BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Memories

tomphil

For some reason the Hammers are one of those clubs that always stick in the memory for certain games. Something usually seems to happen or maybe it's just that rancid poor choice of kit that does it !

The standout one for me was from my youth when we beat them 5-4 at Ewood, can't remember the exact year. They were a bit of a yo yo club but playing them was always a big deal and usually drew one of the seasons better crowds. About 10k plus in this one with about a thousand from th'east end.

Rovers stormed into a 4 nil first half lead, don't recall the scorers but I'm sure Garner & Sellars got a couple and maybe a pen by Howard Gayle. They got one back I think then Johnrose made it 5-1 before they came storming back. Think they still had a few big names from that era in their side.

One of my favourite ever games probably and what made it more memorable was their sit down protest when they were losing (West Ham fans always seem to be angry about something). Everyone of them sat down on the freezing Darwen End terrace which went down a treat in the BBE who'd already enjoyed taking the @#/?!

Watching them help us in 1995 against Man U.

The Tevez goal that was offside, a foul and possibly a handball.

They spring to my mind.

Aye they had a player for a few years who was a Rovers legend without ever even playing for us :) Ludooo.....

1966 FA Cup at Upton Park. Shared the coach with Burnley fans. The Clarets were at White Hart Lane and we dropped them off. Not one bit of trouble between the two sets of fans. Rovers held on to tie 3-3, finishing the game with Douglas limping about on the wing at midfield.No subs allowed back then. I think that we beat them in the replay at Ewood, 4-1?

Watching them help us in 1995 against Man U.

First response who would have thought! ;)

Club should invite miklosko and ask for a bus to be named after him as well lol.

As the LT reported yesterday Douglas, Garner, Tugay and "Walker" all had buses named after them.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14282868.Douglas__Garner__Tugay___Walker__Blackburn_buses_named_after_Rovers_legends/?ref=mac

I remember their fans being put right across the upper tier of the Darwen End and them gobbing on us all through the game. Think we won 3-0 with Callum Davidson rocketing in the top right. Also remember quite a few of them hanging around after the game and then legging it when it actually kicked off.

I particularly hate how tax payers money is being used to give them a stadium that they're contributing next to nothing to use.

The standout one for me was from my youth when we beat them 5-4 at Ewood, can't remember the exact year.

25 November 1989.

I also have vivid memories of that game even though I was quite young. I can clearly picture their fans' sit-down protest. They had some good players in their team that day:

Phil Parkes; Steve Potts; Alvin Martin; Gary Strodder; Julian Dicks; Martin Allen; Liam Brady; Alan Devonshire; Stuart Slater; Mark Ward; Justin Fashanu.

5:1 up early in the second half and cruising and yet still having to hang on at the end. Typical Rovers - always managing to make hard work of things!

25 November 1989.

I also have vivid memories of that game even though I was quite young. I can clearly picture their fans' sit-down protest. They had some good players in their team that day:

Phil Parkes; Steve Potts; Alvin Martin; Gary Strodder; Julian Dicks; Martin Allen; Liam Brady; Alan Devonshire; Stuart Slater; Mark Ward; Justin Fashanu.

5:1 up early in the second half and cruising and yet still having to hang on at the end. Typical Rovers - always managing to make hard work of things!

I was also at that game, thanks for date. I remember the hanging on bit, typical. Games like that stick in the memory.

25 November 1989.

Wow, there's some bloody good players amongst that lot ! Could be better than the team they have now on paper.

25 November 1989.

It was such a big deal at the time they brought out a VHS tape of the full game and someone bought it for me for Christmas from the club shop. Still got it but nothing to play it on.

It was such a big deal at the time they brought out a VHS tape of the full game and someone bought it for me for Christmas from the club shop. Still got it but nothing to play it on.

Yes, I remember them bringing out the VHS tape of the full game. I didn't have it but my mum and dad always bought me the season highlights VHS at the end of each season and I remember watching the highlights of the West Ham match over and over again! Whilst I still have all the season highlights VHS tapes, like you I have nothing to play them on. I keep meaning to see if I can take them somewhere to get them transferred onto DVDs.

Yes, I remember them bringing out the VHS tape of the full game. I didn't have it but my mum and dad always bought me the season highlights VHS at the end of each season and I remember watching the highlights of the West Ham match over and over again! Whilst I still have all the season highlights VHS tapes, like you I have nothing to play them on. I keep meaning to see if I can take them somewhere to get them transferred onto DVDs.

If you find anywhere let me know as I've got loads. It would be good to get them transferred as recently a few got damaged by a rainer in. Can't dry em off like dvds lol I was gutted.

Lots of memories - the best the 8-2 win at Upton park on Boxing Day 1962 (or 1963) followed by a 3-1 defeat at home to West Ham a few days later !

4-0 or 4-1 FA Cup replay under the lights at Ewood in 1965-66 was a great night

Been to Upton Park a few times and we've rarely done well there. The 1-1 draw in Steve Kean's first season to secure our PL place was the first point I've seen us get there. Robbie Keane missed a sitter for them near the end.

Wow, there's some bloody good players amongst that lot ! Could be better than the team they have now on paper.

Yep, that was effectively a mid-table first division standard team. How they failed to finish in the play-offs (at the very least) in that 89-90 season I really don't know. Although it probably explains the West Ham fans' protest during the game against Rovers!

FA Cup 4th round replay under the lights at Ewood in 1965/66 season (when relegated from Div1). A 4-1 win with an Andy McEvoy hatrick against a Hammers team including Moore, Peters and Hurst.

Really strange how we could play so well in the Cup that season and so poorly in the League ? The pressure of being in the bottom two all season I suppose.

For sheer drama, the 5-4 in '89
For pure footballing indulgence the 7-1 in 2001
For most important, WHU v Man U in '95. I had to watch on Sky in Glasgow. and the pub was showing both games. Absolute torture but when it finished I was a lone Rover going nuts in the Pub. I swear I got bought so many celebratory drams by the regulars I couldn't drink them all.

Archived