BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Re-Branding Aka Bringing The Pride Back Aka A Fresh Start

Stuart

One of the few positives about Saturday... and believe me, I've been racking my brain (even challenged - and failed - on Monday) to do so... I think it was before the game...

After the faded, depressing, almost-heartbreaking videos reminding us of how good things used to be - automatically forcing fans to confront the contrast to now - there was a short montage of our current players, each with an action clip and a portrait. Ok, some were poor - like the one of Chris Taylor being fouled and clutching his ankle - but the thought was there.

We need a new set of heroes. Fine, heroes are born out of heroic deeds in the main but one of Rovers' main strengths since Williams came in - and even during the darkest days - has been our marketing and branding.

What's wrong with starting to market our current crop to the fans - especially the young ones? And yes, that needs to start with players at shirt signings smiling a bit and looking like they want to be here but let's look to create a new set of heroes. Granted, our most marketable poster boy has departed but the club can develop this but it was a start.

How else could we do it? Maybe a Hanley Burger or a Duffy Dog at the food kiosks? Even something as simple as putting the players up on screen when their name is read out by a vociferous PA announcer.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's safe to say the club no longer has heroes on the pitch,no promising young lads,the apathy and indifference between fans and players has never been as great in my lifetime.I will say it again with ever growing belief that this is THE worst Rovers side in quarter of a century.

Tugay,Friedel,Duff,Dunn,Jansen,Hughes,Cole,Nelson,Bellamy,McCarthy.....oh the memories of what we once had.

:(

SG194. That is exactly the futility I'm fighting with this thread. If all is lost then it's time to pack up and do one thing else with our Saturday afternoons Tuesday nights.

I say that we need to move on and look for new, less fashionable, lower quality heroes. And make the best of it.

Does anyone recall the time when some American fella rocked up on here talking about the Dan Williams (I think) proposed takeover? He said that the plan was to market the club to America as the underdog. The club who were fighting against all odds. He seemed to think they'd lap that up. Anyway, not really sure if or how that relates to this thread, but it always stuck with me that. Struck a chord. I quite like the idea of a real working man's club with small crowds but a never say die attitude. I think people might just go for that. The only trouble I can see I'd getting an eleven out on the pitch witch typifies that.

SG194. That is exactly the futility I'm fighting with this thread. If all is lost then it's time to pack up and do one thing else with our Saturday afternoons Tuesday nights.

I say that we need to move on and look for new, less fashionable, lower quality heroes. And make the best of it.

Know where your are coming from Stu but Jesus H Christ! it's a very bitter pill to swallow at best.

Have you raised the white flag once and for all

YOU HAVE LET THE VENKYS WIN IF YOU DO THAT

There are a few players with a clean slate. Problem is most of them are on loan and in the case of Grimes at least definitely won't join. Grant Hanley has been here a while now perhaps he's the closest. Though I'll admit scoring a winner at Old Trafford boosted my opinion!

Yes I remember the claim (by a member named rivercider who was linked to Dan Williams) that Ford were on board with some hefty sponsorship deal. Most teams are "underdogs" now though mainly thanks to FUP.

Local heroes and one club men are more or less a pre-Sky relic from a bygone era. Due to the short-termism of the modern game and riches involved, there's little chance to idolize players before they are snapped up by one of the big boys. Phil Jones could have gone on to become a cult hero if he stayed at Rovers, and although we like to tell ourselves he was forced out by Kean, most young players these days opt for big-money moves at the first opportunity, to the detriment of their development.

Does anyone recall the time when some American fella rocked up on here talking about the Dan Williams (I think) proposed takeover? He said that the plan was to market the club to America as the underdog. The club who were fighting against all odds. He seemed to think they'd lap that up. Anyway, not really sure if or how that relates to this thread, but it always stuck with me that. Struck a chord. I quite like the idea of a real working man's club with small crowds but a never say die attitude. I think people might just go for that. The only trouble I can see I'd getting an eleven out on the pitch witch typifies that.

Probably would have stood a better chance over there if he had a plan to market it as a hotdog

Quite like the idea of a set of Venky's bobbleheads, just ask them a question (can we have a 50m transfer fund) then flick their heads for the Indian version of Yes

On a serious note read today that Rovers coaches were over in Ballymena with a youth club

http://www.ballymenaguardian.co.uk/articles/news/50586

http://www.ballymenatimes.com/sport/football/youth-football/northend-link-up-with-blackburn-rovers-gets-off-to-successful-start-1-7226620

One thing that the club still has going for it is it is still regarded as a friendly family orientated club in the wider world and with incentives like the above , feet on ground ops like that get the club name out

• Backroom

One of the few positives about Saturday... and believe me, I've been racking my brain (even challenged - and failed - on Monday) to do so... I think it was before the game...

After the faded, depressing, almost-heartbreaking videos reminding us of how good things used to be - automatically forcing fans to confront the contrast to now - there was a short montage of our current players, each with an action clip and a portrait. Ok, some were poor - like the one of Chris Taylor being fouled and clutching his ankle - but the thought was there.

We need a new set of heroes. Fine, heroes are born out of heroic deeds in the main but one of Rovers' main strengths since Williams came in - and even during the darkest days - has been our marketing and branding.

What's wrong with starting to market our current crop to the fans - especially the young ones? And yes, that needs to start with players at shirt signings smiling a bit and looking like they want to be here but let's look to create a new set of heroes. Granted, our most marketable poster boy has departed but the club can develop this but it was a start.

How else could we do it? Maybe a Hanley Burger or a Duffy Dog at the food kiosks? Even something as simple as putting the players up on screen when their name is read out by a vociferous PA announcer.

They do that last one every home game! I think it'd be cooler to have an action shot accompany their names than just them stood there. Cheaper for the club too, as it's one less day of photoshoot.

