BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mk Dons At Home

Brown has been on the cusp of being a cult hero. He hasn't got any ability but puts in the effort. Today however his inability nearly cost us being dragged into a fight to stay up. Fans are nervous and we know playing him is costing us.

Also his wages are relevant. At our level we pay his wages and he is not up to it. He'll have made at least 500k after tax from his stay at Ewood. Not bad work if you ask me.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The changing point was Brown going off and Jackson coming on. We looked to get forward because he and Bennett did so at every opportunity.

As much as it hurts people, due to sheer lack of effort, we were playing with 10 men for 60 minutes today. Graham looks to wait for the perfect ball, if Brown stands watching then we are carrying two players. And to think that people used to moan when we only had Rhodes up front. All he did was score goals! :rolleyes:

But Stuart, Rhodes wasn't playing and we scored three! Something that you and others would have deemed impossible! :mellow:

How long before the mad monk Vukcevic gets legendary status?

He refused a pay off from Rovers because it clashed with his religious beliefs, which makes him ok in my book.

On a similar humanitarian theme; today's mascot, a boy of five or six, momentarily lost sight of captain Hanley on the pitch just prior to the toss up, and went into one of those panicky moments that I am sure we all recall from childhood. Ben Marshall spotted the boy's distress and went to him, offering some words of comfort and reassurance. He then trailed the youngster around the rest of the team, who, to a man, were kind and hospitable to him. It was a brief but touching sight and it made me feel proud of our players, particularly Marshall.

Regarding the game, I think Bennett is going to prove useful, a kind of in form Conway, and I also think Lenihan is better suited to the defensive base of the diamond, with Evans ( who has quite quick feet and is tidy in possession) at the tip. We have to secure Gomez for next season and I think Grimes could prove interesting. Hanley was again strong today and Spurr did well ( I'm not generally a fan of Tommy).

I think Brown is finished here and, having observed Tony Watt closely at half time etc, I worry about his mental well being. Strange, strange boy!

Not sure how you can jeer someone for a lack of ability. That seems especially crass and mean-spirited to me. It's not like Brown's fluffing chances on purpose, he's simply not up to the task required of him, but that's the manager's responsibility for putting him in the firing line.

He scored 9 for a relegated Doncaster side the season before he came here, so we're obviously not talking about some Ali Dia style con man or unproven youngster. I'm not saying he deserves the abuse he's getting, but he clearly has the ability to score at least one in four in this league.

He refused a pay off from Rovers because it clashed with his religious beliefs, which makes him ok in my book.

On a similar humanitarian theme; today's mascot, a boy of five or six, momentarily lost sight of captain Hanley on the pitch just prior to the toss up, and went into one of those panicky moments that I am sure we all recall from childhood. Ben Marshall spotted the boy's distress and went to him, offering some words of comfort and reassurance. He then trailed the youngster around the rest of the team, who, to a man, were kind and hospitable to him. It was a brief but touching sight and it made me feel proud of our players, particularly Marshall.

Regarding the game, I think Bennett is going to prove useful, a kind of in form Conway, and I also think Lenihan is better suited to the defensive base of the diamond, with Evans ( who has quite quick feet and is tidy in possession) at the tip. We have to secure Gomez for next season and I think Grimes could prove interesting. Hanley was again strong today and Spurr did well ( I'm not generally a fan of Tommy).

I think Brown is finished here and, having observed Tony Watt closely at half time etc, I worry about his mental well being. Strange, strange boy!

What do you mean regarding watt? Strange?

Couldn't make the game today so can't comment on the performance or the booing. Interesting to hear differing views and sounds like I missed an eventful match. Watched the brief highlights and what a touch of class from Gomez to win the game. Worrying that it sounds as if we struggled at times against one of the poorer sides in this league but great that we grabbed the win in the end.

Want to say how impressive I thought Lenihan was, once again. It seems as though whenever the team drops their heads or don't put the graft in, Lenihan is there directing players and committing to everything 100%. Was superb when shifted to the anchor role, offering MK dons no time on the ball forcing them out wide. Whilst not technically superb, I feel as though he could be a pivotal player for us in the final run of games.

