BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mk Dons At Home

Try reading the book about Robert Enke. You simply don't know what is going through a person's mind or how they react to the world around them. It was hardly Brown's fault that he picked up injuries that required operations after joining the Rovers.

Think Brown has a history with knee trouble. Did our much fabled medics miss something at his medical ?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some embarrassing posts on this thread at one nil down. Certainties for relegation apparently.

Well done to all concerned. Brilliant. No easy games when under pressure for a result and the home fans getting restless. Another three goals. Dynamite.

Eeieeieeiooo...

This is pretty much my take on it too, I have only just taken the time to read through the posts as I pretty much went straight to bed with my horlicks when i got back from the game last night, once I'd posted my wee rant at what I saw as poor behaviour from Rovers fans. The posts you refer to OOJW were certainly mirrored by the comments and general atmosphere in the Darwen End yesterday.

Can i also mention the young Bolton fans who we met at Tebay services as they trudged back to their home in Hexham after what must have been a gut wrenching defeat for them. Very knowledgeable, very respectful towards us as Rovers fans and very confident that Bolton and Rovers would both find a way back to the top table eventually. Not sure I share their confidence (in either club) but discussing football with like minded supporters of other clubs always adds tremendously to the day out for me.

Now, do we put the youth team out against Boro or what?

A very welcome win.

The facts are we are creating chances, scoring goals and we do seem to carry a bigger goal threat than we have done with Rhodes this season.

Clearly, a large number of Rovers' fans don't think Brown is up to scratch and neither do I. However, from what I have seen of Brown, he puts the effort in and is committed to the cause when playing. It is not Brown's fault Rovers supposedly agreed to pay him in the region of half a million £+ a season over the course of 2 years. It is not Brown's fault that his employers choose to select him to play. A lack of effort and a player not giving of his best are unforgiveable, a limited ability is not a crime.

Rovers' recovery road will be long and winding with twists and turns to come but I believe the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer an express train hurtling towards us to smash us to oblivion.

Just back in Glasgow.

First half we were okay for 20 minutes then a couple of passes went astray and Brown missed that chance and you could sense the crowd turning. I then witnessed something that i feel sums up a sizeable proportion of the know-nowts that go to Ewood. A ball was hoofed up the park and Brown won the header, but no colleague (and I'm especially meaning Graham here) anticipated his flick-on and the ball ran harmlessly through to the keeper. A rather loud mouthed fella sat in front of me shouted "Brown, you're f'ing shyte, wtf was that?". All the fella did was win a header and he was subjected to dogs' abuse from his own fans. I don't care if he's the worst player ever to pull on a blue and white shirt, if you understand so little of the game to blame him for that particular incident then God help us!

The rubbish being said by Rovers fans at half time was also astonishing - that game was eminently winnable (as was ultimately proved) but you would think we were actually relegated listening to the nonsense being spouted on the Darwen End concourse! The problem is, you could actually feel that atmosphere in the stadium from about 5 minutes before they scored their first goal.

Lambert obviously tweaked a couple of things at half time and probably gave them a rocket and it was much better second half and I thought we were worthy winners in the end without ever looking at our best.

We won't be relegated but FFS people get behind your team when they need you to - its easy to clap and cheer when we are winning, but they need your support when things aren't going so well too. The Darwen End by and large was a disgrace today as far as I'm concerned.

Spot on, if more of us had this attitude we might actually lift some of the gloom and encourage rather than berate the players when something else goes wrong.

By the end of the 90 minutes was it (4-1-3-2)

Steele

Henley Duffy Hanley Spurr

Lenihan

Bennett Gomez Grimes

Jackson Graham

?

With Marshall back for Henley that may be a line up to start with on Tuesday.

I don't know what's gone wrong with Henley. When he first came into the team a few years ago I was mightily impressed. Yesterday he looked all at sea. Like he'd never played there before. He didn't know wether to stick or twist.

First rule of full back play. Don't let your direct opponent turn with the ball. You've got to get closer to your opponent. Allow him to gather the ball and run at you and you can have a problem. You need to be close enough to give him second thoughts about trying to turn with the ball but not too close that he can nick it past you and run on. Positional play is everything out there, there's a lot of space to cover.