I'd have the players encouraged to sign stuff for a few mins at the end of the warm-up. Kids would love that chance to get stuff signed.

Probably would have stood a better chance over there if he had a plan to market it as a hotdog

Quite like the idea of a set of Venky's bobbleheads, just ask them a question (can we have a 50m transfer fund) then flick their heads for the Indian version of Yes

article-0-160626C1000005DC-295_634x544.j

Getting the players to refer to the team as "Rovers" is a good start. Its clear the club used "one rovers" for a reason. The problem is that staff/owners haven't been forceful enough and pretty much demanded that they refer to the club as Rovers. Its not asking an awful lot is it?

The club could turn off the awful musak before the start of games and let fans generate their won atmosphere like they always used to. Radio 5 Live were complaining about it on Sunday.

and when goals are scored wtf is that about. We commented on music before game likking any atmosphere being generated.

The idea is sound Stu, but probably needs to wait till summer. Half the squad are out of contract at the end of the season, and the new signings might not end up permanent.

Hopefully PL will sign more marketable players in the 're build' and that would be the ideal time to start a focused PR/marketing push.

Currently I'd say, Hanley (Capt Braveheart ?) Marshall (Wing Wizard?) Gomez (Midfield El Maestro?) Watt (Mega Watt the young maverick?) are our only

marketable players, and thats probably stretching it.

I have been watching Rovers for over 40 years and can honestly say that I have never felt more apathy towards the club as I do at the moment,it doesn't feel as if anyone at the club gives a stuff about the fans, or they are just paying lip service to us.

I don't think we are the only club suffering from this, as I think there is a general feeling that the way we are jerked around by Sky and BT who can shuffle fixtures around when they want, and the ridiculous amounts of money being asked for tickets by some is leading to a gradual decline in the hard core support of many clubs.

I have just had 2 weekends away for different reasons, and have watched the games between St.Pauli and Leipzig, and Standard Liege versus Charleroi, neither of which I have any affinity to, but I can say that the atmosphere and spectacle at both games was a vastly different experience to Ewood in the present climate.

The love and the passion for the clubs and the badge was in evidence all around, and especially at St.Pauli, where the fans have taken the meaning of support to a whole new level in my opinion, just try youtube and you will see what I mean.

It seems to me that our match day experience now, is watered down to such an extent, that we have forgotten how to support and just sit there and expect the worse, mind you when your run out music is Coldplay it can only get better from there!!

Where is the big flag being pulled across the Blackburn End?

Where is the rivalry of the various stands being asked to give us a song?

When is the loyalty of having a season ticket rewarded?

Why do the beer mats in the Blues Bar not sport the club crest anymore?

Why is the Peter Jackson man of the match usually awarded to someone making his debut?

When will we ever play our best team 2 weeks running?

Will we ever get to use our Premier league pledge from Venky's?

Never mind, at least I have been around for our rise,peak and now demise, it's the young ones I feel sorry for!!

I have been watching Rovers for over 40 years and can honestly say that I have never felt more apathy towards the club as I do at the moment,it doesn't feel as if anyone at the club gives a stuff about the fans, or they are just paying lip service to us.

Not helped by the manager I'm afraid - pleading for a full house at Ewood for the cup tie and then fielding a weakened team was very cynical.

He has to go a long way to beat Steve Kean though -who admitted to not wanting to win a league cup tie at Cardiff a few years ago. That trip cost me over £200 all in - I'm still waiting for a refund.

I don't think we are the only club suffering from this, as I think there is a general feeling that the way we are jerked around by Sky and BT who can shuffle fixtures around when they want, and the ridiculous amounts of money being asked for tickets by some is leading to a gradual decline in the hard core support of many clubs.

I have just had 2 weekends away for different reasons, and have watched the games between St.Pauli and Leipzig, and Standard Liege versus Charleroi, neither of which I have any affinity to, but I can say that the atmosphere and spectacle at both games was a vastly different experience to Ewood in the present climate.

The love and the passion for the clubs and the badge was in evidence all around, and especially at St.Pauli, where the fans have taken the meaning of support to a whole new level in my opinion, just try youtube and you will see what I mean.

It seems to me that our match day experience now, is watered down to such an extent, that we have forgotten how to support and just sit there and expect the worse, mind you when your run out music is Coldplay it can only get better from there!!

Why is the Peter Jackson man of the match usually awarded to someone making his debut?

Never mind, at least I have been around for our rise,peak and now demise, it's the young ones I feel sorry for!!

Good post.

I think with the mass exodus out of Ewood we are left with three types of fan (obviously I generalise): the hardcore fan who just wants to watch his football, collect his match programme and pop it straight into the clear plastic wallet; and the angry fan who is frustrated with life in general and needs an outlet. The third type is the one that you appear to fall into (forgive me) - an almost masochistic interest in what is going on, heart isn't really in it but can't seem to give up the habit.

What we need to do is get the youth back by giving them heroes - even on a small scale - why do people think I didn't want Rhodes to be sold. There are very few heroes but we need them now - even cult heroes. I remember at school a few lads doing an assembly (about 25 years ago now) and it was the gist of 'not losing faith'. The skit was that Rovers were getting beat and fans were leaving and in injury time Lenny Johnrose popped up with two goals and we won. Most of the kids had no clue who he was but to a few 15 year old lads, he meant the world. Even if it was a much smaller world.

I relate to a lot of that, but is having a ST hundreds of pounds cheaper than most other clubs, with a pledge of getting one for £50 for Premier League football if we somehow pulled off a Dyche-esque promotion charge not enough for ST holders?

The fact that if a non ST holder went to every game it would cost them well over £500 not showing what you gain as a ST holder?

'But, but they are doing 3 games for £30' GOOD! More of it please.

Archived