Also impressive was Elliott Bennett, seems to be getting better with every game he plays, ridiculously hard worker and great crosser of the ball, whether tracking back and defending or in attack he seems to be absolutely everywhere.

Matt Grimes looked impressive, to come on at a crucial time with a restless crowd and show the composure he did, he looked well beyond his years and changed the game when he came on.

As for the Chris Brown stuff, I don't personally go for abusing players but I can see where the frustration comes from. I think people lash out at Brown as he epitomises a serious dip in squad quality in recent years and he's an easy target.

The changing point was Brown going off and Jackson coming on. We looked to get forward because he and Bennett did so at every opportunity.

As much as it hurts people, due to sheer lack of effort, we were playing with 10 men for 60 minutes today. Graham looks to wait for the perfect ball, if Brown stands watching then we are carrying two players. And to think that people used to moan when we only had Rhodes up front. All he did was score goals! :rolleyes:

We had equalised whilst Brown was on the pitch, and after Evans was replaced.

The goals came from midfield, hence the changing point was the re-organisation in midfield. Jackson was as ineffective as Brown.

I'm not trying to say we where good up top, as we weren't, but it isn't Brown and Grahams fault Rhodes isnt here, that down to JR wanting out.

[quote name="TheWeasel" post="1622465" timestamp="1456621056

Matt Grimes looked impressive, to come on at a crucial time with a restless crowd and show the composure he did, he looked well beyond his years and changed the game when he came on.

Now I'm confused. There's a prolific poster on here who says that Grimes is 'dross'.

Pretty tasteless and irrelevant comparison, there's no evidence whatsoever Brown is suffering from the same sort of medical condition as the two people you mention is there?

Even if you are insinuating players can be driven to do something like that by the crowdI think that that is an exceptionally rare occurrence and fans are entitled to assume that players are of normal mental fortitude and are self aware enough to realise that if they don't perform, particularly over a prolonged period, they will attract criticism.

Indeed the odds of Brown committing suicide over some abuse must be 000000000000000000000000000000000.-1%. Seriously are we so PC now that fans can't unleash frustration at someone just incase they might kill themselves? Depression is a terrible thing but please don't come up with something so ridiculous and unrealistic. Cases like those DJs in Australia are so rare and they didn't deserve to suffer what happened to them just for a prank.

If there's anything I can understand its frustration so not going to condemn the fans for being unable to control their feelings. I've never really booed individual players for lack of ability or if they put in effort. There are exceptions like Alan Fettis (and believe me you had to be really bad to get criticised by me in 1998) so its not like I've been perfect in that regard. It does come across as bullying though when you choose an easy target. In Steve Kean's case he deserved to be bullied (and sociopaths like him don't care about being hated) but there is some truth that he was the easiest target. The comments about Brian Douglas were interesting and I've certainly defended Jason Wilcox (not comparing him to Brown) as a particular example of unwarranted abuse.

Indeed. At least say what you're on about.

Didn't Rovers win anyway? Can't we talk about that instead of Brown for a bit?

Did anyone see someone after the game on Bolton Road limping and favoring his knee a bit? Looked like he got "brushed" by a car people thought that was pretty funny lol. (obviously wasn't badly hurt just a bit sore I think!) Thought we were gonna see some pedestrian/car "road rage" fight for a moment!

First half Mk dons ran us ragged with swift attacking play (and as usual, us helping out by not closing down, backing off ect). The team were rightly boo'd off after an abysmal display.

Second half started the same but, with one substitution and another, the game changed.

At the end of the game, I didn't see many players acknowledge the crowd.

The Brown discussion is a hard one. There's no doubt he tries but, just like Henley, he's been proven to be not good enough.

First half Mk dons ran us ragged with swift attacking play (and as usual, us helping out by not closing down, backing off ect). The team were rightly boo'd off after an abysmal display.

Second half started the same but, with one substitution and another, the game changed.

At the end of the game, I didn't see many players acknowledge the crowd.

The Brown discussion is a hard one. There's no doubt he tries but, just like Henley, he's been proven to be not good enough.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bloody hell I don't know which game you were watching but it wasn't the same as me!