I agree he didn't get much help from his team mates but sometimes that's how it is. It's you and the winger, you need to win the battle. You've got to take the bull by the horns and try to dominate your opponent physically.

The changing point was Brown going off and Jackson coming on. We looked to get forward because he and Bennett did so at every opportunity.

As much as it hurts people, due to sheer lack of effort, we were playing with 10 men for 60 minutes today. Graham looks to wait for the perfect ball, if Brown stands watching then we are carrying two players. And to think that people used to moan when we only had Rhodes up front. All he did was score goals! :rolleyes:

We did score 3 though, yes? 2nd successive home game (league). When did we last do that with Rhodesy playing Stuart?

On Brown, is it in the stars for him to score the winner vs the inbreds? I am sure we all gave a thought to Jordan when Brown missed his chances. The Rhodes thing rumbles on.

This is pretty much my take on it too, I have only just taken the time to read through the posts as I pretty much went straight to bed with my horlicks when i got back from the game last night, once I'd posted my wee rant at what I saw as poor behaviour from Rovers fans. The posts you refer to OOJW were certainly mirrored by the comments and general atmosphere in the Darwen End yesterday.

Can i also mention the young Bolton fans who we met at Tebay services as they trudged back to their home in Hexham after what must have been a gut wrenching defeat for them. Very knowledgeable, very respectful towards us as Rovers fans and very confident that Bolton and Rovers would both find a way back to the top table eventually. Not sure I share their confidence (in either club) but discussing football with like minded supporters of other clubs always adds tremendously to the day out for me.

Now, do we put the youth team out against Boro or what?

Mm, interesting question.

There's some very odd posters on here. Giving Rhodes loads of stick for "holding the side back" but then going on to praise a player as bad as Brown.

Every credit to you Brown, and eff off Rhodes for all those goals you scored. Weird.

It certainly is. But apparently I'm obsessed/mourning/wrong.

It seems that we have swapped Rhodes for Gomez. We are still a one-man team but just not as prolific. (Cue last 10 games comments).

It looks as though Lambert's game is to get the team to play higher up the field which isn't a bad thing but we need forwards who can actually score a goal in every three games. Brown is not that man. Graham - the jury is out if he has the motivation. Watt, question marks. Jackson, probably the best of a bad bunch but who knows if he can score goals. I still think that Lambert's midfield would have suited Rhodes' game.

Hard to put my finger on it. I wasn't implying anything sinister but he seems quite odd to me. He is the sort of player I like to watch so he is someone I observe closely at half time etc. Perhaps he is just eccentric or immature but I commented to my companion that he looked like a drunken fan who had conned his way onto the pitch for a warm up.

He is a non conformist during drills and looks the rebellious type. I perceive some underlying reason as to his lack of game time recently and I suspect he won't be here much longer.

Just a hunch...

He looked happy and a bit of a joker. You might have missed that Ward managed to miss from about a yard after he sent a cross in and that seemed to make him take the Micky a bit.

It certainly is. But apparently I'm obsessed/mourning/wrong.

It seems that we have swapped Rhodes for Gomez. We are still a one-man team but just not as prolific. (Cue last 10 games comments).

It looks as though Lambert's game is to get the team to play higher up the field which isn't a bad thing but we need forwards who can actually score a goal in every three games. Brown is not that man. Graham - the jury is out if he has the motivation. Watt, question marks. Jackson, probably the best of a bad bunch but who knows if he can score goals. I still think that Lambert's midfield would have suited Rhodes' game.

Watching brown is depressing. I've been in Jack Walker last couple of games, and even in there, there is a lot of superlatives when his name is on the team sheet. I would rather we play with an extra midfielder than have brown up front, he does nothing. I've no doubt if we play two up top against Burnley then we will be torn apart. We need to crowd that midfield and get Gomez on the ball as much as possible.

Watching brown is depressing. I've been in Jack Walker last couple of games, and even in there, there is a lot of superlatives when his name is on the team sheet. I would rather we play with an extra midfielder than have brown up front, he does nothing. I've no doubt if we play two up top against Burnley then we will be torn apart. We need to crowd that midfield and get Gomez on the ball as much as possible.

