1 minute ago, philipl said:

Trump believes in Trump. The USA is an incidental prop to his ego.

Be even when Biden beats him

Woken up to finding Malaysian friends discussing Trump having instructed American virus statistics to be suppressed to help his re-election.

And this posted by prominent right wing American economists:

Massive US Government Failure

by  Alex Tabarrok March 12, 2020 at 3:01 pm in 

NPR: Ashish Jha, who runs the Harvard Global Health Institute, says the response to the coronavirus has varied dramatically around the world.

…So how has the United States’ response been?

“Our response is much, much worse than almost any other country that’s been affected,” Jha says.

He uses the words “stunning,” “fiasco” and “mind-blowing” to describe how bad it is.

“And I don’t understand it,” he says incredulously. “I still don’t understand why we don’t have extensive testing. Vietnam! Vietnam has tested more people than America has.” (He’s citing data from earlier this week. The U.S. has since started testing more widely, although exact figures still aren’t available at a national level.)

…Jha believes that the weekslong delay in deploying tests — at a time when numerous other tests were available around the world — has completely hampered the U.S. response to this crisis.

“Without testing, you have no idea how extensive the infection is. You can’t isolate people. You can’t do anything,” he says. “And so then we’re left with a completely different set of choices. We have to shut schools, events and everything down, because that’s the only tool available to us until we get testing back up. It’s been stunning to me how bad the federal response has been.”

I too am stunned .

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Woken up to finding Malaysian friends discussing Trump having instructed American virus statistics to be suppressed to help his re-election.

And this posted by prominent right wing American economists:

Massive US Government Failure

by  Alex Tabarrok March 12, 2020 at 3:01 pm in 

NPR: Ashish Jha, who runs the Harvard Global Health Institute, says the response to the coronavirus has varied dramatically around the world.

…So how has the United States’ response been?

“Our response is much, much worse than almost any other country that’s been affected,” Jha says.

He uses the words “stunning,” “fiasco” and “mind-blowing” to describe how bad it is.

“And I don’t understand it,” he says incredulously. “I still don’t understand why we don’t have extensive testing. Vietnam! Vietnam has tested more people than America has.” (He’s citing data from earlier this week. The U.S. has since started testing more widely, although exact figures still aren’t available at a national level.)

…Jha believes that the weekslong delay in deploying tests — at a time when numerous other tests were available around the world — has completely hampered the U.S. response to this crisis.

“Without testing, you have no idea how extensive the infection is. You can’t isolate people. You can’t do anything,” he says. “And so then we’re left with a completely different set of choices. We have to shut schools, events and everything down, because that’s the only tool available to us until we get testing back up. It’s been stunning to me how bad the federal response has been.”

I too am stunned .

Stunned? It was entirely predictable.

This bloke worked on pandemic response for Obama. He posted this in February 2017; https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/832616259598610432

Here's another snippet from a radio interview where the journalist being interviewed reported that one of Trump's cabinet members asked him in January to start testing. Trump said no as he was worried that more coronavirus cases would look bad on Trump and hurt his reelection chances.

ES7rypQWkAIvKAM.png:large

Agreed entirely predictable.

That was posted by two Trump-supporting leading economists so I suppose a way of arse-covering is to say they are stunned.

I am a sadist really but just putting this here as a matter of very recent record of Trump's America:

US global rank in new cases/day: 1⃣
US global rank in total cases: 3⃣*
US global rank in new deaths/day: 4⃣*
US global rank in critical cases: 5⃣*
US global rank in total deaths: 6⃣*

* rising fast

At 15 cases: Within a couple of days, it'll be close to zero.

At 9,000 cases: It's a war. It's a very tough situation.

At 46,000 cases: We're safe. Let's reopen America.

Is anybody ready to trust that kind of unstable judgment from Trump right now?

Is Trump handling the crisis well?

A Washington Post poll this week found 48% of Americans approve of the president's work and 46% disapprove - the highest approval and lowest disapproval ratings of his term.

Even Johnson gets a 70% approval rating up from 30%...

Usual reaction in a crisis is to look to Government.

Trump's bump is pathetic.

I would love it like Keegan if just once someone filmed an expert, aide, or foreign leader to go full Malcolm Tucker on him and verbally massacre him face to face. He's a flat track bully of epic proportions, with the added horror of Narcissistic Personality Disorder and maybe even dementia and just someone taking him down would be great.

US deaths took one month to go 1 to 1,000 and two days to get to 2,000.

This is a graphic of the $2tn (remember the Dems got a clause included which specifically excludes Trump and his family from getting any benefit from it):

image.thumb.png.594db871f995c159c7a01936607a7cc0.png

Watching Trump on a series of media ‘questions and answers’ shows just what a liability he is. If a reporter poses a perfectly valid question but one he knows he will be unable to answer, he immediately talks over them and tells them what a terrible question that was etc etc. He then starts to waffle.

In a situation as important as this, questions need to be answered as truthfully as possible. There is vague, quite vague, extremely vague and Donald Trump vague.

How he is at just under 50% in their citizens’ perceptions of his handling of the situation is anyone’s guess.

15 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Watching Trump on a series of media ‘questions and answers’ shows just what a liability he is. If a reporter poses a perfectly valid question but one he knows he will be unable to answer, he immediately talks over them and tells them what a terrible question that was etc etc. He then starts to waffle.

In a situation as important as this, questions need to be answered as truthfully as possible. There is vague, quite vague, extremely vague and Donald Trump vague.

How he is at just under 50% in their citizens’ perceptions of his handling of the situation is anyone’s guess.

It's called " Rallying around the flag ". It only lasts for so long.

Trump is vague and stupid, Johnson lies and prevaricates. Best open, honest leadership I've seen around the world has been provided by women - Sturgeon in Scotland, Merkel in Germany and the NZ premier whose name I can't remember.

Rutte, the Duch prime minister, was excellent too. Straight talking and not truthful with no attempts to blindside the public

Edited by jim mk2