BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Financial Unfair Play (Fup)

The Football League obviously don't see the irony of fining a Club £8m for not sticking within the spending rules.

Surely fines by the football league are unenforceable when the club is in the Premier League.

Surely fines by the football league are unenforceable when the club is in the Premier League.

At a guess, its because they broke the rules whilst playing in the football league but the details won't be available until the club submits their accounts, which presumably is done after they have already been promoted and playing in the premier league.

Could be wrong though.

At a guess, its because they broke the rules whilst playing in the football league but the details won't be available until the club submits their accounts, which presumably is done after they have already been promoted and playing in the premier league.

Could be wrong though.

I'm sure you are right but how do the league make them pay up when they no longer have any control over them?

I think you're right Al, which is why the FL had to wait for QPR to be relegated in order to pursue it.

At some point in the future a Club is going to successfully challenge this in the European Courts. It is a restriction of trade. In no other area of business would a wealthy individual be prevented from investing in a business they own. Wether it would make good business sense is another thing, but in football terms it directly can affect the success of the Club if they are prevented from investing in the squad, Rovers being a good example.

All this rule does is fix in and protect the monopoly of the Big Clubs. It will be there for all to see when Leicester play in the 'Champions' League next season.

Edited by BlueMonday

Maybe the QPR saga changed the rules to allow the Football League to still implement a fine, even if they are in the Premier League, for breaking the rules whilst playing in the Championship?

I dunno, BlueMonday is correct that they had to wait for QPR to be relegated before they could do anything but Bournemouth have also been fined despite still being a Premier League Club

Or Bournemouth have been given a lesser fine than the rules say they should get and therefore are willing to pay it off now to get it over and done with and to avoid any future tribunals or difficulties if they go down.

QPR fought it once they were relegated, but as Bournemouth survived and will be awash with money next season I suppose £8 million now to put an end to it and move on might be a price worth paying.

• 1 year later...

Benitez claims he's "ignoring" takeover speculation though I can't see why players can't train/play and talk about it at the same time. When they go home and watch Tv can't they talk about anything other than what they do on the pitch?

He does however note that FUP may be an issue thanks to UEFA, clubs like United and a hypocritical old sod who apparently broke his leg once. Actually he only mentions UEFA I'm referencing the latter 2.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2017-11-24/newcastle-boss-benitez-ignoring-takeover-speculation/

On 24/11/2017 at 17:04, Vinjay17 said:

Benitez claims he's "ignoring" takeover speculation though I can't see why players can't train/play and talk about it at the same time. When they go home and watch Tv can't they talk about anything other than what they do on the pitch?

He does however note that FUP may be an issue thanks to UEFA, clubs like United and a hypocritical old sod who apparently broke his leg once. Actually he only mentions UEFA I'm referencing the latter 2.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2017-11-24/newcastle-boss-benitez-ignoring-takeover-speculation/

So not mike Ashley then, who's ran that club business wise almost very well. 

Doubt its even been noted on here but taking an automatic promotion spot from Wigan (though I've said I expect them to be promoted) would be an added bonus. Why? Payback on that hypocritical FUP stooge (and not to mention racist old git) Whelan. I don't care what he said in the leadup to Venkys takeover (it didn't look right because they aren't white in his eyes) anyone who supports that garbage is "persona non grata" as far as I'm concerned. Infact even Tim Fallon who called out Lynda Matthewman by name lost any goodwill for that from me because he also supported FUP. How anyone could endorse that without being hypocritical (and downright disrespectful) after what Jack Walker did for this club is beyond me. The wealth of any potential new owner is besides the point its about principle.

Edited by Vinjay17

• 2 months later...

https://www.lcfc.com/news/625538/lcfc--efl-settle-ffp-dispute/press-release

Champagne at the ready at EFL house as Leicester agree to hand over more than £3 million as a settlement for breaking the rules.

The League acknowledges that Leicester did not make any deliberate attempt to break the rules and did so due to differing interpretations of the rules. Yet they're still being punished and are paying the league off. So which one is it?

We've found you guilty of breaking the rules but that did so accidentally due to differing interpretations, you didn't do it deliberately yet assembled a promotion winning squad but we're still going to fine you £3 million. Eh?

Meanwhile the QPR saga rumbles on, and on, and on. How many years is it now?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.economist.com/game-theory/2018/11/30/rich-clubs-are-bullying-footballs-administrators-into-submission

Any club that disagrees with FUP should bombard UEFA with relentless litigation. Some people hate the notion of a European Super League, etc but UEFA will have themselves to blame. Appalling administrators in so many ways.

Edited by Vinjay17

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Revolt over EFL's losses rule 

A group of Championship clubs have formed a working party to examine making changes to the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules.

These rules have led to Queens Park Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday being charged with breaches in the last two years, with Derby County still the subject of an investigation for a related matter involving the sale of Pride Park.

EFL rules permit clubs to record losses totalling £37million over a three-year period, which the majority of Championship clubs want to review.

Any alteration to the rules requires a 75 per cent majority among Championship clubs, so if the working party can agree, they would need the support of only three more clubs to force through the proposed change.