BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 14 Years Ago Today 24Th Feb

One thing that hasn't got worse, the commentators on Rovers Player! I remember having the game taped on that and ITV at the time and only ever watch the ITV one back, Ron Atkinson seems to be twice as enthusiastic and chuffed for us as our own media. I mean I don't know who the main commentator is on that but my god is he dreary. "Cole with the chance, Andy Cole's put Rovers ahead again." We've just scored the potential winner at a cup final and he makes it sound like the last goal in a 6-0 drubbing against a non-league team in a pre-season friendly.

One thing that hasn't got worse, the commentators on Rovers Player! I remember having the game taped on that and ITV at the time and only ever watch the ITV one back, Ron Atkinson seems to be twice as enthusiastic and chuffed for us as our own media. I mean I don't know who the main commentator is on that but my god is he dreary. "Cole with the chance, Andy Cole's put Rovers ahead again." We've just scored the potential winner at a cup final and he makes it sound like the last goal in a 6-0 drubbing against a non-league team in a pre-season friendly.

I watched it back not long ago on tape and was struck by Atkinson actually being the only one with any praise for us at all, almost got the impression he wanted us to win. Contrast to virtually every other presenter or guest involved who seemed to think all Spurs had to do was show up. A bit like the West Ham scenario on Sunday.

We @#/? off most of the country and media by upsetting Man Yoo's applecart then we @#/? off half of the big smoke by beating Tottenham........happy days !

No wonder not many like us though and have revelled in seeing us demise the last 5 yrs. At times we must have been the most derided club since the old Wimbledon upset everyone regularly although Wigan stole that thunder a bit. Would be nice if we could unite as fans and show a bit of the Millwall 'we don't care' spirit :rover:

I watched it back not long ago on tape and was struck by Atkinson actually being the only one with any praise for us at all, almost got the impression he wanted us to win. Contrast to virtually every other presenter or guest involved who seemed to think all Spurs had to do was show up. A bit like the West Ham scenario on Sunday.

We @#/? off most of the country and media by upsetting Man Yoo's applecart then we @#/? off half of the big smoke by beating Tottenham........happy days !

No wonder not many like us though and have revelled in seeing us demise the last 5 yrs. At times we must have been the most derided club since the old Wimbledon upset everyone regularly although Wigan stole that thunder a bit. Would be nice if we could unite as fans and show a bit of the Millwall :rover:

What on earth are you taking about..?

What an amazing day out!!

Me and my mate blagged a lift with his dad and brother who were driving down (after bagging 20 quid "coach money" from the mother - 1st result of the day!) His dad's brother is also the spit of Shay Given and Irish which amused me no end!!

We spent the entire journey listening to Talkshite banging on about Spurs winning the game before we'd hit dinner time!! Me and mate we're quietly confident all day about a result but neither of us dared say it out loud so we wouldn't jinx it!

We arrived in Cardiff and jumped on one of those park and ride buses. Low and behold his dad knew the bus driver!! Can't take the Irish anywhere without knowing everyone!

We were ushered into a corner of an Irish bar were we proceeded to get mildly drunk off 5 pints and headed into the relatively new Millennium Stadium.

I remember hearing the line up and Hughes being named in midfield!! Genius I thought, don't let them play through us.

The entire team was immense, even Nils-Eric!! Game was a bit of a blur and can only really remember our goals and Friedels saves!

When the final whistle went our lot went nuts. I was stood on my seat singing and dancing and then spectacularly ended up 3 rows down due to delirium and maybe lager.

Probably lager.

On the way back it took us an hour to travel a mile and was bedlam as everyone took the same route. We stopped off at a petrol station 2 hours later in the middle of nowhere and who comes in, Craig Hignett with his little lad on his shoulders beaming from ear to ear with a winners medal round his neck. We were amazed how he got there at the same time as us! No selfies were took and we exchanged handshakes - the way it should be!! (but that's another subject!). Got home around 10 o'clock and crashed flat out.

You'll never take my memories.

The best day of my life on par with beating the scum 5-0. I will never forget my wife's face when she asked me what the best day of my life was whilst holding our 6 week old bby girl and I gave her that answer. Blood, crying, feeling useless. Yeah much better than beating burnley and winning the cup love

Archived