BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stanley

Back then in Division 4 they were getting gates of around 3,000 from memory.

In their worst season for attendances, Burnley had six gates below two thousand. No Burnley fans remember that though.

Regarding Stanley, I wish them all the best, including promotion. I went to quite a few of their games, home and away, during their rise through the divisions. I can't help feeling, that should they go up this year, it will be a bridge too far for them and could do them more harm than good. They already pay the lowest wages in the entire football league, so I suppose it will depend on what the new bloke will stump up in terms of funding to attract any players they wish to buy.

A friend of mine who is a Jack Walker Upper season ticket holder, totally fed up with the Ewood experience, is going to Stanley this coming Saturday.

• Like 2

while stanley are indeed minnows, as our geographically closest professional club, we really should be seeing them as rivals, certainly in terms of fan caption areas. and any time soon they could be our league rivals; very unlikely this season, though not impossible, but near future isn't beyond the realms.

do you think blackpool fans foresaw being in a relegation scrap with their neighbouring 'little brother' that some would go and 'support' when blackpool were not playing/playing away?

stanley are a pro club, they're neighbours and thus should be classed as rivals.

• Like 1

Some posters on here, may remember the rise of Colne Dynamoes and that coincided with Burnley nearly tumbling out of the league. There were some strong rumours at the time, that Colne were going to start to play at Turf Moor had they continued with their success. I have no proof of it, but I would bet some Clarets fans left them and started to watch Colne. Back then in Division 4 they were getting gates of around 3,000 from memory. That all faded into the distance, sadly for Colne and I can only see the same happening to Stanley eventually.

Talks took place over the ground share and Burnley didn't go with the idea, probably because Colne would then have been a conference club and Burnley a 4th division club. At that time there wasnt a huge difference In the gates either. When Burnley didn't agree to the ground share Colne couldn't go up to the conference due to an inadequate ground.

Massive win at Hartlepool after Saturday's draw leaves Stanley clear in 2nd place.

Remaining games:

23 Apr - York C (H)

30 Apr - Wycombe W (A)

7 May - Stevenage (H)

Need to win the two home games against struggling sides and get a point at Wycombe which will be tough. 7 points will surely do the job now for Stanley.

• Backroom

Just bought my Wycombe away tickets/Stevenage at home tickets for Stanleys last 2 games. We've nothing to play for so may as well see Stanley over the line.

Come on Stanley!!

• Like 1

This is a little sad of me but it suddenly struck me that if Accy get promoted, the Accy-Bolton game will set a world record gap between competitive fixtures. The last previous meeting was in the 1892/3 season...

A little matter of waiting 118 years for settling a local rivalry.

• Like 2

This is a little sad of me but it suddenly struck me that if Accy get promoted, the Accy-Bolton game will set a world record gap between competitive fixtures. The last previous meeting was in the 1892/3 season...

As Bolton have spent most of that time trying to build every other local team up as their 'big rival', maybe they can officially have Stanley.

• Like 2

118???

Isn't Stanley a different club anyway?

Yes but who cares? I wouldn't care if it happened to us either.I would simply see it as continuity.

I love these stories, just shows there is always hope.

As Gav says, the idea we would just disappear is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Isn't Stanley a different club anyway?

Yes. The original Accrington club that was in the League from 1888 until the early 1890s is totally different from Accrington Stanley. Indeed, Accrington Stanley were operating at the same time as the original 'Owd Reds' as they were known. Nonetheless, having watched Stanley whenever Rovers don't have a game, I really do hope they win promotion. Saturday's game at Wycombe will be the crunch for them. Win that and I think they will do it. Bristol Rovers have both the relegated clubs to play so should pick up six points so it will be tight. Give it another couple of years and Stanley v Rovers may well be our 'big' games of the season! Who would have thought that just a few years ago.

Yes. The original Accrington club that was in the League from 1888 until the early 1890s is totally different from Accrington Stanley. Indeed, Accrington Stanley were operating at the same time as the original 'Owd Reds' as they were known. Nonetheless, having watched Stanley whenever Rovers don't have a game, I really do hope they win promotion. Saturday's game at Wycombe will be the crunch for them. Win that and I think they will do it. Bristol Rovers have both the relegated clubs to play so should pick up six points so it will be tight. Give it another couple of years and Stanley v Rovers may well be our 'big' games of the season! Who would have thought that just a few years ago.

Do you think we would sell our allocation for the Wham Stadium?