BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry JH but I don't think there is a pot of gold gathering dust at all, what about the bank overdraft and other owings to the BOI ?. Plus whatever transfer fees we have outstanding plus loan fees and the shortfall in wages v income for this season again. That's why I fully expect the JR money to be swallowed up apart from what is committed to be shelled out should we sign the loanees.

I know what your getting at but in reality all the sales recently do is balance the books for a season. Of course it should open up for the owners to actually put some cash into building the team for a change instead of just under pinning debt. Not sure they will though for various reasons.

note to the Jermaine Jones posters - suspension aside, part of the reason he has not re-signed at this time in MLS is because he wants a multi-year deal, and no one has been willing to offer him one (at least at whatever terms he would accept). The news reports are that he would accept less than his previous contract (again, no one really sure how much less that would be), but the multi-year aspect was the critical part.

In the last several US national team matches, he's been playing center back and not as a midfielder.

I do not rate him as a starter, even in the championship at this point. I think he could do 45, especially if we are leading, in a bit to hold and settle the midfield. But I don't think the current version of Mr. Jones is the answer.

One US player who could possibly adapt (although would probably need half a season to adjust to the style/pace of play) is Perry Kitchen, currently without a club and available on a free transfer. Has similar energy and drive, but hasn't really played the pace of the championship. In MLS, there were matches where he was brilliant one week but would disappear the next. Part of that came from the very defensive system he was playing in. But with the right players around him, would definitely step up from the MLS play - last I heard he was looking for opportunities in Germany. He may be worth a punt on a trial though.

note to the Jermaine Jones posters - suspension aside, part of the reason he has not re-signed at this time in MLS is because he wants a multi-year deal, and no one has been willing to offer him one (at least at whatever terms he would accept). The news reports are that he would accept less than his previous contract (again, no one really sure how much less that would be), but the multi-year aspect was the critical part.

In the last several US national team matches, he's been playing center back and not as a midfielder.

I do not rate him as a starter, even in the championship at this point. I think he could do 45, especially if we are leading, in a bit to hold and settle the midfield. But I don't think the current version of Mr. Jones is the answer.

One US player who could possibly adapt (although would probably need half a season to adjust to the style/pace of play) is Perry Kitchen, currently without a club and available on a free transfer. Has similar energy and drive, but hasn't really played the pace of the championship. In MLS, there were matches where he was brilliant one week but would disappear the next. Part of that came from the very defensive system he was playing in. But with the right players around him, would definitely step up from the MLS play - last I heard he was looking for opportunities in Germany. He may be worth a punt on a trial though.

I don't blame him!! ... but realistically at 34 years old he just isn't going to get one , the best that would probably be on offer would be a deal to end of season with a further 12months if ALL parties agreed

If he was a free agent coming to earn a contract with a view to next season and he would fit in our wage budget then yes it's a no brainer I suppose. He was on 90k pwk previously and the MSL are huge payers as well I think so I wouldn't gamble any big doh on it just to see out the season in midtable.

A 12 month loan on 15 grand a week would be nice though :)

I thought he was terrific for us, doubt he'll fancy the 2nd division, sure he'll have more opportunities, sadly.

15K a week!! Isn't Gomez on 9K? (Sunderland paying half?) If that is correct then 9K should be our maximum unless they are exceptional (e.g. current prem player).

We need to learn the lessons of the past and cut our cloth accordingly!

As cheap as poss would be best yes but I did say within our wage budget and a few of ours will be on 15k you can bet. We won't draw a decent player for less sadly unless like you've pointed out it's a loan. Anyway it's a waste of money at the moment just for this season but if it was 12 months you could build around him to hit the ground running next season.

All in all though I think I'd look elsewhere as I can't see why he'd want to drop from the MLS into the lower English championship at this stage of his career unless it was about money.

