BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Also another name for a pacey winger is Norwich City Elliott Bennett. Currently playing for Bristol City on a loan deal that ends on the 3rd of January. He has played under Lambert whilst he was manager at Norwich City in the Premier League.

According to Transfermarkt, Bennett's contract ends at the end of the season. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elliott-bennett/profil/spieler/43193

so I wonder he is possibility as a cheap signing(500k)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about getting big lads in etc...

It's about getting strikers in who can understand and actually physically cope the gegenpressing and have enough in the tank to compose themselves when an opportunity comes along. I chatted with Kammy about this on Twitter last week. We agreed that Rhodes is struggling physically with the pressing and then snatching at opportunities or even being a yard behind the game...his fitness will come.

PL won't change that high pressing for JR so either he learns to cope with it or he will be sold. I think he will be looking for a strong, quick and mobile forward to compliment the system.

No one player should ever be put before a team. We've spent long enough playing to JR's strengths and losing football matches.

Hardly ever we have played to Rhodes strength...the one time we did was bolton at home two seasons ago with dunn pulling the strings and Rhodes had an awesome game

Agbonlahor is only 29 years old. I thought he was older like 32/33 years old.

I agree would be good loan option

exactly so. Lambert's style is a direct style of play with a us either playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. with us pressing the ball from the front.

I don't see Lambert changing his style for any players who cant play his way.

I agree with this that Rhodes is struggling fitness wise with this high pressing game of Lambert.

I defo don't see Lambert changing his style one bit. The players will either adapt to his style or they will be sold IMO.

You suggestion that he is looking for a strong, quick and mobile forward to compliment the system this is why I suggestion Victor Anichebe. cos he strong, some pace and He knows Lambert coaching staff due to playing at Everton and WBA under them(Irvine and Kelly)

The fact that you would consider letting Rhodes go and Anichebe come in means that im incredibly relieved that you are nowhere near the management seat.

The fact that you would consider letting Rhodes go and Anichebe come in means that im incredibly relieved that you are nowhere near the management seat.

I want to be bring Anichebe to play with Rhodes actually.

would I be shock to see Rhodes leave if Lambert decide to cash in on him? not at all cos he has struggled under Lambert tactics wise and with high pressing game.

Do I see Lambert changing his tactics suit to Rhodes and stop our high pressing game? Not at all, Lambert believe in his tactics and thinks that his high pressing game will work. He has promotion on CV and knows how to get a team promote from this league to the Premier League and SURELY that is what we want at the end of the day?

I want to see Lambert bring pace and goal scoring midfielder to the team that we lacked. I have suggested several possible names that would bring the team pace and goals from centre midfielder.

Wouldn't mind snaffling Sam Byram off Leeds if he doesn't re-sign. Quality attack-minded RB.

Imagine top clubs will be interested too though.

If there was any chance, then he would be a cracking signing.

I agree though, I think top clubs will be after him. Premier League bound I'd think.

It isn't the case that we have to sell Rhodes to generate funds to do business within FFP constraints.

If that were the case then a club like Middlesbrough would never have been able to offer £12 million for him.

Middlesbrough, Leeds, Derby, Fulham, QPR, Wolves etc. all spent substantial amounts of money last summer and none had to sell off their best players before doing it.

I think we can all agree that it is highly unlikely that a Premier League club will be coming in with a huge bid for Rhodes in the near future. In 3.5 years the only one that did was Hull City, and they were relegated the season after.

Therefore the only likely interest in Rhodes is going to be from rival Championship clubs.

Two problems with that though. One is the issue that if he isn't good enough for us then why would he be good enough for our rivals for promotion, Middlesbrough being the prime example?

The other is that if we need to sell him so we can strengthen within FFP constraints then how does that work if our rivals are able to go around offering £10 million+ to get him? Do they not have to worry about the same constraints?

I've never studied Boro's accounts so I'm not sure how much loss they make. Their £12m bid might have been spread over x amount of years and tied to them securing promotion etc.

