BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stanley

30 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

They won again yesterday, and the gap between themselves and 4th is now 8 points. Barring some disaster, they’ll be in League 1 next season.

I was referring to population of both 

Oops double post

Edited by USABlue

50 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

They won again yesterday, and the gap between themselves and 4th is now 8 points. Barring some disaster, they’ll be in League 1 next season.

I was referring to population of both towns. 

In that case it's Forest Green Rovers.

• 2 weeks later...

How do they have the 'equal lowest' budget?

I keep seeing this mentioned but I'd be very surprised if their budget was to the penny the same as another club.

I said on Thursday night that 2 wins over Easter would do it for them. Think they're up now. Extra pressure for us to get promoted.

Amazing what can be done by an owner who is interested. Bowland Brewery bus for away fans, Magpie ale, Winners Hour in the bar after with pints for £1. Cask ale served in the fanzone. Cheap tickets = substantial increase in attendance. Meanwhile Rovers carry on with their £27 tickets and £2 surcharges.

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Sounds about right, quite a few Hyndburn based folk on my Facebook who I know were Rovers fans have suddenly found an undying love for Accrington Stanley.

It proper makes me cringe seeing Rovers fans go and watch Accy Stanley who don't watch us any more.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard a few weeks back that Venkys won't sack Mowbray even without promotion. The exception being if the juggernaut that is Accrington gets promoted because the odds of promotion next year would drop 90%. 

:rolleyes:

Seriously the pressure couldn't be higher (or at least shouldn't) than it already is. I don't see Accrington's promotion bid as having any relevance to Rovers whatsoever. How are Darwen doing at the moment? <_<

Edited by Vinjay17

• Moderation Lead
34 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Yeah I heard a few weeks back that Venkys won't sack Mowbray even without promotion. The exception being if the juggernaut that is Accrington gets promoted because the odds of promotion next year would drop 90%. 

:rolleyes:

Seriously the pressure couldn't be higher (or at least shouldn't) than it already is. I don't see Accrington's promotion bid as having any relevance to Rovers whatsoever. How are Darwen doing at the moment? <_<

Given that if they are promoted and we aren't, they'll be in the same league as us and the fact that a lot of Rovers fans (myself included) live in Accrington/Hyndburn, then I'd say it's very relevant!

Just now, K-Hod said:

Given that if they are promoted and we aren't, they'll be in the same league as us and the fact that a lot of Rovers fans (myself included) live in Accrington/Hyndburn, then I'd say it's very relevant!

Only if you see them as relevant. I regarded fixtures like Rovers v Leeds, Rovers v Newcastle as big fixtures in the Championship especially with all 3 being leading Premier League clubs not too long ago. What relevance are Accrington (in comparison to say Walsall or Gillingham) other than being closer in distance? In L1 this season I considered the biggest fixture to be Wigan but nothing to do with them being in the NW. 

Guess I'm being arrogant and possibly still stuck in the 90's for not having any interest in Accrington whatsoever. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yes it is. Stanley were one step up from a pub team when I was growing up. I think because of that I never gave them a second glance. I don't now either and I'm an Accy lad. What they have managed to achieved is remarkable. Promotion to League 1 would be up there with Leicester winning the league as far as achievements go. Coleman has done a tremendous job.

The once chasm like gulf between Stanley and Rovers could be no more. Not good, but I'll give Stanley all the credit they deserve. 

No more? What a load of rubbish. Of course there's a chasm between Rovers and Accrington. Back in the PL (at least the 2nd stint) I was treated as mentally subnormal for my hatred of United despite them being a regular opponent. Yeah OK their fans are everywhere but the Blackburn public ought to be more hostile towards them than those in Walsall or Gillingham. That's OK but people can't take a bit of teasing from Accrington fans? I would simply ignore them there's absolutely no significance to playing them at all.

I certainly don't want to play them but same could be said for most L1 clubs. At least those who have spent most of their history in L1 and L2. The main problem though is this type of fixture brings out the absolute worst in parochial attitudes. Back in the Prem had Rovers drawn Accrington in the League Cup (I can't remember if they had been promoted to football league at that stage but you get the point) it would have been a highlight of the season for some fans even if the game was at Ewood. Ridiculous. The only plus point of being drawn away to them would have been proximity. 

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

One issue I have is the 'shrinking' of Rovers targeted catchment areas.

Back in the 90s and 00s when Stanley were a non-league outfit and Rovers a Premier League club a large amount of support from Hyndburn naturally gathered at Rovers, and the club didn't need to make any effort to achieve that as people will always come when its Premier League football on offer. These days a lot of those people continue to support Rovers and always will, but the club should consider those areas to be Rovers areas and should boost Rovers in those places. I always felt that when we were in the Premier League we should have opened a Rovers store of some description in Accrington town centre.