My daughter, who hasn't been to a game for a while, was very surprised the team didn't acknowledge the crowd at the end. It's a small thing but important. Fans, even those who may have booed, want to be able to show their appreciation, particularly after a win, and to see the entire team stay in the middle of the pitch and then head for the tunnel isn't what we're used to

My daughter, who hasn't been to a game for a while, was very surprised the team didn't acknowledge the crowd at the end. It's a small thing but important. Fans, even those who may have booed, want to be able to show their appreciation, particularly after a win, and to see the entire team stay in the middle of the pitch and then head for the tunnel isn't what we're used to

Might Brown's teammates have been upset with the supporters booing him?

He doesn't get booed, this is the thing.

I'm repeating myself but the crowd reaction to him is tame.

This is the tough world of professional sport where even decent teams sometimes get booed off by their own fans.

The booing at halftime for the team was entirely justified and obviously did them no harm at all.

We sit near the tunnel so clearly see the players faces as they come off. Spurr and I think it was Graham both walked straight off and down the tunnel with stoney faces. The majority of the team acknowledged those fans who, like us, had waited to clap them off. I realise no one moved towards the BBE to acknowledge the crowd there.

When Brown was subbed he didn't show any emotion though I'm sure he could hear the jeering.

This wasn't a great performance but we enjoyed our afternoon and went home happy. That'll do me at the moment because it's as much as we can expect from this side.

There were occasions when players were moaned at for good passes their teammates failed to anticipate - happened to both Brown and Spurr. I'd give fans the benefit of the doubt on that one as it's difficult to see properly from every angle.

Brown's treatment at being subbed was an embarrassing disgrace which I hope I don't hear repeated but given its happened once it will happen again.

I think Spurr, a good professional every time he plays, walked off in disgust at the treatment Brown received and he did to a much lesser extent.

Henley got roasted every time the Dons went down the left, the first three times in perhaps five minutes. How that didn't cost us the game I don't know.

Well he shouldn't hit the top tier or corner flag then from 6 yards out.. I didn't boo him I ranted for him to go up the tunnel and never come back , he really is that bad.

So players now just want smoke blowing up their arses and don't criticise any of the prescious cherubs.

Also these players should check recent history and how venkys have ruined our club and that there is going to releases of tension and frustration .

We sit near the tunnel so clearly see the players faces as they come off. Spurr and I think it was Graham both walked straight off and down the tunnel with stoney faces. The majority of the team acknowledged those fans who, like us, had waited to clap them off. I realise no one moved towards the BBE to acknowledge the crowd there.

When Brown was subbed he didn't show any emotion though I'm sure he could hear the jeering.

This wasn't a great performance but we enjoyed our afternoon and went home happy. That'll do me at the moment because it's as much as we can expect from this side.

There were occasions when players were moaned at for good passes their teammates failed to anticipate - happened to both Brown and Spurr. I'd give fans the benefit of the doubt on that one as it's difficult to see properly from every angle.

Brown's treatment at being subbed was an embarrassing disgrace which I hope I don't hear repeated but given its happened once it will happen again.

I think Spurr, a good professional every time he plays, walked off in disgust at the treatment Brown received and he did to a much lesser extent.

Henley got roasted every time the Dons went down the left, the first three times in perhaps five minutes. How that didn't cost us the game I don't know.

Thanks to a brilliant free kick from Gomez simple as that. Henley's poor defending is largely down to him of course but other players were a little slow to assist him too. After the equaliser they were much quicker to cover for him otherwise they might have equalised again. Has to go though in summer his vulnerability couldn't have been more clear. Imagine Damien Duff in his heyday up against Henley yesterday he probably would have been taken off after 10 minutes! (if it had been from the beginning with a full subs bench)

In which case Graham should be shown the door back to Sunderland where he can return to getting dogs abuse up there. I am betting that the stick he got was a damn site worse than that given to Brown.

'Professional' players would not walk off and ignore a section of the crowd. They would acknowledge the crowd regardless of their feelings. It's the equivalent if sticking 2 fingers up.

