BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sat 6Th Rhodes Vs Rovers

chor808

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing for sure is the Rovers team should not need motivating.

Yes we are playing one of the better sides in the division and they have a new striker that always seems to perform against his old clubs.

I'm going for a 2-1 win for Rovers. COYB.

0-0 draw with Boro missing a hatful of chances.

Would love us to nick a win, remember going there on a Tuesday night in the Carling Cup when Dickov prodded one in late on. Kuqi was unplayable that night.

0-0 draw with Boro missing a hatful of chances.

Would love us to nick a win, remember going there on a Tuesday night in the Carling Cup when Dickov prodded one in late on. Kuqi was unplayable that night.

And that is not something that can easily be said in the same sentence, Kuqi and unplayable.

Lovely bloke, real trier and showed many billy big timers that effort and determination can scratch you a good living and lots of praise from fans. What a character though.

No-one mentioned yet that Middlesbrough have lost three of their last four games in all competitions and have only scored twice in those games.

Their last two league games have been 1-0 defeats to Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.

As ever the first goal is crucial. If we get it then Middlesbrough will crumble, as their record suggests they offer very little by way of Plan B when they fall behind in a game.

Like Burnley they very rarely hammer teams but once they get ahead they manage games well and rarely let leads slip due to very strong defensive organisation.

Does anybody who travels that way regularly know if there are any roadworks or road closures on the A59? I have checked various websites and the information is vague.

The bludderhouses are closed. I travelled through that road regulary in my job.

I would recommend going on the motorway tbh. Probably the best way imo

I fancy re-energised Rovers to snatch at leat a point. I've watched Boro a number of times this year and would describe them as workmanlike at best, I think there are far better teams in the league. They have just ground wins out early in the season, I think Karanka needs to find a plan B otherwise they are in danger of hitting the skids, teams below them are really hitting their stride now.

In other news, we beat Boro away on the day I was born, in fact I was born shortly after we scored

Though there are options - I would be surprised if he doesn't line up with something like :-

Steele

Marshall Duffy(or Ward) Hanley Spurr

Evans Akpan

Watt (or Bennett) Gomez Conway

Graham

Really wouldn't like to guess at the score - not totally convinced by the Oxford game (irrespective of result).

I get these feelings every now and then, when we look up against and appear to have no chance, we pull off the unexpected. The last time I had that feeling was V Gunners away in the cup and I remember one of the times was when Tony Parkes had just been appointed as caretaker. It was possibly the first time, but we went away to Derby in the old second division and won. I think it was 2-0 but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I have this feeling and I am about to have a little flutter, that against the odds we pull of a shock win. I hope I am right.

Such is the nature of football. If we go there tomorrow and play well and win/draw then it will be hailed, together with the Oxford game, as the start of a brand new era, no longer struggling and relying on Rhodes, with Lambert having miraculously solved our problems by offloading Rhodes and bringing in better all round players.

Whereas if we play poorly and get beaten heavily/comfortably then no doubt there will be a large number of people questioning/criticising the Rhodes sale and our January business and heaping more pressure on Lambert as we head into a third month without a league win.

Such is the nature of football. If we go there tomorrow and play well and win/draw then it will be hailed, together with the Oxford game, as the start of a brand new era, no longer struggling and relying on Rhodes, with Lambert having miraculously solved our problems by offloading Rhodes and bringing in better all round players.

Whereas if we play poorly and get beaten heavily/comfortably then no doubt there will be a large number of people questioning/criticising the Rhodes sale and our January business and heaping more pressure on Lambert as we head into a third month without a league win.

Don't know why. If we get beaten heavily/comfortably then I can assure you there would have been absolutely nothing Jordan Rhodes could have contributed to alter that. Perhaps if we lose by a narrow margin and have missed 3 or 4 good chances then there might be a case for missing Rhodes....

However, given our form in the last two months with Rhodes in the team, I can say with some certainty that there can't possibly be a huge downturn in performances - we'd pretty much reached rock bottom.

I look around that squad and still see glaring deficiencies. Spurr is a weak link and the two midfielders (Akpan and Evans) are poor - Akpan perhaps the best of a bad lot. Will Gomez play as part of a two? Surely not? He's not combative enough to do so - particularly on the road against one of the best midfields in the league.

We just have to hope that he can provide that 'foot on the ball, give us a moment to breathe' and allow the midfield to turn around and face the opposition goal. Plus that little bit of class and guile we desperately need.

Not knowing much about the new strikers (Jackson, Graham, Watt), I don't know which one I'd start up top...

Steele

Marshall Duffy/Ward Hanley Spurr

Evans Akpan

Conway Gomez Taylor

One of the the Three

Going to this game. Will clap Rhodes before the game when his name is announced but as he's not a Rover anymore, that will be it.

Actually fancy our chances of sneaking 3 points from this game and I think that our squad is in much better shape than at the start of January.

Here's hoping we line up with something like:

Steele

Marshall Ward Hanley Spurr

Evans Akpan

Watt Gomez Conway

Graham

Just a side note to anybody who is going to the game, when we went last year we went to a pub near the Walkabout called Barracuda. It was £1.49 a pint in there and has Sky Sports in there. Had our colours showing and none of the locals minded, actually had a good chat with a few of them. Nice place and I thought it was much better than Doc Browns or whatever the away fans pub is called.

Looks like everyone has the same idea about where to play Gomez on Saturday. You would expect him to start in the advanced midfield role, where he can do the most damage and improve our play in the final third. However, now we have some added pace & tenacity up front, he could probably afford to drop a little deeper.

Now watch him play on the wing.

Lets just get up there and get some kind of result, sod Rhodes or the point scoring over him. It's added difficulty maybe if he plays but it's not like we'd be guaranteed a win at a place like that even if he was still in our colours.

Archived