I agree, 4-1-4-1 next Saturday.

"He's done well for us since the sale of Rhodes, - he's definitely made a difference when he's played. "

???

a goal scoring striker makes a difference not a non scoring one.

No Abbey, a goal scoring team makes a difference - and thanks to the players from one to eleven now working their socks off, we've scored 11 goals (I think?) in 6 games. Seeing that you're obsessed with goals - the fact is were scoring more (and playing better albeit it still inconsistently), since we sold him. If Lambert can keep this approach to games and add more quality, we can only improve.

Do you mean 'superlatives'... or 'expletives'? :unsure:

Try reading the book about Robert Enke. You simply don't know what is going through a person's mind or how they react to the world around them. It was hardly Brown's fault that he picked up injuries that required operations after joining the Rovers.

I could be wrong but wasn't Brown crocked when we got him. If so the responsibility lies with the management team at that time.

No Abbey, a goal scoring team makes a difference - and thanks to the players from one to eleven now working their socks off, we've scored 11 goals (I think?) in 6 games. Seeing that you're obsessed with goals - the fact is were scoring more (and playing better albeit it still inconsistently), since we sold him. If Lambert can keep this approach to games and add more quality, we can only improve.

Stats, damned lies and... whatever. I'll cut it another way:

5 goals in 9 games, and 6 goals in the last two at home - after Lambert changed the colour of the nets.

Pick the bones out of that one.

And would it have helped Rhodes? :unsure:

Hard to put my finger on it. I wasn't implying anything sinister but he seems quite odd to me. He is the sort of player I like to watch so he is someone I observe closely at half time etc. Perhaps he is just eccentric or immature but I commented to my companion that he looked like a drunken fan who had conned his way onto the pitch for a warm up.

He is a non conformist during drills and looks the rebellious type. I perceive some underlying reason as to his lack of game time recently and I suspect he won't be here much longer.

Just a hunch...

I am confident the Lambert would be clued in to Watts personality before he signed him. Clearly the lad has talent, perhaps Lambert is not as able to handle Watt's downside as he thought he might. Who knows, it is a little puzzling as to why he's not getting on after starting a couple.

We did score 3 though, yes? 2nd successive home game (league). When did we last do that with Rhodesy playing Stuart?

On Brown, is it in the stars for him to score the winner vs the inbreds? I am sure we all gave a thought to Jordan when Brown missed his chances. The Rhodes thing rumbles on.

Yawn.

Brown has Lambert's improved midfield behind him, Rhodes didn't get that opportunity and instead had to get his binoculars out to link up with his midfield. How's the higher pressing midfield working out for Brown?

Not sure the need for the snarky comment when you can check the last time yourself. And such vitriol when we are having to watch that lummox up front is very much misplaced. He makes Jason Roberts look like Thierry Henry.

I see Rhodes' badly timed departure as a lose-lose for both him and Rovers, and a missed opportunity. But we move on.

Two wins in the last two home games- albeit a VERY fortunate one yesterday. Can't do much better than that. I'll ignore the away hammering in between because I can't comment as I didn't see it.

I was very disappointed with Corey Evans yesterday. Bar one run in the first half he was completely off the pace. I signalled him out for praise after the Fulham game as he was outstanding; he ran the midfield that game and that allowed others to shine.

That defensive centre mid position is so important; I believe it to be the most important position in a football team. If that player is winning his battle generally the overall team performance will be good. Conversely if he is having a poor game generally the overall team will struggle.

Yesterday Evans was invisible and ineffective. I think the team struggled as a result.

I think Evans is a very capable player. But he needs to be more consistent in that role. It is no good being outstanding one week and rubbish the next. Perhaps he was carrying an injury most of the game, although my mates and I joked that he probably had a taxi waiting to take him to Manchester for the Frampton fight when he came off!

As for Brown I do feel a little sorry for him in that he tries his best. Although I recall 2 of the worst attacking headers I've ever seen! The first was in the first half, cross from the left, he actually did a glancing header that may well have been on target, but it hit is shoulder and went in the opposite direction out of play.