Rovers' accounts are well documented on here and we had to convert £3m of debt into shares to leave the sanctions. I expect that us spending a minimal amount (without us increasing our revenues) will have us teetering with sanctions again. If we want to make wholesale changes without going back into embargo, then we have to sell. That seems the most logical explanation to where we find ourselves.

If we want to throw caution to the wind and go all out, keep Rhodes and buy who the hell we want, we've probably got between Jan and July to do it before being hit with an embargo.

And none lost. Obviously there are exceptions but generally the teams that concede the least go up.

That wasn't the point you were making but hey ho.

However, assuming you did a bit of research, you must have noticed but neglected to add that the teams who score the most go up more often than the team who concede the least. ;)

I agree. And with our current squad, the latter is best achieved by the former.

I wonder if Leicester fans are grumbling about Vardy's lack of all round game. You can be damned sure plenty on this mb would be.

Vardy: :

Strengths: Fast, works hard, provides physical presence, runs the channels, can play with back to goal, presses defenders, can beat a man one-on-one, good header of ball, scores goals. In short, a nightmare for top-class defenders

Weaknesses: Few

Rhodes

Strengths: Scores goals, nice boy who doesn't cause the management any problems

Weaknesses: About as much use as a chocolate teapot outside the penalty area.

Conclusion: Leicester fans don't grumble about Vardy's allround game and the comparison is silly.

Vardy: :

Strengths: Fast, works hard, provides physical presence, runs the channels, can play with back to goal, presses defenders, can beat a man one-on-one, good header of ball, scores goals. In short, a nightmare for top-class defenders

Weaknesses: Few

Rhodes

Strengths: Scores goals, nice boy who doesn't cause the management any problems

Weaknesses: About as much use as a chocolate teapot outside the penalty area.

Conclusion: Leicester fans don't grumble about Vardy's allround game and the comparison is silly.

As always Jim, you prove my point. Bravo with the research.

That wasn't the point you were making but hey ho.

However, assuming you did a bit of research, you must have noticed but neglected to add that the teams who score the most go up more often than the team who concede the least. ;)

I'm almost tempted to research it now :unsure: Ok - Unless you are a Madrid, Bayern or Barca you are more likely to win a game by keeping it tight and trying to nick a goal from a break or a set play. Most teams haven't the attacking talent to consistently outscore the opposition (we definitely don't)...

especially if the opposition have set up to keep a clean sheet and just nicked one on the break or from a set piece against you. :xmas:

I'll give it up now,

I'm almost tempted to research it now :unsure: Ok - Unless you are a Madrid, Bayern or Barca you are more likely to win a game by keeping it tight and trying to nick a goal from a break or a set play. Most teams haven't the attacking talent to consistently outscore the opposition (we definitely don't)...

especially if the opposition have set up to keep a clean sheet and just nicked one on the break or from a set piece against you. :xmas:

I'll give it up now,

I genuinely don't believe this is the right approach. It's something that Bowyer believed 100% but unless you are Mourinho or have refs afraid of you (a la Ferguson) then you aren't going to win every game 1-0.

Especially in the Championship the teams who are most successful are those who out-score the opposition. Highest GF, highest GD, usually equates to most points. Just look at Newcastle, Southampton, Notwich, Watford, even Burnley in recent times. Bournemouth scored 98 goals last season!

I would rather see a team that goes for goals however, given our current squad, I believe we would have a much better chance of the top 6 by keeping tight and adding some pace up front and out wide.

Not sure where the Agbonlahor link has come from but if he still has the hunger, he could be a handful at this level.

Not sure that Bowyer had any kind of plan that I could see.

Vardy is a totally different playing style to Rhodes, a better comparison would be to show him videos of someone with limited pace and physical strength like Dickov. Dickov was a far better player without the ball, and made the centre-halves work for every challenge, marking JR is about concentration in the area.