Sorry JH but I don't think there is a pot of gold gathering dust at all, what about the bank overdraft and other owings to the BOI ?. Plus whatever transfer fees we have outstanding plus loan fees and the shortfall in wages v income for this season again. That's why I fully expect the JR money to be swallowed up apart from what is committed to be shelled out should we sign the loanees.

No one can realistically expect us to spend the lion's share of the Rhodes money in the summer. I think it was Den who made the point that the first order of business has always been to balance the books, with any surplus money made available for transfers. When we sold Roque to Man. City for £17m, only a small portion of that was spent on buying his replacement (Kalinic). And that's when we were a tightly run, established PL club and not a lower-league basketcase up to our eyes in debt.

Thankfully, Lambert shouldn't need a 'warchest' to get us out of this division. Ipswich have gone close on a pittance, and Bournemouth's promotion side cost approx £4m.

No one can realistically expect us to spend the lion's share of the Rhodes money in the summer. I think it was Den who made the point that the first order of business has always been to balance the books, with any surplus money made available for transfers. When we sold Roque to Man. City for £17m, only a small portion of that was spent on buying his replacement (Kalinic). And that's when we were a tightly run, established PL club and not a lower-league basketcase up to our eyes in debt.

Thankfully, Lambert shouldn't need a 'warchest' to get us out of this division. Ipswich have gone close on a pittance, and Bournemouth's promotion side cost approx £4m.

Think I'd prefer us to do it like that if I'm honest although a signing or 2 to capture the imagination would be nice in summer. Saying that though the books should balance more or less soon for the first time in ages so it would be a good opportunity to spend properly on the team.

A 3 to 5 mill budget to Lambert could make a massive difference to add to what we have now, assuming the loans sign perm.

Didn't PL tell us weeks ago that we'd get some surprisingly good signings in the summer or words to that effect?

I think he must have been quite confident to do that, whether that means spending a few quid or not that much, I'm expecting some relative quality to come and not that concerned about it

I hope we're looking at League One and the rest of the Championship for transfers and not just expensive Premier League players. Bournemouth did an excellent job at rounding up the best talent available in the lower divisions (Wilson, Ritchie etc), as did Leicester before them (Vardy, Drinkwater, Morgan etc). If you can get a core group of players all on the upward curve of their career together you can mould a strong team with a distinct style.

Bringing lots of players down from the Premier League has generally led to expensive failure. Obviously you need a core of experience, but I think we have that covered already (maybe one more central midfielder depending on formation).

I'd like to see us move for Tom Bradshaw (maybe as an alternative to Danny Graham), as well as Bradley Dack to add some goals from midfield. Must be some talented full backs around as well.

One US player who could possibly adapt (although would probably need half a season to adjust to the style/pace of play) is Perry Kitchen,

Perhaps we should also look at Johnny Bathroom? Pretty soon we'd have a full house.

I´ve been following MLS for a few years from Denmark. A guy like Kellyn Acosta seems like an exciting player. How do you rate him?

So who are we looking at on loan then?

Think at this case it's a guessing game.

Loan window transfer roulette:

Step 1) Take your date of birth and minus 11 from the first two numbers (if possible - if not possible move on to step 2.

Step 2) count down the premier league table with the number you ended up with from step 1.

Step 3) this is now your club. For authenticity we are only looking for central midfielders, left backs and strikers at this club.

Step 4) pick either a central midfielder, left back or striker from this club - NOTE: MUST BE AGED 16-21 OR 31+

Step 5) log onto brfcs and post a transfer rumour using the following classic Mercerman line: "good friend with contacts high up at <insert club name> has said we will shortly be announcing the loan signing of <insert player name> until the end of the season. I've backed it."

To summarise the BRFCS 'loan window transfer roulette' game, here is the following:

I was born on the 23rd of February.

23-11 = 12.

Crystal Palace are 12th.

Midfielder aged 31+ - Mile Jedinak

Good friend with contacts high up at Crystal Palace has said we will shortly be announcing the loan signing of Mile Jedinak until the end of the season. I've backed it.

Archived