It doesn't do much to dispel the idea that this lot are a petulant bunch of wasters. Hanley aside, our only shining lights are loanees who probably won't be here next year. There is little love between players and fans these days. Only way for that to change is to consistently win games. We need players with the mental toughness to do that. A team of Todds,Savages and Dioufs.

I didn't boo him I ranted for him to go up the tunnel and never come back , he really is that bad.

So players now just want smoke blowing up their arses and don't criticise any of the prescious cherubs.

I think that's the line in the sand ABBEY, if a players having a poor game - they are going to have to accept people shouting their opinions. I don't think they should have to accept being "wished" to be sent off, cheered when substituted and many of their touches booed.

11 players are responsible for the performance and all of them looked extremely poor in the first 45.

I can understand players getting frustrated with fans, but I don't accept this walking off without acknowledging them. It's their responsibility to meet even the most basic "try hard" performance level, and the irony was Brown was one of the few I feel always puts effort in.

Excluding Brown; Bennett, Gomez, Evans, Lenihan, Marshall, Spurr, Duffy and Graham all looked poor at times yesferday. Jackson, Henley and Grimes had indifferent impacts.

The result is key, but I still felt crap coming away from Ewood. A 1/3 full stadium, a horrible atmosphere and a suspect performance against a poor team.

When will the frustration end?

Well I can I can only speak for where I sit but the off off chants where light hearted and fans laughing so to speak as they did . Like you say don't perform get the bird .

More cards than goals does he want Chris brown is superman chants . As for Graham's alleged sulking ... Another rich pampered journey man.

This season cannot end soon enough, I also worry for attendances next year if lambert isn't given a considerable transfer kitty for next season as we need something to get the crowd back on board. Everybody in the crowd is hurting, hurting at how far we have fallen, hurting that this was all so avoidable.

Chris Browns treatment does not paint the fans in a good light but I think lots of the stick he gets is because he is tangible example of how far the quality of every element of the club has fallen. I'm sure he is a nice chap, the players seem to like him but he wouldn't be a 20 goal a year chap in the Accy combination, whilst he does "the dirty work" quite reasonably I expect a footballer to be able to reasonably head a ball goal wards when well placed in the box and not shoulder it completely in the opposite direction to which you are aiming (twice yesterday) or wallop the ball into row z when the goal is at your mercy.

I think fan appreciation works both ways, the Ewood experience is not very nice currently in fact I'd say over the season we may actually average about 2 songs a game at home so I certainly don't expect the players to come and thank the fans at the end of the game but I would also expect them to see why the fans are so @#/? off too with the level of performance we have seen so often at home.

Hard to put my finger on it. I wasn't implying anything sinister but he seems quite odd to me. He is the sort of player I like to watch so he is someone I observe closely at half time etc. Perhaps he is just eccentric or immature but I commented to my companion that he looked like a drunken fan who had conned his way onto the pitch for a warm up.

He is a non conformist during drills and looks the rebellious type. I perceive some underlying reason as to his lack of game time recently and I suspect he won't be here much longer.

Just a hunch...

I think that's the line in the sand ABBEY, if a players having a poor game - they are going to have to accept people shouting their opinions. I don't think they should have to accept being "wished" to be sent off, cheered when substituted and many of their touches booed.

11 players are responsible for the performance and all of them looked extremely poor in the first 45.

I can understand players getting frustrated with fans, but I don't accept this walking off without acknowledging them. It's their responsibility to meet even the most basic "try hard" performance level, and the irony was Brown was one of the few I feel always puts effort in.

Excluding Brown; Bennett, Gomez, Evans, Lenihan, Marshall, Spurr, Duffy and Graham all looked poor at times yesferday. Jackson, Henley and Grimes had indifferent impacts.

The result is key, but I still felt crap coming away from Ewood. A 1/3 full stadium, a horrible atmosphere and a suspect performance against a poor team.

When will the frustration end?

Tony Pullis talks sense reflecting on the Chris Brunt incident.

"If the supporters want to boo and moan, they have a right to, the players accept that," Pulis said. "But you can't accept throwing stuff at players."

That is where the line is drawn. No player should be physically abused in any way, shape or form. All the players get is a bit of ironic jeering or cheering and a bit of pantomime booing.

Archived