These days, through a combination of Rovers' demise and Stanley's rise, it appears that Rovers don't make any effort to draw new support from Hyndburn.

I'm talking about advertising, going into schools, pushing promotions, offering free/cheap tickets, that sort of thing. The club do good work sending players into schools and doing things with kids but that seems to be limited to a radius of about 4 miles from Ewood, and nothing seems to happen beyond the confines of Darwen and Blackburn.

Hyndburn has always been a big catchment area for Rovers. Places like Ossy and Rishton are as close to Blackburn as they are to Accy. There's a population of 50,000+ there on the doorstep yet because it isn't Blackburn with Darwen Council any efforts to tap into it are a 'no no'. I suspect Rovers are worried about Stanley complaining to the League about 'encroaching' onto their patch. I once got told there were rules in place preventing clubs 'encroaching' onto other clubs areas. That didn't stop PNE advertising season tickets in the Telegraph and on the back of Blackburn buses.

The attitude seems to be that Hyndburn (a made up entity in itself) is Stanley territory so Rovers leave them to try and tap into those areas whilst Rovers don't. That's a mistake. Rovers are the dominant force in those areas and need to act as such. Burnley have a lot of support in those regions but don't need to worry so much at this stage as they have the product to offer.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

I've made this point before but before Jack died Williams was quoted as saying "we must see ourselves as being Lancashire". Yet after promotion it was constantly "small town this, small town that" even though that's untrue. I know you agree with me on that JH but others have been brainwashed. Recently I mentioned a poll in Bolton with more people saying they would rather be regarded as a town than a city. I can't understand that and what bothered me most was knowing it would be exactly the same here. At least in Bolton more people might know about "City Challenge" which few on here seem to have heard of despite Blackburn entering it.

Like yourself JH I still see Hyndburn, etc as a catchment area. Darwen certainly is as well. Back in the Prem I saw the rest of Lancashire as a catchment area. I also regarded parts of West Yorkshire as a catchment area with Leeds perhaps being the main competition. Huddersfield should be competing for that now. I guess Burnley should be too but their name is so dreary and boring I just can't see why anyone outside the town itself would be interested. I do recognise not everyone has my way of thinking but in this case they certainly should. I know people are aware my interest in them isn't as high as others but it hardly helps when the name itself irritates me simply for being so dreary and dull sounding. At least Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath are amusingly unmarketable names. I've said before they should change their name to Burnley Clarets at the very least just to break up the monotony. Even Bradford seems like a better alternative to me for people in that West Yorkshire region. Of course Bradford are like Bristol City/Rovers and Birmingham City proving that club size isn't always dependent on location. In many cases it is but Rovers are a far bigger club than Bradford (and Birmingham) as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying Blackburn has a divine right to city status but the fact is its been considered for a reason. 

Edited by Vinjay17

• Moderation Lead

I've no desire to over- think or over-complicate things Vinjay.

I feel like it can be summed up simply as:

They're relevant geographically (especially as I live and work quite near to their ground) and are being talked about much more locally as in spite of loads of financial problems historically, they're punching above their weight.

Perhaps it's different in Blackburn, I don't live there and only go to Blackburn to play football at Soccer Dome, watch Rovers or occasionally pick something up from the town centre as there's a massive lack of shops in Accrington in comparison.

If you don't think they're relevant to you, no worries, but you could always just keep scrolling onto the next thread or not say anything, you know?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

They're relevant geographically (especially as I live and work quite near to their ground) and are being talked about much more locally as in spite of loads of financial problems historically, they're punching above their weight.

Perhaps it's different in Blackburn, I don't live there and only go to Blackburn to play football at Soccer Dome, watch Rovers or occasionally pick something up from the town centre as there's a massive lack of shops in Accrington in comparison.

If you don't think they're relevant to you, no worries, but you could always just keep scrolling onto the next thread or not say anything, you know?

As someone works over in Accrington, I can honestly say the town centre is depressed, and short of any real decent shops. The majority of people who use the place frequently are therefore very short on disposable income, I would assume. We have to be honest with ourselves- are people who use Accrington town centre frequently going to able to afford a ticket/ tickets ? I’d be very doubtful! 

The best way to get back into the Accrington area would be through going into schools, through coaching and free school tickets. Having said that, the best way to get back into Accrington and other areas would be through getting back into the Premier League. 

