BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leicester City : A Dilemma

I have affection for the place itself but unfortunately, I cannot seem to develop any affection for its football team for some reason. I have some friends who I would describe as proper, ardent Leicester fans and who have been going to watch them for years whether they were in the Premier League, Championship or League One. I would be pleased for them if they won it.

To be honest, I think my biggest underlying issue is a fear that my son might choose to be a Leicester fan rather than a Rovers fan. He's only two so he's certainly not at the decision-making stage yet but it concerns me that a perfect storm seems to be developing - Rovers dropping into the Championship and becoming a team likely to be fighting relegation to League One each season whilst Leicester City are winning the Premier League, competing in the Champions League, firmly establishing themselves as a top-flight club. It was going to be hard enough to persuade my lad to support a team that plays its homes games over 100 miles away but it will be made ten times harder if all his mates at school are Leicester fans.

All I get at the moment is loads of people (who weren't previously interested in Leicester City until this season) telling me that "he should support his local team" and that I should let him support Leicester because "they're on the up". Nightmare.

Your son doesn't have a choice, he's a rover. End of the discussion. If he wants to support Leceister then he can find another home.

Anyhow if he's only 2, by the time he is able to make a decision Rovers could be on the up, and Leicester on the way down.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the FIFA/Football Manager/youtube video of Ronaldo nutmegging 600 people at once/Sky TV/sometimes watch my team on the telly, sometimes forget, local team, followed through thick and thin, endure much mickey-taking without it affecting commitment in the slightest, passionate, genuine love of the game, know every one of their club's good players going way back, would literally cry with joy at winning something - type of fan?

:P

No dilemma at all. I would love to see Leicester win it.

I am fed up of our self perpetuating PL only allowing 4 teams to win it.

The uneven apportioning of TV and gate money only serves to reinforce that. The whole of British football should welcome a more even playing field.

The result of the current policy is that thousands of supporters who should follow their local sides clear off in search of glory 40 mins down the motorway.

I'm torn both ways. I wanted Leicester to hold on on Sunday because I can't stand Whinger and his team and my husband quite likes them - it was his dad's team back in the day, being a North London lad, but I like the fact that when you ask people to name the teams that have won the Prem, very few mention us, because they think it must be big clubs only.

However, to keep the romance of football alive, we need heroes every now and then. Our turn was 1995. It's time for someone else to give kids and adults alike the hope that perhaps their team might just do it and it seems like that could be Leicester. I've got friends who have supported them for years and I'd be delighted for them if Leicester won it, even though yes, it would diminish Rovers achievement.

Liverpool and Spurs still wouldn't have won it, nor would that huge club, Newcastle.

Leicester have 2 players, they are not winning the league. They have done tremendous so far, but you can't win the league with two players. Arsenal are taking it this year.

Amazing how well they're doing starting each game with 9 players fewer than the opposition...

Leicester have 2 players, they are not winning the league. They have done tremendous so far, but you can't win the league with two players. Arsenal are taking it this year.

Which 2 players are those then?

Because every time I've seen them play, they play like a TEAM, which is surely the whole objective of the game. For example, their central defenders have both been immense pretty much all season. Or did you mean those two?

Mahrez and Vardy, the others are decent but I can hardly even see them top 10 without the former two.

SAS. Then factor in Atkins and Wilcox who even Rovers fans didn't really rate.

I'm being slightly mischievous to make my point but to suggest they only have two top players is way off the mark I'm afraid. They have a fantastic goalkeeper and two good centre halves just for starters.

• Backroom

Since I said I wasn't too keen on them winning it they have gone strength to strength they probably owe me one

Quite frankly the ©BIG CLUBS© can sod off for good for me,their greed and hypocrisy makes me sick.Let them have their European Super League...see how long it is before fans of those clubs become disillusioned with it all.

Quite frankly the ©BIG CLUBS© can sod off for good for me,their greed and hypocrisy makes me sick.Let them have their European Super League...see how long it is before fans of those clubs become disillusioned with it all.

Elitist pricks. And yes they can feck off.

Is he really trying to claim Man U 'created football'.

Fans of those Clubs don't make the majority of supporters in Britain. Arm chair fans can get to France as well.

They make me sick.

As always one can only laugh at the ignorance of Americans. With apologies to Steve Moss.

But surely, even looking through the corporate, capitalist lends, the Cinderella story is a massive sell?

Hope Leicester win it just to stick one in the eye of the elitist establishment. Hope that there are no controversial refereeing decisions between now and the end of the season!

As always one can only laugh at the ignorance of Americans. With apologies to Steve Moss.

But surely, even looking through the corporate, capitalist lends, the Cinderella story is a massive sell?

Hope Leicester win it just to stick one in the eye of the elitist establishment. Hope that there are no controversial refereeing decisions between now and the end of the season!

An American. We have hundreds of American fans who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic for the game as it is. And personally I'd say Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers have amongst the very best supporters in the world.

Looking at it from the big club perspective, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea. Combining the biggest clubs from all over Europe to play in a league. It would generate enormous excitement and revenue. And personally I'd be happy for them to do it. Let the rich kids and their hordes of gloryhunters sod off and we'll have an English league that anyone can win every season, sounds brilliant!

rollocks, it would be the death knell of football as we know it, sky wont pump millions into the premierleague if the big clubs are missing, it would have a huge knockon effect with lesser clubs all over europe,

Is football "as we know it" worth saving? Is football "as we know it" sustainable? Football as we know it turns very average footballers into millionaires.

By the way, whisper it quietly, football existed before Sky...

Is football "as we know it" worth saving? Is football "as we know it" sustainable? Football as we know it turns very average footballers into millionaires.

By the way, whisper it quietly, football existed before Sky...

Couldn't say it better myself Stuart.

Football as a spectacle would be better for the loss of sky and the players becoming less godlike and more like a human being. Sky. Has been the ruin of the 'football league' and by that I mean divisions 1-4 of old where players played for the club and not the filthy lucre. Sure they deserved better than minimum wage as the career is short but it has become ludicrous now.

Archived