BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stanley

Thought it was a very poor game on an awful pitch. Despite the late setback Stanley are still in it, but they probably need to get the first goal at the Crown Ground. As an aside, quite what Rangers see in Windass is beyond me. Very naive player.

I wouldn't shed any tears if Stanley fail.

I've no connection to the town, so I see things in black and white :

Quite simply, Rovers need all the fans we can get.

Any threat to our dwindling fanbase is a further hinderence.

Same for me. In fact I have more 'affiliation' with Wimbledon.

As I remember being at junior school in May 1988 - when literally ALL the glory hunters supported Liverpool....needless to say the Monday after the FA Cup final was a better day :tu:

Same for me. In fact I have more 'affiliation' with Wimbledon.

As I remember being at junior school in May 1988 - when literally ALL the glory hunters supported Liverpool....needless to say the Monday after the FA Cup final was a better day :tu:

No ties to LFC but, as a pure fball lover, I Remember being gutted Wimbledon won.

Liverpool were great to watch that season.

Beating Forest 5nil on Sports night remains a great childhood memory.

Spellbound. Must've worn the tape out.

No Ill will to Stanley, they're a great old name,

Rovers come first. :)

Keeping the Liverpool link like a true TV professional ^_^

This is pretty much my first (and only) memory of Accrington Stanley. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieK7b4KLL4

Though of course I should state that if pushed I'd 'casually support' Accrington Stanley if I was watching a play-off final on TV. Just so long as it's not against Rovers in 2018 (League 1).

Yep ..The curse of third spot(stanley fourth) having to play in the playoffs...Looks like Brighton have it too..7th in the league wins the prize...Reckon its a pressure and stress thing..Third place licks their wounds, 7th cant believe their luck so enjoy the moment...Promotion favourites Portsmouth(cos they reckon they would have filled Wembley) have been tonked..so anything goes.in these games...It aint over yet though..should be a good game on Wednedsay so looking forward to it

Edited by JC4LAB

Yep ..The curse of third spot(stanley fourth) having to play in the playoffs...Looks like Brighton have it too..7th in the league wins the prize...Reckon its a pressure and stress thing..Third place licks their wounds, 7th cant believe their luck so enjoy the moment...Promotion favourites Portsmouth(cos they reckon they would have filled Wembley) have been tonked..so anything goes.in these games...It aint over yet though..should be a good game on Wednedsay so looking forward to it

The supposed play-off curse of the highest finishing team is actually a fallacy. Since the play-offs were introduced in the 1988/89 season, the team that finished highest (of the four play-off teams) in the league has been promoted more often than the teams finishing in the three lower positions. Here are the stats:

Championship

Third place: 10 promotions (37%)

Fifth place: 7 promotions (26%)

Fourth place: 5 promotions (18.5%)

Sixth place: 5 promotions (18.5%)

League One

Third place: 9 promotions (33.5%)

Fourth place: 7 promotions (26%)

Sixth place: 6 promotions (22%)

Fifth place: 5 promotions (18.5%)

League Two

Fourth place: 13 promotions (48%)

Fifth place: 5 promotions (18.5%)

Seventh place: 5 promotions (18.5%)

Sixth place: 4 promotions (15%)

Thankfully we bucked the trend in 1991/92 by finishing sixth and getting promoted through the play-offs.

• Like 1

I think it's more about momentum and form. Teams on the up tend to get promoted. In Stanley's case, dropping down into the play-offs from third might be the psychological issue. Reading in the paper at the weekend, Coleman said he was literally gutted and would take a while to get over - even if they were promoted.

In my view they've bottled it and missed their chance. It'd be good to be wrong as its good for the area to have successful teams and League Two is always precarious. One bad season away from a massive uphill slog.

• Like 1

In an ideal world, if successful, Wimbledon deserve huge credit. A club literally stolen, and relocated. Rebuilt from the bottom up. A wonderful achievement.

MK Dons are an insult to the English game, and I wish them nothing but ill. (The views are my own).

Edited by A cup of beans
  • Like 4