The second was in the second half. Cross from the left. He was in acres of space on line with the penalty spot and the left post. He completely mistimed his header and ballooned it towards the direction of the left corner flag.

Both attempts were met by laughter from those around me!

I have cringed when hearing Brown ironically cheered off in the past (wasn't at the game yesterday) but do think some go over the top in their description of the "abuse" he receives. The man gets paid around half a million pounds a year for being a pants footballer and I don't see why the paying customer should be afraid of jeering him stealing a living, no matter how hard he tries. If you paid to go and see a show at the theatre and some of the cast members were so woefully out of place that they were fluffing the entire performance, what would you do? Chances are you'd either walk out, jeer or reach for the bucket of rotten veg at your feet. Why should it be any different when it comes to footballers (who earn a damn sight more than most performers)?

There is of course a line where jeering becomes abuse. It seems to be ok when supporter frustrations are aimed at a referee or an opposition player/manager and perhaps some fans take issue with others criticising "one of our own", though plenty of managers have been on the end of far worse than Brown has, from their own supporters too. I am sure most fans, even those critical of those booing Brown, have shouted the odd derogatory comment at their own players. Go to any game and hundreds/thousands of fans will shout something at some point. Whether it be lamenting a misplaced pass or poor finish. Even the best striker we've had in recent years would get shouts of how he's sh*te and doesn't do anything but score (probably from a few members on here...) so what do people expect the reception to be for a man who might well run around after the opposition but often seems unfit and has been for years, fails to put any effort into finding positions off the ball, doesn't set up his teammates, can't score for toffee and rarely contributes even half as much as Rhodes did to a game?! But he gets a free ride from some because just because he tries?!

Brown is THAT bad that near enough every fan in the ground simultaneously moans when he does something wrong (often). It's pretty unavoidable that he's going to hear it but what should everyone do? Just keep schtum and clap Browny on as this millionaire runs around like a headless chicken? When the man ACTUALLY starts to receive abuse, then I'd understand the concerns and criticisms of fellow fans. I just think some are too overly PC with their reactions to the criticisms of players and the comparisons to Robert Enke. Not to take away from the cases of Enke and other professionals who have suffered similar but what we are seeing with Brown is a different kettle of fish entirely. Soon the suggestion will be to never jeer a misplaced pass just in case one of the darlings gets upset.

As I said, there's a line between criticism and genuine abuse and I believe BRFC fans are yet to cross it when it comes to Brown. If he's that upset about getting jeered for being promoted above his station (and earning a killing in the process I might add), he should take a pay-cut, ply it out in League Two or below and he can be a hero without any nasty Wovers fans telling him he's pants. If someone offered me ten grand a week to keep myself in tip-top condition (more than could be said for Brown) and play football despite my limited ability, I'd run around for 90 minutes a week and take all the boos and abuse you could throw at me... And you know what? I'd still be laughing when I checked my bank balance after full time.

Been saying for a while that a mass exodus of players is required if we want to change the whole mentality of the club, a fresh set of faces for the fans is what is needed. Constantly playing Brown is like a slap in the face to the fans and a constant reminder of what we could become if we don't get a better quality of player in.

Nail on the head there Neal. Mentality. Certain players at this club are not strong enough, call it not professional enough. Mediocrity, one good performance in 3 seems ok to some. We want 90 minutes of EFFORT. Each game every game. I don't know what it is but each time I think we have turned a corner here comes a dismal showing. Baffling.

Been walking in the Lakes since Friday am and have just read the reports of the game.

I am absolutely disgusted at the vile abuse and treatment handed out to Chris Brown and others. Get a life.

Vile abuse, seriously Preston?.

Stats, damned lies and... whatever. I'll cut it another way:

5 goals in 9 games, and 6 goals in the last two at home - after Lambert changed the colour of the nets.

Pick the bones out of that one.

And would it have helped Rhodes? :unsure:

As into Rhodesy as you are are thought you would know he's colour blind. Would make no difference, but I am sure it is helping the current crop. We should ask Brown what shade he'd like. Did Rhodesy bag any yesterday? I have not looked.

Archived