I suppose it's dependant on where you live. In the 90s when we where challenging for the title and Wigan where playing leek town or some random unknown I grew up surrounded by and hating man united. Like vinjay that hatred will never go away. My hatred of Burnley has grew to equal propertions over the years due to social media etc and through attending the fixtures between both clubs. This season I have all the banter with the Wigan fans as I live in Wigan and don't give accrington a seconds thought. I always look out for Wigan games hoping they did well (until this season) . I would never give accy a seconds thought even if we do play them next season whilst not trying to be dismissive of their achievements. So if your in the accrington area I understand why fans feel the way they do , the same way the rest of us couldn't care less regarding rovers but simply admire a wonderful effort this season similarly of Shrewsbury or dare I say it ....them

59 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Maybe you could question why I clicked on thread in first place (I certainly did prior but simply was tired of seeing the topic) but you can't blame me for responding after reading it. At least this page and the last anyway. I'm sorry but to suggest Accrington adds any relevance whatsoever to Rovers winning promotion this season is as small minded as it gets. Could you add a "hide thread" option possibly for those that are either of no interest, cause annoyance or sometimes both? I don't ignore any posters though and there's certainly a couple I can't abide at all. You aren't one of those and if I recall right admins/mods can't be ignored anyway? 

I grew up in Blackburn of course (1986 being my year of birth) and that coincided with the 1990's. I didn't know any Burnley or Accrington fans then and I still don't. I always felt kids who supported United seemed more arrogant and dislikeable in general. Not to mention the club itself and the people who played/managed there! As for social media I don't really get involved in many conversations with Burnley fans. I also joined this forum shortly before twitter existed but I guess Facebook/Myspace was still around. That hasn't changed anything I still think United fans are the most obnoxious around not that I engage in conversation with them either. I don't like it when people mention Burnley fans chanting about Jack obviously but people ought to be more bothered about his family/trustees. Plus I don't believe Jack gave a toss about Burnley anyway. Certainly not while he was owner (can't say the 90's were ruined by the absence of any Burnley fixtures) and the whole "hatred" thing started more in the 1970's when Jack was already in his 40's. 

Edited by Vinjay17

I've no gripe whatsoever with Stanley. A lot of my friends are Stanley supporters and I've been to numerous Stanley games home and away over the years with them just taking an interest. Its good to see them doing well up against the odds in a depressed area.

I don't want us to be in the same league as them as I would consider it an embarrassment if we were playing them as equals. Yes it would be down to their spectacular rise but on a personal level I would find it hard to take and the ramifications of competing in the same league as them, or heaven forbid not beating them home and away, would not be pleasant. Some people would relish it as being good for Lancashire or a good day out on the Crown Ground but not for me thanks.

I don't see why the emergence of Stanley as a League force should prevent Rovers making efforts to obtain or build up support in Oswaldtwistle, Harwood and Accrington. Cheap tickets for school kids, sending players into schools etc. Its a dog eat dog world and we need to be pushing Rovers in our traditional backyard, yet it seems we've backed off doing that and have retreated into our own shell of BWDBC areas. Same applies to Chorley, Leyland and South Ribble - all areas with sizeable Rovers support and areas we should be trying to expand our influence into yet I don't see much evidence of that happening despite fierce competition in all directions.

Vinjay's belaboured point does have a little merit, and I understand his view; he's not from Accrington, so he has no affinity. But it is relevant, certainly not small minded, to think that the 2 clubs in the same league is bad. 20 years go Stanley were in the Northern Prem, and Rovers were in the actual Prem.

• Moderation Lead
46 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Maybe you could question why I clicked on thread in first place (I certainly did prior but simply was tired of seeing the topic) but you can't blame me for responding after reading it. At least this page and the last anyway. I'm sorry but to suggest Accrington adds any relevance whatsoever to Rovers winning promotion this season is as small minded as it gets. Could you add a "hide thread" option possibly for those that are either of no interest, cause annoyance or sometimes both? I don't ignore any posters though and there's certainly a couple I can't abide at all. You aren't one of those and if I recall right admins/mods can't be ignored anyway? 

I grew up in Blackburn of course (1986 being my year of birth) and that coincided with the 1990's. I didn't know any Burnley or Accrington fans then and I still don't. I always felt kids who supported United seemed more arrogant and dislikeable in general. Not to mention the club itself and the people who played/managed there! As for social media I don't really get involved in many conversations with Burnley fans. I also joined this forum shortly before twitter existed but I guess Facebook/Myspace was still around. That hasn't changed anything I still think United fans are the most obnoxious around not that I engage in conversation with them either. I don't like it when people mention Burnley fans chanting about Jack obviously but people ought to be more bothered about his family/trustees. Plus I don't believe Jack gave a toss about Burnley anyway. Certainly not while he was owner (can't say the 90's were ruined by the absence of any Burnley fixtures) and the whole "hatred" thing started more in the 1970's when Jack was already in his 40's. 

In short, no. Everyone likes different things Vinjay so I can’t personalise the forum to yours or anyone else’s specification.

I’ll leave it there as you’ve missed my point and you keep ranting in posts about things I didn’t even say.

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

In short, no. Everyone likes different things Vinjay so I can’t personalise the forum to yours or anyone else’s specification.

I’ll leave it there as you’ve missed my point and you keep ranting in posts about things I didn’t even say.

I answered your question and didn't miss your point at all. I won't post on this thread again.