Wasn't Agbonlahor's major asset his pace? Maybe his lack of 1st team action at Villa is due to him approaching 30 with a few miles on the clock? He doesn't strike me as being the type of player who adapts his game when his pace drops off, so he wouldn't be for me.

Wasn't Agbonlahor's major asset his pace? Maybe his lack of 1st team action at Villa is due to him approaching 30 with a few miles on the clock? He doesn't strike me as being the type of player who adapts his game when his pace drops off, so he wouldn't be for me.

My brother is a villa fan and he told me a long time ago that Agbonlahor's strength used to be pace but he has spent too much time bulking up and it's severely affected his acceleration. Personally speaking I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. He's never had a good finish and if he's lost that explosive pace then he's a spent force.

Vardy is a totally different playing style to Rhodes, a better comparison would be to show him videos of someone with limited pace and physical strength like Dickov. Dickov was a far better player without the ball, and made the centre-halves work for every challenge, marking JR is about concentration in the area.

Vardy or Dickov the point is the same. Put the yards in. Rhodes is our most valuable asset but there's a good reason why every manager makes reference to him improving his link up play. They all see he could do more. Imagine a Paul Dickov who could finish. A managers dream.

The week before the FA Cup semi with Chelsea the Villa won at Ewood. Agbonlahor scored and was unbelievably fast. Great view of his run down the centre of the field from BBE. We lost 1-2 and Brad saved a penalty from Barry! If Agbonlahor has just 60% of what he was he's still fast.

Vardys lack of all round game? you haveing a laugh? Rhodes ain't a patch on that lad , now he is one we should of got before he went to Leicester .

A friend of mine was recently working at the home of an scout, who freelanced for Rovers around the time of the takeover and relegation/portugeezers etc....Vardy and Lallana were both recommended to the club and both rejected out of hand by the people in power at the time. Makes you sick doesn't it.

I want to be bring Anichebe to play with Rhodes actually.

would I be shock to see Rhodes leave if Lambert decide to cash in on him? not at all cos he has struggled under Lambert tactics wise and with high pressing game.

Do I see Lambert changing his tactics suit to Rhodes and stop our high pressing game? Not at all, Lambert believe in his tactics and thinks that his high pressing game will work. He has promotion on CV and knows how to get a team promote from this league to the Premier League and SURELY that is what we want at the end of the day?

I want to see Lambert bring pace and goal scoring midfielder to the team that we lacked. I have suggested several possible names that would bring the team pace and goals from centre midfielder.

Errr the whole team has struggled besides the defence performance wise so why consider selling Rhodes before the rest?

I've never studied Boro's accounts so I'm not sure how much loss they make. Their £12m bid might have been spread over x amount of years and tied to them securing promotion etc.

Rovers' accounts are well documented on here and we had to convert £3m of debt into shares to leave the sanctions. I expect that us spending a minimal amount (without us increasing our revenues) will have us teetering with sanctions again. If we want to make wholesale changes without going back into embargo, then we have to sell. That seems the most logical explanation to where we find ourselves.

If we want to throw caution to the wind and go all out, keep Rhodes and buy who the hell we want, we've probably got between Jan and July to do it before being hit with an embargo.

Hence that means promotion.. Was interested listening to Steve Evans today when asked on transfer funding and he said it depends on where the club is in the league throughout January wether to go for a push on or not

I genuinely don't believe this is the right approach. It's something that Bowyer believed 100% but unless you are Mourinho or have refs afraid of you (a la Ferguson) then you aren't going to win every game 1-0.

Especially in the Championship the teams who are most successful are those who out-score the opposition. Highest GF, highest GD, usually equates to most points. Just look at Newcastle, Southampton, Notwich, Watford, even Burnley in recent times. Bournemouth scored 98 goals last season!

I did the research over a year ago and found that in fact it's team that concede fewer goals that have gone up. that hasn't factored in last year and Bournemouth but generally speaking it has been the case.

edit- last year 3/4 best sides defensively went up, including Bournemouth who had the 2nd best record. they were however also the 3 best scoring sides too!

Archived