top, top winger and one of my favourite players in my lifetime. Scored a fair few too. Byline, cutting inside, left, right didn't matter he'd just go past you.